Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Please review site + get FREE SEO Report

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Start Smart
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

We have created a small tool that you can use to generate an SEO Report for your websites.

Access it at – http://seotools.echodigital.com.au

The report gives you a list of specific, actionable problems that your website has so you can resolve. Running the report again after fixing them should show you have resolved the problems.

I would like your feedback as this tool is brand new. It is intended to help website owners and seo professionals find and fix potential seo problems on their websites quickly and easily.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Echo,

Welcome to Flying Solo!

As you may have noticed, we’ve moved your post into the Community Reviews section of the boards as this is the place you’ll likely get the best feedback on your site and new tool.

It would help potential reviewers to give you the best feedback they can if you could please provide us with the answers to these queries:

1. What needs reviewing? (i.e. logo, website, idea etc…)
    2. What does your business do?
    3. Who is your target market?
    4. What specific concerns do you have?

Also, since we always like to know a little about the person behind the business, please feel free to visit the http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/new-member-introduce-yourself/ section of the boards and share a little of your story with us.

Looking forward to getting to know you here on the forum,
    Jayne

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up

A couple small bits of inital feedback…

1) Once i click the button, nothing happens for quite a while, but with not much on the screen to indicate that “something is happening in the background”. Some sort of animation of bars moving or something more creative would help here.

2) Your tool doesn’t ask me what keyword(s) i’m trying to optimise for. Almost the whole point of SEO is to optimise a site for specific keywords. Leaving this out means you can only give general tips, not specific useful stuff.

3) Your tool’s first point for the site I tried was “your site uses invalid markup”. Given that this isn’t really a major SEO factor (as we have debated on this forum a number of times), I don’t see the point of this.

4) Your tool parses quite a list of pages on the site I tested with, and I get a whole massive long page of “missing alt tag” warnings. When I look closer, being a database/template/whatever you want to call it driven site, it’s really just the same four images with missing alt tags repeated over and over and over again right down the page (as they obviously appear on every page). Leaving aside the arguement as to if EVERY image needs an alt tag, this just makes things look worse than they are.

5) I accidentally put two dots in a domain name I tried, the system gave a server error page. Obviously the two dots was my mistake, but it needs better error checking to “fall over gracefully” or prompt me to correct it, rather than giving a server error.

6) If I try to click your “email sales at ecodigital.com.au” link it goes to a 404 page as you haven’t correctly formed or tested the mailto: hyperlink.

Overall I think this is NOT an SEO report, it’s basically a W3C validation / W3C best practices report of types. It focuses on some things that are irrelevent, and some things that are important but not really the MOST important for SEO. It doesn’t even take into consideration the keywords you are optimising for which to me is it’s biggest flaw but something that would be very difficult to fix.

What it does do is make things seem scary/worse than they are. I personally think it’s mainly designed as a “wow things are really bad and too complicated to fix myself, I should ask these guys for help tool”. Which it may work well at generating business for you. I can’t see any SEO professionals using it personally, maybe others will disagree and see something of value in it.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, just trying to give an honest review.
    Matt

seocourse
    • Total posts: 918
    Up

mmm like

http://www.myseotools.com.au

mmm oh, wait, that’s mine… ^_^

seocourse
    Up
    echodigital, post: 49126 wrote:
    Hi All,

We have created a small tool that you can use to generate an SEO Report for your websites.

Access it at – http://seotools.echodigital.com.au

The report gives you a list of specific, actionable problems that your website has so you can resolve. Running the report again after fixing them should show you have resolved the problems.

I would like your feedback as this tool is brand new. It is intended to help website owners and seo professionals find and fix potential seo problems on their websites quickly and easily.

Mmm I just tried the SEO report tool with your own site

http://seotools.echodigital.com.au/seo-report.aspx?startUrl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.echodigital.com.au

Mmmmmm not good. May be you need to hire Matt to help you with your SEO ;) Or contact an SEO company ?

Start URL: http://www.echodigital.com.au/
    Start Time: 9/6/2010 12:18:11 AM
    End Time: 9/6/2010 12:18:15 AM
    URLs: 58
    Links: 594
    Violations: 74

*_*

marketingweb
    Up

Lol Gab, can’t believe I didn’t think to check their site on their tool myself.

On second thoughts though, looking at the report based on their own website, maybe there is value in this tool.

For example, on their own site there are multiple instances of this:
    “The page specifies more than one canonical URL.” which is bad in my experience.

When I checked several sites I work on I was only getting stupid errors like the missing alt tags I mentioned. Checking their website with their own tool, as you have done Gab, it has actually highlighted some really basic mistakes that could do with fixing!

Echo digital, if you are actually reading this rather than being a “one post wonder”, might be worth fixing this stuff on your own site! Or, you you need help, I’m sure Gabriel could help you as he loves working on getting sites W3C valid, don’t you Gab!

Matt

Start Smart
    Up

Thanks for the honest feedback, I asked for it so I appreciate you spending the time to give it.

I put the tool together quickly and I just thought I’d throw it out there and see if others saw some value in it and if it was something I should spend some more time on.

If anyone else has some more *constructive* criticism or feedback please keep it coming :)

marketingweb
    Up

Hi Echo,

Sorry if you didn’t think my posts were constructive (i suspect you were aiming that comment at me?). Since you’re back and involved in the conversation now (rather than just dropping a link), i’ll play nicer!

If you get past the “barbs”, some of the stuff I suggested such as fixing your mailto link is absolutely vital if you want people to contact you, and i’m surprised you didn’t fix it immediately I posted it as this isn’t even SEO related, just fundamental web design.

And Gab’s suggestion of making sure your own site passes first before putting out a tool is a good one. If you don’t see that as being important for SEO when you are in the SEO game yourself, then maybe this might be a hint that some of the things it’s picking up aren’t really that important.

Best of luck in your venture and with your new tool.

Matt

Start Smart
    Up

No Matt I thought your first post was extremely constructive and really appreciated it.

After that the main theme was that I should run it on my own site and fix them. Fair point, silly me, should have seen that one coming but that’s easy to fix.

Then it become more trolling than contructive. I just wanted to try and keep it from being a massive flame fest!!

seocourse
    Up

Hi Echo… don’t worry Matt tends to break hearts here.

I remember when I first joined flyingsolo… Matt was cold and horrible… I still have nightmares.

^_^

Welcome to the forum ;)

marketingweb
    Up
    seocourse, post: 49203 wrote:
    Hi Echo… don’t worry Matt tends to break hearts here.

I remember when I first joined flyingsolo… Matt was cold and horrible… I still have nightmares.
    ^_^
    Welcome to the forum ;)

You have been here a month longer than me Gab, what are you talking about!

Echo (or Wendy is it maybe?), you probably have a fair point, we were getting a little silly. I didn’t mean to make you feel unwelcome. The conversation here can get a little blunt (particularly in the reviews section), but it’s generally pretty inclusive of everyone so hopefully we haven’t turned you off flying solo.

I went onto your main website (which I actually quite like by the way), and clicked to join your newsletter. Got through a basic confirmation, and noticed the address was at http://www.echocommuncations.com.au which i presume is your parent business to the digital venture.

Hope you don’t mind me mentioning this as it wasn’t the original topic (and I mean no disrespect) but your other site at needs some really basic SEO work on it also. For example, your title tag is “Wix.com – Website by wendymb based on Service Agency 2“.

I have nothing against Wix.com, it’s a reasonable tool as far as free website builders go if you don’t mind the fact that flash based websites are really hard to get ranked. However if you are a company that advertises website design, SEO and marketing as some of your services it’s probably best not to advertise that you are using a free website builder for your parent site. Being in SEO i’m sure it’s just an oversight and you know how to write good title tags (as you have on your digital site), but for others there are some tips on a recent blog post I wrote: SEO Basics – The Title & Meta Description Tags

Again welcome to the forums. When I get my new main site up i’m sure you will be able to give me lots of tips on to pay me back, as it’s always easier look from the outside!

Matt

Melinda B
    • Total posts: 349
    Up
    echodigital, post: 49202 wrote:
    No Matt I thought your first post was extremely constructive and really appreciated it.

After that the main theme was that I should run it on my own site and fix them. Fair point, silly me, should have seen that one coming but that’s easy to fix.

Then it become more trolling than contructive. I just wanted to try and keep it from being a massive flame fest!!
    A lot of spammers come on here (as it’s a free forum), post a ‘Please help me by reviewing this widget’ post in order to drive traffic, and then are never seen again. That’s one of the reasons that Jayne suggested posting an intro – it means we can check out if you’re for real or not before reporting your post as possible spam.

I’ve been following this thread, I know very little about SEO, and I’m really glad you’ve come back.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.