Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Please help- working with ABN on a sponsorship visa

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kirke
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi all!

I am here in Australia with a sponsorship visa, which only allows me to work only for my sponsor (my current employer). But I am also really passionate about fitness and would like to offer group classes in a studio, where I need to have my ABN, but seems like on my visa condition it is not allowed to do any other work even when it is with ABN and only few hours a week :(
    Any ideas how i can legally work for my sponsor, but also have an opportunity to teach few classes a week with ABN?

Cheers!

K.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Hi and welcome [USER=116324]@Kirke[/USER]

Keeping your Visa in good order would the most important consideration for most people.

The Department itself or a Migration Agent should be your best starting point.

Good luck.

nbroadhurst
    Up

Whatever you do – DO NOT do anything that goes against the spirit of your sponsorship. That goes for your sponsor as well. Your sponsor is committed to guaranteeing you a big amount of money weekly to have you here. But I would also ask your sponsor if he could help you, but not violating your visa or any corporate or tax rules.

I am also a sponsor. Your sponsor can help, if he wants. But if you are considering starting up a business of your own, make sure you do it with the okay of the Immigration Department. And if you are not allowed to do that, do not do anything that goes against the spirit of your agreement to be here. Honestly, it is not worth the worry.

Paul Hense
    Up

Although the fitness route is one of your passions it may well lead to a visa cancellation. There is a condition on your visa which states (assuming you hold either a 457 or 482 visa), that you can only work for your employer and in the nominated occupation. If you’ve thinking of being a sole trader or incorporating, you’ll be breaching that condition.

As Paul says, you shouldn’t jeopardise your visa (and the Department of Home Affairs is very particular and pedantic..one hour a week will be enough to initiate action!

Paul Hense
    Paul Hense Migration Lawyers.

businesstrade
    Participant
    • Total posts: 215
    Up

I’d follow the rules of your visa. It may seem arbitrary which is true but it is also the reason why you’re here. The last thing you want to do is to get deported due your visa being revoked for running a side business. Is it worth risking your ability to stay in this country? You can always wait until you get PR. I have plenty of friends who waited patiently to make their move whilst on a sponsored work visa and now have successful businesses.

businesstrade.com.aubuy or sell a business
    Sue1987
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

just wondering how you get sponsor visa, is it easy and what requirements need to be met?

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up
    Sue1987, post: 268768, member: 117208 wrote:
    just wondering how you get sponsor visa, is it easy and what requirements need to be met?
    Here is a good place to start.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.