Home – New Forums Tell me straight… please Review my website. vacshop

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    vacshop.com.au
    • Total posts: 10
    Up
    ::

im interested in some opinion of others on my business website and how it maybe improved upon:

http://www.vacshop.com.au

does it take too long to load (graphics wise) and is it easy to get around??

thanks in advance.

Benedict
    • Total posts: 144
    Up

Hi Andrew

I find every page the images take too long to load. The pages tend to load unevenly.

Overall I have to say that your site needs to be brought up to date and de-cluttered for better usability and sales flow. Also make sure all text is text and not images (copy and paste is not good practise).

I see evidence that may be black-hat SEO (which Google hates). Along those lines the Ice Hockey links may also not be working to your best interests.

I am assuming that the errors come from a combination of the program you use to build your site and some lack of experience. Thankfully both can be fixed fairly easily with time and passion.

I will plug the article section of my site as a starting point http://www.brmwebconsulting.com/articles.htm

I am happy to help you out so just ask.

:)

ryanchadwick
    Up

I have to agree, I don’t think the design presents very professionally.

I would suggest getting a graphic designer to have a look over the site.

Heidi Price
    • Total posts: 218
    Up

ROFL – It’s Henry! My mum has one of them. Always gives me a good laugh.

AND I’m pretty sure she got from you!!!

Honestly, there are improvements that could/should be made. There really is just too much being thrown at your visitors, especially in the middle of the page.

Not sure about the relevance of linking to Senior Beer League Ice Hockey? I’m sure there IS a reason, but will your customers know it?

The site hangs a while on load due to the google analytics – but that is typical of google.

When google twigs to the keyword padding behind the header she will punish you ranking-wise – and has the right to de-list you.

Padding is an art: when done carefully and wisely it sorta can work. No guarantees.

How do I know you are doing this? I test at dial-up (56kbps) speeds – which is a very common speed around the Newcastle area. Many people in your target market are going to see what is meant to be hidden behind the header.

Also the navigation seems to have a link (Filter Queen) that shows during loading but disappears.

The biggest problem though is the lack of text – 99% image based = slow loading and poor for seo and text readers (and guess what google bots are!). And frankly visitors are going to be looking for content such as how to choose the right vacuum.

As a webbie my recommendation would be to see a website as an important marketing tool – If your site was a TV advertisement, what is the impression you would like to give?

Anyhoo I’m going to stop there – I’ve probably already induced a headache for you ;-)

If you are looking for assistance with the site, and want someone local, we are ten minutes away!

Heidi

peppie
    • Total posts: 525
    Up

Have to agree with all the above, I am on cable and it does load fairly quickly, but, it all pops onto the screen in a very random way which kinda hurts my eyes.

I am not really a web or graphic designer, just an apprentice, but in my area of expertise (more film and video etc.) you have to learn to try to pick where the attention getter is. Practice checking what your eyes are doing, where do you tend to look, do they rest in one place and then maybe move slowly to something connected? Or do they dart all over the page/screen because there is is simply nowhere for the eyes to rest upon, the focal/interest point.

There is a lot of sense in saying that less is better, I am trying to get a major revision of my site up and running and along the way I have had to decide what is my focal point/s and what I really don’t need up front.

vacshop.com.au
    Up

thank you for all the input.

im only a very small one man show on a VERY tight budget so i will take in consideration all the comments.

i need a site that i can change myself and the software program that i use is called “webeasy” which is a bit limiting and beginerish in a point and click kind of way but im looking to do a site rebuild in the coming months in a different style.

the ice hockey link is to help out the local club im connected with.

yellowpagesSHOP
    Up

I think as far as information goes, its fine. A person can find out what you are all about. So given that you are not in the IT business I guess you have given your clients the information they need.
    With regards to the rest, the way you present seem to change from page to page. For example on the New vacuum page you use * for bullet points on another page something else.. So maybe that could be made consistent

Hay I must say I learnt a lot about vacum cleaners thanks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.