Home – New Forums Starting your journey Photography as small business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    SA
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi
    Does anyone has any idea how to start a small business of photography?

This might be easy to find out once I get connected with some photographer. Is there any photographer in this blog?

Thanks

SA

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

Hi SA,

You might have to provide a little more detail for others to help you. You say you want to start a photography business, but you want to connect with a photographer – so are you actually a photographer?

Some basics for starting your business would be:

Get ABN number
    Register Business Name
    Register Domain Name
    Establish Web Presence
    Get Business Cards, promotional material etc.
    Attend Chamber of commerce, networking events etc.
    Start making money

(of course I am summarising but these are a few basic pointers and you should investigate each one in more detail)

Ryan@auteched
    • Total posts: 25
    Up

Hi SA,

To start up any business, the plan is the most important thing. So, it is time to get started with a business plan. A business plan can allows you to set the goals that you want to reach and the strategies that you will use to set these goals. You must then establish yourself as a business by obtaining the licenses and permits that you will need to open up shop. This varies widely from city to city and from state to state, so check with your local licensing bureau to find out what requirements you need to meet in order to open your photography business. You should also open up a business bank account so that you can keep your finances separate from your regular finances. Next, the fun part: getting your equipment ready. The equipment that you purchase will depend on the amount of working capital you have to invest in the equipment, as well as the space that you have available for working, and the type of photography you will do. In your early start up phase, be as economical as possible; buy only the equipment that is needed to do the job without purchasing items that you may use just “sometimes”. Renting your equipment while your business gets on its feet is also a good choice. And don’t forget to purchase liability insurance for your business so that you can protect your assets in the event of an unforeseen occurrence where you might be sued, someone becomes injured on your premises, or if your equipment is damaged or stolen.

After you have set up shop, it is time to market your business. If you are doing assignment type work, be sure to let the local schools know about what you offer, and give them a very competitive price quote. Take out ad space in your local newspapers, and establish a website so that your photography business is included in any local search query.

Hope this helps you to start up something.

If you are looking for more support, please visit our Small Business Meeting and Support Room.

Follow our support channel on twitter @msau

tassie
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

I have a small photography business which I started a year ago. I still work full time though, so weekend work is what I do. My advice to you is: know your equipment and your craft inside out. Learn Photoshop and Lightroom. You do not mention if you are a competent photographer or not. Are you ready to charge money for what you do ? You must have high standards and skill levels to make it work for you and make some money, there is a lot of competation out there. Know your market and what your goals are. Ultimately if you are a good photographer with good people/ business skills , you will get the customers but turning it into a full time business is another story.

Netorigin
    • Total posts: 421
    Up
    AgentMail, post: 68764 wrote:
    Hi SA,

You might have to provide a little more detail for others to help you. You say you want to start a photography business, but you want to connect with a photographer – so are you actually a photographer?

Some basics for starting your business would be:

Get ABN number
    Register Business Name
    Register Domain Name
    Establish Web Presence
    Get Business Cards, promotional material etc.
    Attend Chamber of commerce, networking events etc.
    Start making money

(of course I am summarising but these are a few basic pointers and you should investigate each one in more detail)

A great simple summary. Web hosting and web design would fall under the ‘Web Presence’ point.

Cheers,
    Shaun

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    tassie, post: 69784 wrote:
    I have a small photography business which I started a year ago. I still work full time though, so weekend work is what I do. My advice to you is: know your equipment and your craft inside out. Learn Photoshop and Lightroom. You do not mention if you are a competent photographer or not. Are you ready to charge money for what you do ? You must have high standards and skill levels to make it work for you and make some money, there is a lot of competation out there. Know your market and what your goals are. Ultimately if you are a good photographer with good people/ business skills , you will get the customers but turning it into a full time business is another story.

Hi Tassie,
    Thanks for that great advice to SA. It’s much appreciated.

I hope you enjoy being part of our community, and look forward to hearing more about your business in due course.

All the best,
    Jayne

kristyb
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

I run a photography business which is my main source of income (currently also starting a side project as I now have a toddler and small baby). Where are you at photography wise? Do you have a professional kit? Have you built a portfolio and are now ready to start charging clients?

I will be honest with you, running a photography business can be a very hard slog as the market is very saturated these days due to the increase in consumer DSLR’s. There are so many people out there charging a pittance as it’s just a bit of pocket money for them. You need to be able to set yourself apart from this type of photography by providing a high quality product and experience.

AdvancedPetSitting
    • Total posts: 357
    Up
    kristyb, post: 69998 wrote:
    I run a photography business which is my main source of income (currently also starting a side project as I now have a toddler and small baby). Where are you at photography wise? Do you have a professional kit? Have you built a portfolio and are now ready to start charging clients?

I will be honest with you, running a photography business can be a very hard slog as the market is very saturated these days due to the increase in consumer DSLR’s. There are so many people out there charging a pittance as it’s just a bit of pocket money for them. You need to be able to set yourself apart from this type of photography by providing a high quality product and experience.

I agree with Kristyb, photography is one of the toughest industries to break in. First there are the famous photographers who get the best assignments, and second there are so many people who are quite good with Photoshop and/or Lightroom that they don’t feel the need to use a photographer.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

I fear SA is a wannabe – never came back here…..

kristyb
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    King, post: 70037 wrote:
    I fear SA is a wannabe – never came back here…..

Hopefully SA hasn’t gone out and decided to just charge $100 for the cd of digital files like so many others are doing these days *sigh*.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.