Home – New Forums Tech talk Photos on website: permission and credit issues

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    JaneB
    • Total posts: 324
    Up
    ::

Not sure which category of the forum to put this question in..

I have had some professional photos taken which are to be used on my new website when I have one. The photographer has given me the 99-year-rights to use release but because he discounted his fee I also need to give credit to his company when a photo appears.

On my new website I will have a page called “Press release” or “For the media” where a commercial newspaper or internet organisation can use these photos which will be sized and made ready for instant use.

How can I word it so that although I’m giving them permission to use the photos they also need to give credit?

Are there any pitfalls about the use of photos that I should be aware of?

Thanks
    Jane

Shane – CM Marketing
    • Total posts: 36
    Up

Hi Jane,

I think the best and easiest way is to apply a wetermark to the photo. This is an embedded text on the photo that says the photographers name, website etc. It is usually in the bottom corner of the photo. The words are actually part of the photo, so it cannot be used without the credit being given.

That’s what I do to many of my photo & video products when I make “credit given” deals.

Your photographer should be happy to do this for you if you are unfamiliar with Photoshop.

Hope this helps!

JaneB
    Up

Ok – thanks for that. It’s interesting that he didn’t suggest it himself.

PS – what does it mean at the base of this thread “Already pinged” and the name of your company? (Always something to learn about the interconnectedness of marketing..).

Jane

Shane – CM Marketing
    Up

Hi Jane,

You are welcome… I’m not really sure what “already pinged” means. I have an
    inkling that it has to do with the “trackbacks” field. I put my site in that field when I posted.

Best of luck with your media releases!

Shane – CM Marketing
    Up

Jane, make sure you make a signature with a link to your site for your posts. It gives your site a backlink and enables other readers to check out your site easily…

JaneB
    Up
    Shane – CM Marketing, post: 71624 wrote:
    Jane, make sure you make a signature with a link to your site for your posts. It gives your site a backlink and enables other readers to check out your site easily…

I’m transitioning between websites so when my new one is almost up and running I’ll post it here for criticism.

Shane – CM Marketing
    Up

Sweet, look forward to it!

Kennethti
    • Total posts: 415
    Up

Good morning Jane,

I think you need to have a chat with your photographer about your intended use of the photos.

As you have described it you are aware that the copyright or ownership of the photos belong to your photographer and he has given you the right to use them.

This right may not extend to other people and you need to make sure that your photographer has given you the right to give other people permission to use those photographs.

victorng
    • Total posts: 626
    Up

You could just put on that page that a credit must be given and specify the form of the credit. It doesn’t need to be long-winded – e.g. ‘The following credit must accompany use of images: photo credit – xyz’. It can be part of whatever other usage terms you specify on that page.

Watermarks can be cropped out, be too intrusive, not scale up or down nicely, and generally be off-putting to publishers who are otherwise happy / required to provide a photo credit.

Cheers,
    Victor

Shane – CM Marketing
    Up
    victorng, post: 71676 wrote:
    Watermarks can be cropped out, be too intrusive, not scale up or down nicely, and generally be off-putting to publishers who are otherwise happy / required to provide a photo credit.

Jane, Victor has a good point, watermarks may be off putting to publishers. Maybe you could provide both options – with watermark and written credit without watermark.

If it is going to a newspaper, they may prefer the non-watermarked version.

Shane – CM Marketing
    Up
    Kennethti, post: 71673 wrote:

This right may not extend to other people and you need to make sure that your photographer has given you the right to give other people permission to use those photographs.

Kenneth is right, you should probably check the agreement made with your photographer.

JaneB
    Up

This is what the agreement says ” …give you free open licence for 99 years and it will be noted in the meta tag. We always retain copyright unless the client purchases the copyright by written agreement.”

It is what I negotiated before the shoot. I made it clear that some of the photos were to be used for the media release section of my new website.

The photographer agreed with the above comments on watermarks and said that a simple credit was preferable to a watermark because some media outlets were put off by watermarks.

So – thanks everyone – I’ll just go by what Victor says and keep it simple.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.