• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up
    ::

Has anyone used PhoneGap yet? Adobe recently acquired it. If you’ve got mad skills in HTML, CSS and JavaScript you can use PhoneGap to build Apple and Android apps. (Supposedly) Anyone had tried it yet?

http://phonegap.com/

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Looks interesting.
    I’ll give it a little spin.

Steve

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up

This is similar to another program called Titanium; however at the end of the day nothing beats creating apps natively.

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up
    CondorCreative, post: 133382 wrote:
    This is similar to another program called Titanium; however at the end of the day nothing beats creating apps natively.
    Apart from the budgets…

Even at the web studio I previously worked at – high end clients/apps, winners of a number of Australia industry mobile app awards over the past few years – we started to look at ways to build most of the core functionality “in the cloud”, and deliver to various platforms via a native “shell”.

For some apps you need to build natively, for many though cloud based is the way to go, so perhaps these kinds of tools may work for many purposes.

Divert To Mobile
    Up
    CondorCreative, post: 133382 wrote:
    however at the end of the day nothing beats creating apps natively.

agreed.
    I had a colleague who used to code in assembly. Its always best to code as close to the hardware as possible but some of us toe dippers dont have the skill for that :(

Steve

Uncomplicating
    • Total posts: 731
    Up
    IncredibleCo, post: 133352 wrote:
    Has anyone used PhoneGap yet? Adobe recently acquired it. If you’ve got mad skills in HTML, CSS and JavaScript you can use PhoneGap to build Apple and Android apps. (Supposedly) Anyone had tried it yet?

http://phonegap.com/

Haven’t used it, but I did a little research a while ago.

Phonegap is the almost perfect demonstration of the realistic complexities of different operating systems and hardware and why the lack of standards governing the behaviour of phones and features makes a “one size fits all” approach a recipe for something close to a disaster.

The camera API guide for instance tells about a handful of camera features and then lists the “Quirks” for each platform e.g. Android, Blackberry, iOS and so on.

For iOS for example, it has the following, “Set quality below 50 to avoid memory error on some devices”

That’s enough to make me go out and hire someone to write a native solution.

IncredibleCo
    Up

It’s early days. Heck “PhoneGap Build” was only released today!

There are tonnes of apps out there that don’t use the camera.

That said, if it takes off the app market could end up like the web market, i.e. – anyone can build an app therefore lowest price wins!

Jason@Plumsale
    • Total posts: 155
    Up

We are currently mid way through developing a mobile application using PhoneGap. If you are html, css and javascript developers it really is a no brainer.

If your application is very media rich then developing in the native language of the phone would be a must. Data driven apps like ours PhoneGap is a good fit.

IncredibleCo
    Up
    Jason@Plumsale, post: 133421 wrote:
    We are currently mid way through developing a mobile application using PhoneGap. If you are html, css and javascript developers it really is a no brainer.

If your application is very media rich then developing in the native language of the phone would be a must. Data driven apps like ours PhoneGap is a good fit.

Cool Jason. Definitely keep us all apprised of how you go with your app. I’d be keen to see it for sure.

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up
    IncredibleCo, post: 133416 wrote:
    That said, if it takes off the app market could end up like the web market, i.e. – anyone can build an app therefore lowest price wins!
    That’s certainly not the web market I operate in. Just as it will never be the entire app market. The truism “you get what you pay for” is never more evident than in the digital arena.
    Zava Design
    Participant
    Up
    Jason@Plumsale, post: 133421 wrote:

Yep, 100% depends on the type of app you’re building. Many – maybe even most – apps will quite happily work very well integrating with “the cloud”.

And like I said, budgets…

Cloud based app at $10,000 for all platforms?

Or:
    iOS @ $10,000
    Android @ $10,000
    Windows Mobile @ $10,000
    …Blackberry?

Potentially some big $$$ you’re talking about there.

Uncomplicating
    • Total posts: 731
    Up

Choosing between embedded HTML/JavaScript vs native solutions isn’t as easy as it might sound.

Both require server side processing so that’s pretty much the same cost for both regardless.

An HTML/JavaScript version still has to manage the different hardware and operating systems. It might not be multiple versions, as would native applications, but there will still be plenty of opportunity for conditional code to deal with the different platforms.

The native solutions of course benefit from the knowledge learned from the first making the second and third versions far simpler to construct.

Native solutions will almost certainly be more expensive, but nowhere near as expensive as it might at first appear.

Ultimately, if cross platform availability and cost are the primary motivators, HTML/JavaScript has a lot going for it and something like PhoneGap is a decent enough offering.

But, if robustness and quality are your motivators, we need only look at the likes of Facebook for an answer as to the way to go. It recently dumped HTMLin favour of native solutions for its apps to get better performance and a better user experience. A few thousand extra to get a quality product might just turn out to be money very well spent.

Divert To Mobile
    Up

@ uncomplicating

Do you think it would be worth while for a play around and make a basic app or 2 just for the experience ?

Steve

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up

A few thousand extra…

For very small apps perhaps. But ballpark figure for anything with a modicum of real functionality, you’re looking at 5k per platform. Start getting into more complex apps and that figure rises pretty quickly.

Something I learnt very soon after going from project managing websites to mobile apps is that websites do not equal mobile apps in terms of dev complexity.

Companies the size of Facebook, yep of course they’ll go native, they’ve got the money for it, and the user expectation that everything should work “perfectly”. Their apps across various platforms would have cost into the hundreds of thousands all up. Not many companies can afford that.

IncredibleCo
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.