Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Please review my redesigned website.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Dimi
    • Total posts: 29
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

I have finally got close to releasing the new revamped website for my wedding accessories store. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. The current test build is on http://www.dev7.com.au

The site as specified below in my signature is http://www.affordableweddingaccessories.com.au. You may have a look to see what it is right now and what it will potentially be.

1. What needs reviewing? – Logo, Usability of the site – Please note, the shopping cart isnt still complete. So no functionality yet on that bit.
    2. What does your business do – It’s an online wedding accessories store. I am currently getting around 2-3 sales per month. I only had it for about a month as I recently purchased the online store.
    3. Who is your target market – Females aged between 18-29.
    4. What specific concerns do you have – I recently purchased this store as it was. I have records of upto 3 years showing around 5 sales per average month. My plan is to grow the conversions and spend some money on SEO and marketing.

As the above dev site isnt complete, I am mainly looking at what your thoughts are on theme/colors and also what you think I should improve on. An area of concern for me is the categories section on the left on the product pages. Given I have a lot of products, just wondering if there is a better way to display this.

Thanks very much for looking.

Dimi

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

I usually stay out of design reviews, but your new design is a massive improvement on the old one.

Weddings aren’t my thing, but I thought the theme looked professional and the navigation logical.

I did track the shopping cart you’re using, and it looks interesting (hadn’t heard of it before). The crew running it seem to know their stuff.

My only other comment is to be careful throwing money at SEO … personal experience tells me, you’ll get a much better bang for your buck engaging someone with a good track record in an Adwords campaign.

Hope it all goes well for you, I think you’re off to a good start.

Cheers

Dimi
    Up
    estim8, post: 187174 wrote:
    I usually stay out of design reviews, but your new design is a massive improvement on the old one.

Weddings aren’t my thing, but I thought the theme looked professional and the navigation logical.

I did track the shopping cart you’re using, and it looks interesting (hadn’t heard of it before). The crew running it seem to know their stuff.

My only other comment is to be careful throwing money at SEO … personal experience tells me, you’ll get a much better bang for your buck engaging someone with a good track record in an Adwords campaign.

Hope it all goes well for you, I think you’re off to a good start.

Cheers

Thanks very much estim8. Your advise on SEO – yes completely agree. It’s a very interesting topic and I have been keeping a very close eye on the other thread regarding someone who can take up a project and very interesting responses from some.

At the moment, my site ranks okay but at the end of the day what matters is the conversion rate. If someone searches for cheap wedding accessories, it ranks at 2 but my main goal is conversions and sales.

Thanks again for your feedback. Greatly appreciated!

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

I agree, it looks a lot better! I missed which shopping cart it is? I thought it was a bespoke application until I saw etim8’s comment.

Dimi, post: 187061 wrote:
    An area of concern for me is the categories section on the left on the product pages. Given I have a lot of products, just wondering if there is a better way to display this.

I’m not a designer but you could either use an accordion style menu :
    http://www.designchemical.com/lab/jquery-vertical-accordion-menu-plugin/examples/#

or preferably a context aware menu. So the left hand side would first list :
    -Weddings
    -Baby Showers
    -Bridal Showers
    -Birthday Parties

If I click on Birthday Parties, the birthday party page opens and the left menu is now
    -Weddings
    -Baby Showers
    -Bridal Showers
    -Birthday parties
    —Table Accessories
    —Candy Bar Accessories
    —Personalised Items
    —Decorations
    —Craft Supplies

and so on.

Better yet, a filter (price,colour, sub category etc) rather than simply duplicate the top menu.

J

Dimi
    Up
    JohnTranter, post: 187183 wrote:
    I agree, it looks a lot better! I missed which shopping cart it is? I thought it was a bespoke application until I saw etim8’s comment.

I’m not a designer but you could either use an accordion style menu :
    http://www.designchemical.com/lab/jquery-vertical-accordion-menu-plugin/examples/#

or preferably a context aware menu. So the left hand side would first list :
    -Weddings
    -Baby Showers
    -Bridal Showers
    -Birthday Parties

If I click on Birthday Parties, the birthday party page opens and the left menu is now
    -Weddings
    -Baby Showers
    -Bridal Showers
    -Birthday parties
    —Table Accessories
    —Candy Bar Accessories
    —Personalised Items
    —Decorations
    —Craft Supplies

and so on.

Better yet, a filter (price,colour, sub category etc) rather than simply duplicate the top menu.

J

Hi John,
    Great idea! and thanks for the positive feedback. I will check with my developer to see if he could squeeze this idea in. I think it will look a lot better.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

Here you go
    http://loadedcommerce.com
    Assuming “Builtwith” hasn’t led me up the garden path :)

Dimi
    Up

Okay – So after a few hiccups last week, we finally managed to go live with our website.

Already tracking traffic coming in from Google which is pretty good but looking at professionals here to tell me what I am doing wrong in terms of design/ content etc.

Open to receive negative comments which I think is quite important.

Again, thanks for all the responses before. Appreciate everyone’s help.

http://www.affordableweddingaccessories.com.au

Dimi

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi Dimi,

Not a professional designer at all, so purely on a visitor’s perspective (who almost squeezes into your target audience) – possibly just fresh eyes over something I am sure you have stared at for quite sometime! There are a few spelling mistakes, including in the first piece of information at the home page. I’ve noticed the following and hope this helps:

Home page:
    The very first piece of content under your first heading includes:

“We stock a wide variety of products of some which include wedding bombonieres and favors, baby shower favors, veils, acrilyc diamonds, favor boxes and many more.”

This, I assuming should read “…some of which” rather than “of some which” – and acrylic is misspelled.

Under the “We Deliver Australia Wide” heading, there’s a couple of spelling mistakes. “isnt” should be “isn’t” (with the apostrophe); Gurantee should be guarantee;

On the home page you have spelling of “Bomboniere” (which I think is correct?) but then in your menus and other pages you have Bombonniere.

Some parts of menus/pages have “favors” rather than “favours” in spelling.

On some pages when I click onto them via the top menu I then get a side category menu, but not on all pages.

“Easels and Bali Flags” – page shows ‘easles’ instead of easels.

I’ve not gone over all of the pages, but hope this is a starting point. If you have someone there perhaps have them read through all the pages. It can be close to impossible to pick up these minor mistakes when you’re the one looking at it constantly I think. But, given you are in a business to help someone have the most special day of their lives you’re going to have customers that are pedantic and you never know what can make a difference for them choosing you over someone else!

Contact Us page/information. – Missing the suburb of Victoria that your mailing address is in

General things to perhaps consider:

Your terms set out about if there’s not stuck of an item etc and what will happen and organising refunds if it’s an old product no longer stocked etc. I would imagine a site like yours has the ability to track inventory? So, a certain item could still be displayed at the site but you could see whether it’s in stock currently? As a customer I think I’d be a little annoyed if I paid for something only to find out later it wasn’t in stock – and, no longer available.

Re Returns Policy – make sure your policy complies with consumer laws (see accc.gov.au). re Privacy Policy – there were changes in March to what your privacy policy must include. I am not sure whether your current version is compliant with those changes?

And, finally – again from a customer’s view – you “guarantee” lowest prices, but I can’t seem to find information about that guarantee. What if I do find a lower price somewhere?

Overall – I like the colours, design and it’s definitely easy to navigate and find what I am looking for :)

All the best with it.

Dimi
    Up

Hi Jacqui,

Thanks very much for the detailed review. Appreciate all the feedback and I’ll work on them.

Cheers,
    Dimi

PineapplePear
    • Total posts: 83
    Up

Hi Dimi

Congrats on the launch, a few little things

Font: I think it would look more in line with your logo look and feel if it wasn’t bold. Can you use a lighter version?

Logo: the pink Wedding/Accessories is quite light and hard to see, (And i’m on a 24inch monitor) I think could be a fraction darker.

Buy now buttons: would make these either the dark pink of your text links or the same green as the social media buttons. This bright green doesn’t suit the rest of the overall theme

Wedding Stationery – this is a big one for me as I also run a stationery business – is spelt incorrectly – you have it with an ‘a – stationary’ it should be Stationery (with an e – for envelope :) )

Left hand store/category menu
    I don’t think the pink on the green background works, it’s a bit glares on the eyes.

I hope this helps, good luck in a competitive but fun industry!

Dimi
    Up

Thank You PineapplePear! for the feedback

Will be getting on it soon. I have been having some tech issues with the site and working tirelessly to get it working.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.