Home Forums Starting your journey Planning stages: What kind of planning and prep can I do in 3 months?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    FindingMyWings
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Hi all.

I just posted in the “intro” section about wanting to create a supplementary income stream selling homemade baked goods and confectionary (starting small scale/local).

I am having a baby in January and then will be on paid and unpaid mat leave for 6 months, and so from now until i have the baby i want to try and plan and prepare as much as i can, just researching and experimenting with recipes and working out what i can make within reasonable cost and make profit on.

I have zero experience starting/running a business, and equally zero in food/hospitality.

I am doing alot of reading on regulatory requirements and trying to get a sense of how i can prepare well before i try and launch next year, and would appreciate advice from others experienced in business and in particular anyone experienced in food businesses from home 🙂

I really hope to start low risk and just see what happens, and if things go really well then i may be able to afford to go back to my main job part time so i can do my business hours around my family’s needs

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,216
    Up

Having a very good sense of who your “ideal customer” is, what they are looking for and what they are prepared to spend and where they hang out, how they buy etc is a very good start.

It’s all about what they like, not what you like. But that said there are myriad things to keep in mind such as sourcing ingredients, storage, packaging, pricing etc.

Of course you will need an ABN and it will help to have a business name, a bank account and a tax fine number too.

You will find a ton of information online with a good place to look being blogs of people that have successfully done the same thing as you want to do.

Good luck.
    Paul

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.