Home – New Forums Tech talk Poor conduct from and Adwords company

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Evo the marketing guy
    • Total posts: 58
    Up
    ::

I got cold called by a Queensland Adwords firm. Nothing wrong with that.

But this was their pitch message word for word, that they left with my assistant.

“Can you please call Melissa from regarding your Google ad. It has been flagged as having poor relevance rating. Her details are xx.”

Masquerading as Google – as loose as it was – is not something I’d be going near….. Illegal, probably not. Deceptive and misleading conduct. Fine line. Immoral and unethical? I think so.

So next time you are struggling for work – or leads – put you best foot forward and tell me what you can do for me or how you can help improve my campaigns.

The eels at the bottom of the barrel using techniques like this, should, in my book, remain there.

P.S: I have also forwarded all correspondence on this to Google Australia.

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

This happens all the time. I think lying about representing Google would have to be fraudulent and illegal wouldn’t it? In any case it’s going on and has been for a long time. I had a call from a guy from a company ‘representing Google’ and guaranteeing my placement on the front page. I asked him straight out whether he was talking about Adwords and he said no. I played along long enough to figure out that it was Adwords he was referring to and his company had nothing to do with Google.. You can have a bit of fun with these guys if you have a bit of time.

NickMorris
    Participant
    • Total posts: 283
    Up

There’s a fine line between that kind of “marketing” and straight up illegal stuff.

I remember a client got a website review with an email that said something like ‘here’s the website review you ordered.’ When I looked into it it was obvious that there wasn’t any website review ordered, they just sent that to everyone. Perhaps not that bad but still dodgy.

Some friends of mine have a cafe and they have the fire extinguishers checked every 6 months or so. The company they’ve got doing it just comes in when they are due to be checked and that’s all fine. So, the last time they were checked it turned it to be some other dodgy company who just came in and did the checks, pretending they were the first company, and sent an invoice.

Anyone get those calls from people claiming to be from Windows so they can get remote access to your computer and steal all your info? Ok, that’s obviously illegal, but perhaps not so dissimilar.

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

All of those are highly dodgy. If you are lying to people it’s black and white.

NickMorris, post: 126826 wrote:
    There’s a fine line between that kind of “marketing” and straight up illegal stuff.

I remember a client got a website review with an email that said something like ‘here’s the website review you ordered.’ When I looked into it it was obvious that there wasn’t any website review ordered, they just sent that to everyone. Perhaps not that bad but still dodgy.

Some friends of mine have a cafe and they have the fire extinguishers checked every 6 months or so. The company they’ve got doing it just comes in when they are due to be checked and that’s all fine. So, the last time they were checked it turned it to be some other dodgy company who just came in and did the checks, pretending they were the first company, and sent an invoice.

Anyone get those calls from people claiming to be from Windows so they can get remote access to your computer and steal all your info? Ok, that’s obviously illegal, but perhaps not so dissimilar.

Mrs Fox
    • Total posts: 81
    Up

Things can get worse when they send emails. Phishing experts can even mask the sender address displayed to recipients and imitate valid corporate email addresses of reputable firms like Visa and Yahoo.

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up
    T

I got one of those from a girl with an Indian accent. I let her rabbit on for a bit then I said;

“I know exactly what you are trying to do, you are an evil person working for an evil organisation and you should be ashamed of yourself trying to scam innocent people”

She didn’t skip a beat and just carried on with her script, I was gob smacked.

Shane Walker
    • Total posts: 129
    Up

Hi Evo! It’s Shane Walker here.

I totally sympathize with you. As an SEO professional, I quite often get emails from SEO companies usually from India telling me that the reason why my site is not performing well is because I have zero backlinks and that is not set up properly to be ranked in Google.

There is really not a lot you can do about it unfortunately because these companies are overseas and really don’t care. They are just going to keep contacting us no matter what Google tells them to do anyway.

My sympathies,

SACKO
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

Yes we have clients call us every week explaining they just had a call from Microsoft or Windows. Most seem to know that it is a scam of some sort but they still do seem to get a few that don’t realise till it is too late.

Snakeman
    Participant
    • Total posts: 329
    Up

There is a simple reason why these scammers continue to do business in Australia and it’s because the government lets them.
    We’ve had numerous cases of bootleggers masquerading as us (Snakebusters / Snake Man) to get snake show and reptile display business and they succeed often enough to make their scams worthwhile.
    Invariably we find out when the clients call us to complain.
    We have complained to the ACCC and the rest and they refuse to act, saying they are not interested as “not enough people are affected” even though they admit criminal offences have been committed.
    We can’t take civil action against the offenders as their assets are quarantined, as in the name of their wife or whatever.
    And so it goes on!
    All the best
    Snakeman

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up

Anyone got one of those letters from some dodgy US domain seller, about you’re soon to be expiring domain name which you “must renew” with them as soon as possible or risk losing the domain?

Dodgy brothers!

Gordan
    • Total posts: 119
    Up

We get these calls almost on a daily basis. “Your SEO campaign needs to be upgraded”….”Your computer is at risk” blah blah…after a while you learn to just pick up the phone, have a lovely chat to the person on the other line, find out about the weather in India and then hang up.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.