Home – New Forums Get productive Pomodoro and a Swiss Ball

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Leonie_C
    • Total posts: 15
    Up
    ::

Pomodoro and a Swiss Ball…sounds like something you order at a patisserie!

I’ve been reading about the Pomodoro technique (thanks Leah from the Golden Goose) and at first I didn’t pay too much attention as I already use some good time management and prioritisation techniques.

It did lodge like a little seed in my brain however, and I am revisiting the idea – why? Simply because my habit of prioritising then putting my head down and working non stop are causing me problems. Years of working at a desk and this habit of being over-focussed (is there such a thing?) have given me some back problems.

So..I am revisiting the Pomodoro idea as a means of training myself to stop and take some regular stretching breaks. I’m also about to do a trial run using a swiss ball at my desk for a while.

Two questions here: is anyone using Pomodoro apps on an ipad? Got any recommendations on which ones are better?

Also, anyone else using a Swiss ball at their desk? What to you think?

Finally – has anyone out there managed to get their back ‘back’ into shape again? What’s the secret?

Leonie

Uncomplicating
    • Total posts: 731
    Up
    Leonie_C, post: 121945 wrote:
    Pomodoro and a Swiss Ball…sounds like something you order at a patisserie!

I’ve been reading about the Pomodoro technique (thanks Leah from the Golden Goose) and at first I didn’t pay too much attention as I already use some good time management and prioritisation techniques.

It did lodge like a little seed in my brain however, and I am revisiting the idea – why? Simply because my habit of prioritising then putting my head down and working non stop are causing me problems. Years of working at a desk and this habit of being over-focussed (is there such a thing?) have given me some back problems.

So..I am revisiting the Pomodoro idea as a means of training myself to stop and take some regular stretching breaks. I’m also about to do a trial run using a swiss ball at my desk for a while.

Two questions here: is anyone using Pomodoro apps on an ipad? Got any recommendations on which ones are better?

Also, anyone else using a Swiss ball at their desk? What to you think?

Finally – has anyone out there managed to get their back ‘back’ into shape again? What’s the secret?

Leonie

According to my physio, Swiss balls are great if you already have GOOD posture while at your desk. If you sit poorly, all they tend to do is exacerbate that.

As for “fixing” your back, regular exercises that encourage stretching and rotation, strengthen pelvic floor and keep a good neutral spine.

Of course, knowing how to is one thing, actually achieving is entirely different. I’m off to the physio again today to remove the big knotty lumps from my shoulders and get my neck moving.

Leonie_C
    Up

Thanks Stewart – yes more exercise that’s what I’m hoping Pomodoro breaks will help me with, a routine that makes it a regular part of my day!

Good luck at the physio!

Uncomplicating
    • Total posts: 731
    Up
    Leonie_C, post: 122000 wrote:
    Thanks Stewart – yes more exercise that’s what I’m hoping Pomodoro breaks will help me with, a routine that makes it a regular part of my day!

Good luck at the physio!

Thanks.

I’m not sure about Pomodoro. Breaks are good for sure, but only when appropriate. It seems most unnatural to me to enforce them at specific intervals.

If a buzzer rang when I was head down thinking my way through a complex issue I’d throw the thing at the wall

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

It’s no secret that I love a good Pom ;)

Glad you’re enjoying them Leonie! Anything to help with productivity.

Is a swiss ball one of those gigantic exercise balls? I love sitting on those and should probably invest one to help me get those abs I never work towards! :)

Sonja Meyer
    • Total posts: 50
    Up

It takes me 25 minutes to get into the zone in the first place, so I think the Pomodoro technique would drive me insane.

As for back issues… I’ve got them aplenty. The kind that keeps you awake at night with a radiating ache that begins somewhere under your neck and ends somewhere deep in the middle of your back. Lucky for me, my partner is a physio. She’s given me exercises and stretches to do, which I usually spend about 30 minutes on in the afternoons to break up the hours after lunch.

I think everyone who works at a desk all day should at least attend pilates classes or do some exercises at home to maintain the strength in their back in the correct places in order to encourage a naturally good posture. But yes, you have to be disciplined and make sure you’re doing them regularly and properly… which is why a class might be the better option. :)

Sonja

Leonie_C
    Up

Thanks everyone

Enforced breaks are the way for me for a while – annoying buzzer or not. I need to break the habit of not taking enough breaks and get serious about fixing the problem in my back. In the end I believe my health has to come first. I know someone older than me who suffers terribly from back pain. I had a real epiphany and thought could this be me in 20 years?

I have some mini-yoga routines I am going to implement, and yes Sonja Pilates would be good to build up core strength.

Leah, do you use an app for your Pomodoro or paper and a timer? There are two apps for Ipad and I wondered if anyone had tried them?

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up
    Leonie_C, post: 122134 wrote:
    Leah, do you use an app for your Pomodoro or paper and a timer? There are two apps for Ipad and I wondered if anyone had tried them?

Hi Leonie, Im on Mac so bought the Pomodoro app from the app store. It is a pic of a little tomato that looks like a timer too. Cute! Im in love :)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.