Home – New Forums Other discussions Poor service

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    spinninghill
    • Total posts: 345
    Up
    ::

I walked into a hairdressers at a busy shopping centre tonight, hoping to get a haircut. They told me the price, which was about $5 more than I would normally pay. They then offered me a “Hair wash” for $6 extra, and a hair dry for another $6. I declined the 2 offers. They are taking my name, phone number, etc and entering it into their system, then ask me if I have washed my hair in the last 24hrs. As I wasn’t planning a haircut, I told them I last washed my hair Tuesday night, which was true…I usally wash it 2 or 3 times a week (Rightly or wrongly…) I had though just had a shower.. By the way, ordinarily I would wash my hair before going to get a haircut.

Anyhow, they said I had to have my hair washed if I wanted a hair cut. So I politely walked out.

I then went to a different hairdressers, was warmly greeted, didn’t have to give any details, got a complimentary double shampoo, then conditioner and scalp massage (I know how spoilt my 2 dogs are now!!), and a hair cut by a down to earth, friendly lady, for $22.

I’d been to that same hairdressers once before and had the same pleasant experience. I have no idea why I didn’t go back there tonight, in the first place.

I understand up-selling and so on, but when you just want a simple back and sides 10-15min hair cut, I just don’t know if there is a place for such a policy.. I can understand a non-pushy “Would you like to buy some product, or would you like to buy some shampoo” etc.

Anhow, just thought I’d share my whinge :) Kate (my better half) didnt want to listen to me :)

travelmaster
    • Total posts: 200
    Up

indeed, you should have gone there in the first place.

a good example of why we should stick with what we know, especially if it’s good.

Breevree73
    • Total posts: 112
    Up
    travelmaster, post: 120831 wrote:
    a good example of why we should stick with what we know, especially if it’s good.

But how would we ever get to know something is good if we don’t try it in the first place? What if, instead of terrible service, the other hairdresser was fantastic???

You have to take the leap of faith and try new stuff.

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

Just be careful. as a business owner you’ll analyse every scenario/situation with your business hat on. You’ll want to go and explain it all to your other half, who will be so exhausted of hearing your rants, they then just get the glazed look in their eye. Yes, I am speaking from experience :)

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Without oversimplifying the problem at hand (or hair), i think Mr Ray Kroc has a bloody lot to answer for in this post…

Who is Ray Kroc, oh come on… really.. LOL… The force behind…. wait for it,,, wait for it… “would you like fries with that?” being the McDonalds King…

Oh boy,,, want this, want that, want this, want that, pay for this, pay for that….

In society we tend to push for low cost in some simple scenarios although forget that when you go to a reputable more established business for that little bit extra you can get a lot more.. maybe a cookie with your coffee for an extra 50c, maybe a scalp massage with your hair cut (gets me everytime and i have no hair), or a foot wash with a relaxing massage…. you get the point…

And yeah, my partner gets tired of me analysing businesses.. especially when we are travelling and experiencing the other side of the coin and expectations..

Thanks for sharing your rant..

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

if they insist your hair is washed before a cut, why must you pay extra? that’s just mean. why not add the $6 and pitch the deal as “including a wash!”

but I was also going to note: wow, your haircuts are soooo cheap, I have little sympathy, and i can imagine your partner didn’t want to hear the whining for the same reason. :)

if you keep your business hat on you have to wonder how they can do the whole thing for $22 and make any money at all….

travelmaster
    • Total posts: 200
    Up
    Breevree73, post: 121199 wrote:
    But how would we ever get to know something is good if we don’t try it in the first place? What if, instead of terrible service, the other hairdresser was fantastic???

You have to take the leap of faith and try new stuff.

That would mean that the 1st place was not good enough to keep you as a client. If they were super good surely you would not be going to other places trying what they have to offer.

Leonie_C
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

Bob Ansett* once said

“We are in the business to create a customer then satisfy the needs of that customer.

To succeed with this objective, it means running the business to suit the customer.

Every product, policy, system and service needs to be predicated on this principle”

It’s all about how you run your business and this is based on your business values and goals. McDonalds have always served a customer need with ‘convenience, price and speed’ That’s their Brand and it’s based on a fairly well thought out set of values and goals.

The hairdresser model that Spinninghill talked about is an interesting one. What the first Hairdresser was doing was using some pretty standard up-selling and data gathering techniques. They are paying attention to building their busines with a focus on Their Business and the customer has been lost along the way.

When you focus on the customer and build an emotional connection with them all the other stuff happens almost automatically. They become happy to give you their details when they book an appointment, they don’t mind spending just a little extra because they perceive so much more value for their dollar, they tell other people about their good experience with you and they become loyal return customers.

We all have our bad customer experiences – you can bet few of us go back for a second try! And we even will act on the hearsay of others. That’s why I reckon the most important thing you can do is be deliberate about your business values and goals and develop them with the customer in mind. In the end, what the customer Thinks, Feels, and Believes about you has a tremendous impact on their decision to do business with you!

* Oh, I once used this Bob Ansett quote to someone who was young enough not to know about his amazing business philosophy and creation of the powerful customer based model he used in Budget Rent-A-Car. Sadly, they remembered his family association with the collapse of Ansett Airlines. If you are not familiar with his story, you can read about it on his website. http://www.bobansett.com.au

Have a great weekend folks!

jamee88
    • Total posts: 18
    Up

I can totally understand. I had an exactly similar experience myself once, though i always wash my hair before and after the haircut, but as it was summers, and i had done a hair wash in morning while i went for the cut in the vening, they insisted i get my hair washed again! and they were demanding around the same as you stated. Its terrible how they try to empty your pockets! I guess they dont realise this attitude will make them lose clients just like you walked out and i had too. Where as if they provide the same service as complimentary, there clients would readily increase!

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

Sorry, but is this a whinge about poor service, upselling or feeling bad you didn’t go back to the previous one who did a good job. I ask because I can’t see anywhere where you have mentioned the service provided was actually bad.

As a comparison, although not entirely the same, I took my first trip on a budget airline last weekend.

You had to pay extra for pretty much everything – manual check in, stored luggage, special seat allocation, food (less if you book in advance). No TV.

Admittedly my expectations were low, there was little service unless you actually bought something, but I saved about a grand (for 3 people) on a 2.5 hour flight.

I’ll use them again simply because on this occasion even with hardly any service, the experience was far better than my expectations and met that particualr need. Not long haul though.

spinninghill
    • Total posts: 345
    Up
    Johny, post: 122306 wrote:
    Sorry, but is this a whinge about poor service, upselling or feeling bad you didn’t go back to the previous one who did a good job. I ask because I can’t see anywhere where you have mentioned the service provided was actually bad.

As a comparison, although not entirely the same, I took my first trip on a budget airline last weekend.

You had to pay extra for pretty much everything – manual check in, stored luggage, special seat allocation, food (less if you book in advance). No TV.

Admittedly my expectations were low, there was little service unless you actually bought something, but I saved about a grand (for 3 people) on a 2.5 hour flight.

I’ll use them again simply because on this occasion even with hardly any service, the experience was far better than my expectations and met that particualr need. Not long haul though.

It was moreso about the fact they made me feel 2nd rate because I hadn’t wasked my hair in 40hrs, when in reality they were simply upselling.

I was sorry I didn’t make the effort to walk the extra 800m to the other hairdressers I’d been to once before, and had a pleasant experience – that was my stuff up. I did it for convenience for both myself and my fiance who was shopping at that end of the shopping centre. Lesson learnt! :)

www.lights2you.com.au
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    travelmaster, post: 121783 wrote:
    That would mean that the 1st place was not good enough to keep you as a client. If they were super good surely you would not be going to other places trying what they have to offer.

Some thing that you give up once, it is hard to go back. I am this kind of person.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.