Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Plastic bags in Canberra

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    baobei18
    • Total posts: 19
    Up
    ::

Hi all,
    Not really sure which forum this belongs in, but not sure who to ask about this one, and thought someone here might know…

We’ve got an upcoming trade show in Canberra, where we sell retail to the public. This is the second time we’ve done it – we did the same show last year at about this time. Since last year however, I think there’s been a “plastic bag ban” brought in, which (I think) will affect us, as we normally make hundreds of sales over the length of the show. Our products aren’t suitable for small (non handle) paper bags, and the value of the standard sale isn’t large (normally sub $10), so spending huge money on re-usable bags isn’t a great option either.

As we’re not local to Canberra, I don’t know much about the “plastic bag ban”, other than it was coming in, and I haven’t found much online. Does anyone know anymore, or where to look for more info? Is it applicable to us? I always email our customer base and suggest bringing reusable bags to the trade shows etc, and people are getting a lot better, but we will still have customers who need a bag.

NickHumphries
    • Total posts: 418
    Up

As a local Canberran, I don’t think it should be too much of an issue. Most local shops like an IGA, give you a plastic bag if you need it – and Woolworths will charge you 15c if you buy a plastic bag.. but that’s from a consumer point of view.. not sure about a trade show!

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up

Recycled plastic bags, how much do they cost compared to normal?

I think everyone should be looking to stop using plastic bags anyway, whether there’s a ban or not. So lead the way, and make it a selling/markting point.

bmd
    • Total posts: 39
    Up

maybe you could get some good reusable bags with your business on them and if people want a bag they pay extra – otherwise they can just pop the product in a bag they already have or a hand bag if it is a girl??

That way you dont worry about the ban, you get your business name out into the public more and you could make a little extra profit from the sale of the bags

Just a thought

Matt

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up

I like Matt’s idea, and just a 2 minute Google search turned up these guys where a tote bag costs around $1 a piece: http://www.ecobags.com.au/

I didn’t look through all their bags, likely to be cheaper ones too, an email to them would reveal that. And sure there’s other suppliers out there too.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

I think you should ask the tradeshow organisers if the ban is in place.

Steve

Blue Jet
    • Total posts: 189
    Up

I like Matts idea.

You can find more information here regarding plastic bags in the ACT

SalenaKnight
    • Total posts: 604
    Up

Why can’t you just use a small paper bag with handles? We get ours from here, and they are 18c each, easy to deal with and dispatch within 24 hours.

If you want to brand them, just have some stickers made up and put them on each bag and voila, you’re looking at around 30c for a branded bag.

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up

Or maybe an even better brand, get a rubber stamp made up and stamp them. Great look!

SalenaKnight
    • Total posts: 604
    Up
    Zava Design, post: 125169 wrote:
    Or maybe an even better brand, get a rubber stamp made up and stamp them. Great look!

We do that – can highly recommend these guys. I just thought as it was a trade show, the probably don’t want to be stamping a few thousand bags :)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.