Home – New Forums Starting your journey Pitching People to Advertise on My website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    lj
    • Total posts: 15
    Up
    ::

Hi there,

I have recently acquired a hobby website that I believe has large potential. I am at the first stages of sourcing web designers (put your hands up ppl!) and over the next few months while the new site is being delevoped I intend to approach potential advertisers, specifically in the music and entertainment areas. The site already generates a fair amount of traffic that I can use as statistics, and I anticipate my improvements will obviously generate more.

What I am looking for is someone that I can work with to put together a professional pitch to potential advertisers. I will be meeting people in person so I want to be professional and fully inform, with a package that I can leave with them. I am new in the field of selling space (it will be primarly banner ads and featured editorials) , and I need someone that has current Australian industry experience. I do not know how these transactions go down, and I would like help understanding what advertisers want, and to get a clear indication of what advertisers are paying for similar traffic/ websites.

I have questions like, do advertisers expect exclusivity so I can not promote similar products, does that have to be written into the contract or is it an blanket rule, should I offer the option upfront or only if they insist? Is it standard for the advertisers to supply their own images? If I employ someone to find advertisers for me what is the general au commision rate? And lots more questions..

Also hopefully the same person can assist in writing out the actual terms and conditions, and specifications, like
    http://sops.news.com.au/adspecs/NewsDigitalMedia_AdSpecifications.pdf
    http://sops.news.com.au/terms/NDM_Display_Terms_and_Conditions.pdf

I’ve trawled the internet and the flysolo directory but I don’t even know the occupation title of the sort of person I am looking for. Results for advertising consultants return people that want to help me advertise, but I am not looking for that at the moment, and the word publisher seems to only turn up results about books!

On that note if there are any books or online resources that might be of help to me I am interested in that too.

I am based in Perth, WA but national people are fine to work with for me.

Thanks in advance for any input, LJ

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up

Hi Lauren,

Have you considered the use of “ad networks” & google adwords etc? or are you specifically looking to go the route of selling & maintaining your own advertising?

If you wanted to hire someone to take care of this I believe you would be looking for something like a “Advertising Sales Manager”.

By the way, I replied to your other post as well regarding your website. I didn’t know you were located in Perth in that post however. I am in Perth as well & if you’re interested I would be very interested at providing you with a no-obligation proposal for the website.

Brett

lj
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

Hi Brett, thanks for your reply! Even the job title helps! No I’m not interested in Adwords etc, my member base is very particular and it’s seem as being bad enough having ads, so I really have to ensure I keep it relevant. Thanks again for the post!

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

Hi LJ,

Just playing devils advocate a bit, do you think you are making this more complex than it needs to be?

I have been in sales for 10years, and have sold to a range of different businesses and different levels, from marketing managers, ceo, cfo etc. from $500 to $500,000 – it always comes back to the same principle – Keep It Simple.

If you have the audience they want, all you have to do is explain this, explain what you are asking for in return and lay the terms and commitments out. The best sales guy I ever worked with only ever did formal quotes when it was in response to a tender. Otherwise, he would sit with his notepad, write the details on the notepad, tear it off and hand it over!

Now I am not saying to do that – he had a very special way about him, but basic information, which explains simply your demographic, volume of traffic, cost per month, cpc etc. and how long the commitment is.

Just my advice, but dont overcomplicate it :)

Netboost SEO
    • Total posts: 191
    Up

Care to post some stats up about traffic and a link to your site?

Unless you are getting well over a 100,000 unique views per month it is unlikely you will find individual advertisiers (though not impossible)

I would recommend you start with targeted affiliate ads (try commission junction, amazon affiliates, or ebay partner network) there is also adwords as an option. I would recommend using a combination and see which works best.

If you want try having a sidebar space with an ‘advertise here’ link that links to some quick bullet points about cost and your site traffic rates. I wouldn’t worry about exclusivity etc until you hit the big time or unless a client has a whinge. Don’t shoot yourself in the foot before you start.

I have a few websites I have monetized so if you need a hand let me know

RAds
    • Total posts: 126
    Up

When you go past 10M pageviews a month you can do pretty much anything. 1M you can get into some more exclusive networks. Less than 1M a month and you won’t get advertisers hunting you down unless you’re the only niche site out there – so just approach some advertisers and offer them 100k impressions for $X or something!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.