Home – New Forums Tell me straight… please review site images copy wording etc

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    topdog
    • Total posts: 64
    Up
    ::

hi guys

I did one of these a while back (site review) prob over a year or so now and have slooooooowwwlly had things fixed cleaned and revamped. eg new copy, images slider, fb and twiter tabs, get a quote box and spam filter added and ALOT of behind the scene stuff fixed up.

so with no more adieu if you could kindly review my site http://www.completemaintenancerepairs.com.au

I appreciate your honest opinions on the site, so don’t worry im not “that guy/girl” that’s going to bite back and say how dare you ;) I need to be able to see other peoples perspectives on how my site is perceived by the general public- my clients.

cheers !

Jason G
    • Total posts: 32
    Up

Hi Topdog,

Your site is looking really good!
    The layout & text is clean & concise, and it’s easy to navigate through the site.
    The image slider is also a great touch, as are the before and after images of past renovations. I’m sure your potential customers will really appreciate the “request a quote” form.

The one thing i noticed is on the slider, where it says “Sydney best value for money”.
    Perhaps that could be changed to “Best value for money in Sydney”. However, either way it’s probably negligible.

All in all, your site looks very professional and it gets the point across well.

topdog
    Up

thx Jason always good to have a positive 1st review ;) its been quite the work in progress but slowly im coming to the end of the site side of things and can soon just focus on SEO /adwords .

funny you say that about the Sydney line on slider I picked it as well but after asking wife and some staff they said its fine, but if you picked it how ever small it maybe its obviously a flaw. its getting changed !

cheers

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hi TopDog

Ok, i am certainly not a designer and am looking at the site as a visitor… that being said, i remember looking at your site a little while ago on the other review request and thing the colours + logo etc are either same or still similar.. and having troubles recalling what you wanted to rectify :) not picking, just apologising in advance if i replied similarly last time :D

Overall i like the look of the site, didnt venture too far in but on the surface looks nice.. There were a few things ti pick up on that i am not sure you may have noticed, and hopefully its ‘handy’:
    a. Same as first replier “Sydney Best Value for Money” could even simply be “Sydney’s best value for money”

b. Unbeatable rates: i am unsure how to take that comment and would potentially challenge ANY quote you provided to ensure you were the BEST RATES AVAILABLE. To me its a bit like throwing a challenge out there that may be very difficult to win on.. Interested in your thoughts and others on this statement?

c. Request a free quote: LOVE IT… maybe flip it a little to take out the ambiguity and say “request a call back TODAY to discuss a quote” or “Request a call to discuss your quote, we’ll call you today :)” – this way the customer KNOWS you will call same day instead of moving on to the next competitor on the list if you dont call within x days.

d. Footer… may be an error but the very middle of the footer on the very bottom it says “?2014 Complete Maintenace & Property Repairs” when i think should be “©2014 Complete Maintenace & Property Repairs “.. OK THIS IS AN ISSUE – although not sure why.. please note i am viewing on an apple Mac and when i first look at the line it has a ? then i refresh and shows a © – so not sure why this alters..

e. This is a very general comment, and i apologise, although there is not what i would deem friendliness to the web site that i would expect from a handyman. This also carries across to your posts on FS a little as well with the fact that you do not sign off with your name, just cheers.. And all the while your actual post is extremely friendly, polite and appreciative which i could almost see would also carry over to your business… so let people know WHO YOU ARE.. How could you do this?
    – on your contact page have “Ask for Glenn” or “Call Glenn on 0411 xxx xxx”. Or “if Glenn is unavailable feel free to leave a message on 0411 xxx xxx”.
    – Could even add the name on the quote request section “to request a quote today eave Glenn your details below”
    – in your header (very top of page) instead of just saying “Call Now 0411 xxx xxx” you might guess this one, “Call Glenn Now 0411 xxx xxx”
    ____

Making some additional comments re the name on the site, i can appreciate it could be a fine line as some businesses do not like being seen as a solo operator and feel omitting the name can give a perception of ‘maybe there can be a few people in the business’ and so forth. But when you have a mobile number as contact, most people expect to know the name of whom they are calling… also, it sounds friendlier – well to me it does..

Additionally.. having a name on the site can sometimes make it (you) feel more approachable “hey Glenn, was just on your web site and notice you do xxxxx” as opposed to “Sorry, who am i speaking with? oh ok, you work for xxxxx” Puts conversation on a positive footing from the outset.. i could be corrected on this, although i find it more rewarding…

Also…. if you are concerned about looking smaller or even have a large team behind you another way to approach it could be to have another page on the web site showing the team behind the business. You, your staff and so forth and this way you could still have your name under the mobile number but people can see you are a bigger business.

If i have missed anything, let me know as my reply was interrupted on several occasions with phones and family 😡

Hope they are helpful.

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Lindz
    • Total posts: 254
    Up

Hello TopDog/Glen,

Welcome back. Glad to see you’re sticking with it. Here’s my two cents worth:

One way or another we all offer “Great Customer Service” and “Quality Workmanship” and many offer “Unbeatable Rates”. The question you need to answer is “What else have you got that might set you apart from the rest?”

Fortunately the answer is already there on your website in your “Testimonials” section.:D
    Sift through your testimonials till you find a theme. What are they saying about you? It’s that theme that you should be headlining.

Put a couple of those testimonials nearby on your home page to validate your theme, drop any reference to “Unbeatable rates” and focus more on your value. According to your testimonials you are amazingly reliable, a good communicator and a “Great Guy”. Don’t sell yourself short.:)

All the best,

Lindsay

topdog
    Up

gday lindz me ol’ mate ;) hope you are well ;)

ive been lurking around and follow FS on facebook etc just been focused on getting site ready or as close to and used my own head (1st time for everthinghahaha)

things are CRAZY here atm business is on the up, wife pregnant ,and a whole host of other things home renos etc etc so what little time I have I have to use wisely, like beer and cigars ;)

appreciate the words and take all on board ;)

topdog
    Up

thx for your detailed post Jason again ill take all points on board

obviously I cant do or replace every part people bring to my attention otherwise the site would look very much the bits n pieces site I don’t intend it to be or morph into something that is not mine

at the end of the day I cant please everyone (not singling you out here by everyone Im referring to the Sydney public)

I would simply like the site to look and feel good, be user friendly and comprehensible and be able to get the point across as to what I do and offer

thank you for your time in reviewing my site

glenn

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    topdog, post: 188516 wrote:
    thx for your detailed post Jason again ill take all points on board

obviously I cant do or replace every part people bring to my attention otherwise the site would look very much the bits n pieces site I don’t intend it to be or morph into something that is not mine

at the end of the day I cant please everyone (not singling you out here by everyone Im referring to the Sydney public)

I would simply like the site to look and feel good, be user friendly and comprehensible and be able to get the point across as to what I do and offer

thank you for your time in reviewing my site

glenn

Hi Glenn

No stress mate, if that is all you want “I would simply like the site to look and feel good, be user friendly and comprehensible and be able to get the point across as to what I do and offer” i think you have that already.. i must have misread what you wanted reviewing.. apologies…

Although a few have mentioned the friendliness which is apparent by your testimonials and this could BE AN AWESOME selling point to actually inspire people to call you.. Which i think is what you may be wanting?

Its a nice site mate..

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    topdog
    Up

Thx Jason hope I didn’t come across as short as I mentioned in another post time is scarce and was trying to keep it short n sweet :)

Cheers mate ;)

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    topdog, post: 188441 wrote:
    hi guys

I did one of these a while back (site review) prob over a year or so now and have slooooooowwwlly had things fixed cleaned and revamped. eg new copy, images slider, fb and twiter tabs, get a quote box and spam filter added and ALOT of behind the scene stuff fixed up.

so with no more adieu if you could kindly review my site http://www.completemaintenancerepairs.com.au

I appreciate your honest opinions on the site, so don’t worry im not “that guy/girl” that’s going to bite back and say how dare you ;) I need to be able to see other peoples perspectives on how my site is perceived by the general public- my clients.

cheers !

Hello TopDog

It is almost there — but as a web conversion nitpicker, I need to point out a few things.

Sliders do not increase conversions (see my latest blog post on that).

What do you do that makes me want to call you? Guess what — everyone promises ‘quality’, ‘best value’ etc. Unfortunately these are cliched terms.

Consider:

1. your absolute best customer
    2. what they would say about you
    3. put their words there

Tell us WHY you are different.

And it is almost never price-based, regardless of what you may think.

We buy on emotion,and justify by logic. Nobody wants to deal with a builder that is ‘cheap’, I promise you!

For example — you might lead with ‘we include steam cleaning all carpets after we finish’ or something like that.

I’ve had so many tradies leave horrid messes, if one turns up with his own broom I’m happy.

YOu don’t have to think big — just think about your customer and what they care about.

Jenny

topdog
    Up

Thanks jenny many a valid point made

Cheers

topdog
    Up

hey guys back again after another hiatus hahaha

ive decided to change the bullet points on the slider after lindz and jennys very valid opinions (as were the others too) :

from > best value for money in Sydney, to > great communication
    > great customer service > quality workmanship
    > quality workmanship > professional
    > unbeatable rates > reliable

keeping with staying away from the whole money them rates vaklue etc as jenny pointed out and also with lindz point staying with the theme of my testimonials .

just thought id check in and let you now : )

now let me know what you think !!!

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    topdog, post: 191774 wrote:
    hey guys back again after another hiatus hahaha

ive decided to change the bullet points on the slider after lindz and jennys very valid opinions (as were the others too) :

from > best value for money in Sydney, to > great communication
    > great customer service > quality workmanship
    > quality workmanship > professional
    > unbeatable rates > reliable

keeping with staying away from the whole money them rates vaklue etc as jenny pointed out and also with lindz point staying with the theme of my testimonials .

just thought id check in and let you now : )

now let me know what you think !!!

You are getting the picture, but I’m going to say that all of these things are what we EXPECT from the businesses we shop with.

What I’d like to see is: What do you do, who do you do it for, and why do I care?

Just answer that question using 1 sentence or 2, and put that on your home page. And dump the slider — they reduce conversions.

Good luck!
    Jenny

BlackCoffeeComms
    • Total posts: 472
    Up

Late to the party – but just wanted to add something that I think is important…

When I get to a website, I go to the about us page to find out more about the person/people behind the business.

If I was going to organise someone to come into MY house and work on a project around ME or MY CHILDREN, I would not even bother to contact you.

Why? You tell me nothing about your self or your team expect you are “professional, quality blah blah blah,” which I can get anywhere.

Show some personality, prove to me – as a woman who works at home alone and who has young children around – that I can trust you. Tell me something on your “about” page that actually tells me about you – not just about your licence, or your experience.

Who are you? What is important to you? Why do you love your job? What are your values?

In fact, you can probably use “janene’s” testimonial on your home, or about page :) I shouldn’t have to search for it!

(Sorry if this comes across as too blunt, but your job is about going into people’s homes!)

Cheers

NIcole

topdog
    Up

Thx Nicole . u can be as blunt as u like it neither bothers me nor offends me and I did ask for reviews so your entitled to your opinion. I’ve purposefully left kids off my site as it’s a dangerous playground pardon the pun when you start mentioning kids . people become very emotional very quickly when mentioning kids so I just avoid it. I hear u say yes that’s my point get them emotional etc but in this situation I don’t and avoid it , Plus not all kids are at home some are with the other partner , school at all age levels , holidays , some are sick in hospital some are in the park being kids just To many variables . Plus it’s a weigh up of how much dislogue I put into my pages as word counts contribute to SEO etc and sometimes less is more . As you’d know it’s all a big juggle and I can’t please everyone , if I did if be a buzzzillioniare by now coz I’d have all the work hahahaha !!! Nonetheless thx for your time and enjoy your w/end

Cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.