Home – New Forums Money matters Pitching a job to a company and offering to work on commission

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    TinyBiz
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Would love some advice on how to go about this:

There is a company that I am looking to buy product from and after the initial contact with them I have realised they could increase their sales if they marketed the company a lot better. I have marketing experience and believe I can greatly increase the company’s revenue, however I’ve never approached a company to create a position for me.

I don’t expect any company would agree to hire someone on $1500+ a week for a position that they didn’t even advertise for, so I’m thinking of offering to work on a commission based salary with a small weekly retainer.

Should I ask for a commission on gross sales or a commission on sales above what the sales were for the year before? I doubt the company would want to offer commission on gross sales, but does the latter proposal leave you open to getting screwed because the company could say they only made so many sales when they actually made more? If anyone has worked in a commission only situation or there is anyone out there that employs a commission-only sales team, I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences. Any advice offered is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

I think its an excellent prospect.
    Any smart business manager should at least listen to what you have to say.

Your right that it is a tricky pitch and unfortunately I have no great ideas for you.

Tracking. Your going to need access to their P&L for the last few years to see how the company is tracking. Then of course the P&L after you have worked your magic. Your probably going to have to measure their current marketing effectiveness and compare it to your marketing strategy to project growth.

I may be over complicating things Im not sure.
    Do you have a track record for success?

Steve

Klublok
    • Total posts: 70
    Up

Definitely gross sales.

Alternatively, why don’t you also approach the company to be a distributor of their products? That way, you can control the sale price and you keep all the distribution network that you cultivate, and you are your own boss.

TinyBiz
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Thank you very much to the two of you for your advice. Klublok, I like and appreciate your alternate idea but it’s not really what I want to do.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.