Home – New Forums Starting your journey phone number on business card?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    pix2print.com.au
    • Total posts: 178
    Up
    ::

Hi guys,

I am about to print my first set of business cards and were wondering if I should add my personal mobile number on the cards or not.

I don’t want to add my personal number because my business is online and Australia-wide and eventually (hopefully) 1000’s of people will use my online website to create their photobooks.

Once I get to these numbers of customers using my website I would like to forward any support calls to a help-desk (probably a 1300 or 1800 number).

Should I invest the money now to set up the 1300 or 1800 number (and forward to my mobile)?
    Is the solution to create 2 business cards: one without and one with my personal number?

Any thoughts much appreciated…! Are any of you in a similar position where you are targeting the Australia-wide market and don’t really want to be called? What have you done to solve that?

Thanks,
    Jude

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up

I removed it from my cards because I did get enough calls at inappropriate and inconvenient times to be a nuisance. Also I found lots of people would call me directly by mobile (because I am the owner) when their question could easily be answered by a member of staff.

So unless you want calls at all times, regardless of what you are doing and especially if you want to employ others to answer queries then leave it off.

If you want someone to have your mobile number then just write it on the back of the card when you give to them. This doesn’t come across as unprofessional it comes across as “welcome to the inner sanctum I don’t give this number to everyone”.

regards

Steve

Steve_Minshall
    Up

I removed it from my cards because I did get enough calls at inappropriate and inconvenient times to be a nuisance. Also I found lots of people would call me directly by mobile (because I am the owner) when their question could easily be answered by a member of staff.

So unless you want calls at all times, regardless of what you are doing and especially if you want to employ others to answer queries then leave it off.

If you want someone to have your mobile number then just write it on the back of the card when you give to them. This doesn’t come across as unprofessional it comes across as “welcome to the inner sanctum I don’t give this number to everyone”.

regards

Steve

pix2print.com.au
    Up

Thanks heaps Steve!

I am so glad that I am not the only one that faces this dilema and yeah that is exactly what I am afraid of – calls at any time of day (and night)…

I noticed on your website you only list your local number – have you been tempted to go 1300 or 1800? And if you have, why did you decide dit wasn’t for you?

I was thinking exactly that, to write my number on the back for people I can / want to give it to, but was wondering if that looked unprofessional! I guess the way you look at it makes sense.

It would be interesting to hear from anybody else also in the (online) Autralia-wide business who has decided to add their personal number despite calls at any time of the day!

Thanks,
    Jude

pix2print.com.au
    Up

Thanks heaps Steve!

I am so glad that I am not the only one that faces this dilema and yeah that is exactly what I am afraid of – calls at any time of day (and night)…

I noticed on your website you only list your local number – have you been tempted to go 1300 or 1800? And if you have, why did you decide dit wasn’t for you?

I was thinking exactly that, to write my number on the back for people I can / want to give it to, but was wondering if that looked unprofessional! I guess the way you look at it makes sense.

It would be interesting to hear from anybody else also in the (online) Autralia-wide business who has decided to add their personal number despite calls at any time of the day!

Thanks,
    Jude

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

Should I invest the money now to set up the 1300 or 1800 number (and forward to my mobile)?

yes

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

yes

Steve_Minshall
    Up
    pix2print.com.au, post: 108305 wrote:

Thanks,
    Jude

We are a b&m store in Sydney and our store is located at the central point of the universe so I am ok with a local number.:) But seriously while we do bits of mail order stuff our target market is Sydney so I am happy for the number to reflect this.

Steve_Minshall
    Up
    pix2print.com.au, post: 108305 wrote:

Thanks,
    Jude

We are a b&m store in Sydney and our store is located at the central point of the universe so I am ok with a local number.:) But seriously while we do bits of mail order stuff our target market is Sydney so I am happy for the number to reflect this.

pix2print.com.au
    Up
    King, post: 108306 wrote:
    yes

was afraid the answer would be yes to that ;)

I guess it makes sense for my kind of business – I guess I was hoping somebody would have a magic (free) way around this for now…

I’ve already done some reading in the old forum posts and will start doing some more research online into cost etc. I’ll try to recap my findings and post on forum for others! Thanks King, much appreciated!

pix2print.com.au
    Up
    King, post: 108306 wrote:
    yes

was afraid the answer would be yes to that ;)

I guess it makes sense for my kind of business – I guess I was hoping somebody would have a magic (free) way around this for now…

I’ve already done some reading in the old forum posts and will start doing some more research online into cost etc. I’ll try to recap my findings and post on forum for others! Thanks King, much appreciated!

pix2print.com.au
    Up
    Steve_Minshall, post: 108308 wrote:

Thanks Steve, makes sense for you definitely! I’ll start looking into the 1300 and 1800 numbers and might delay the printing of the first business cards until I have solved this (for my situation).

pix2print.com.au
    Up
    Steve_Minshall, post: 108308 wrote:

Thanks Steve, makes sense for you definitely! I’ll start looking into the 1300 and 1800 numbers and might delay the printing of the first business cards until I have solved this (for my situation).

Ytelco
    • Total posts: 116
    Up

Hi Jude

1300 can be good as you can change the number it diverts to without changing your stationery.

If you are worried about calls at odd times, it can be set up to call a land line (home phone) during the day and switch to your mobile at night. If you don’t want to take calls, you can switch your mobile off.

If you are diverting to your home phone, just make sure that anyone else in the house is aware that it could be a business call and should answer the phone with this in mind.

Feel free to shoot me a message if you want any further info.

Cheers

Ytelco
    • Total posts: 116
    Up

Hi Jude

1300 can be good as you can change the number it diverts to without changing your stationery.

If you are worried about calls at odd times, it can be set up to call a land line (home phone) during the day and switch to your mobile at night. If you don’t want to take calls, you can switch your mobile off.

If you are diverting to your home phone, just make sure that anyone else in the house is aware that it could be a business call and should answer the phone with this in mind.

Feel free to shoot me a message if you want any further info.

Cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.