Home Forums New here? Share your story Poor management of termination

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tessagrosvenor
    • Total posts: 1

hello
    I am a small business owner with no experience in the field (I own a gym) and we have employed fitness professionals to run group fitness classes. We recently let go a couple of trainers (they are boyfriend and girlfriend) and they reacted aggressively afterwards calling us disrespectful, unprofessional and gutless. We were worried about their response so we advised of our decision over the phone.

Is there anything I can do to repair the damage? I feel that because we did not meet with them face to face they now see us as cowards etc.

Should I leave sleeping dogs lie or try and repair the damage?

Thank you.

Paul – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 3,121

Hi And Welcome to Flying Solo [USER=113347]@Tessagrosvenor[/USER] . It is great to have you!

Thank you for joining our community and posting.

I recommend that you really think about your goals here – when you think about what you want to achieve, the answer or possible answers become a lot clearer.

Cheers

RunicConvenience
    • Total posts: 186

did you look online for how and what needs to be done for terminating of an employee.if so did you follow your required minimum.

if yes then you are fine to do as you will. normally on day termination is used for employees who are not performing or working out well.

at the end of the day “you don’t need to be friends with your ex employees” nor your current ones it is a business relationship not a personal one.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,472

You didnt actually say why you terminated them?

But based on the information you have provided their comments about you are justified, if you couldn’t have the courtesy to tell them face to face.

I agree that you don’t need to be friends with ex employee’s, BUT, it’s better to have people saying good things about your business, then bad things. Like they say upset one person and 10 people hear about it. Make ten people happy and 1 person hears about it.

Johny
    • Total posts: 840

Only talking about what you have said, not whether the t’s crossed and i’s dotted.

I reckon sacking someone over the phone is poor form.

Damage done, learn and move on.

Corey
    • Total posts: 568

Do you have a peak industry body? is there an award?

Research, brainstorm & create a hiring/firing policy

Cheers
    Corey

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.