Home – New Forums Tell me straight… POS App for retailers, feedback please!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    melly13
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone!
    I would very much appreciate some feedback on our new app we’re designing. I’ve breifly detailed the specs below :)

A brief overview: We’ve designed an app to improve the in store customer experience and save time/money for retailers. We are using image recognition technology to ‘see’ products, rather than relying 100% on barcodes, computer look-up or price lists.

Benefits:
    – reduce need for barcodes for products on which they are not suitable (small parts [think hardware, hobby/crafts], loose items, perishables, live items (plants/animals!).
    – save time on ‘price checks’ for products on which barcode has come off/not readable.

Our app builds upon the existing portable POS systems (in particular in app form designed for tablet or mobile devices). Sales staff can walk around the store, instantly look up the details of a product using just the device (even if the product has no barcode), and subsequently process the customer’s purchase then and there.

The app will make the shopping experience easier, richer and faster for customers (more profit).
    The app will save time for retailers (save money).

Feedback please! :-D
    Would you (if you’re a retailer) be interested in a subscription to such as app?
    How much would you pay?
    How useful would your business find this app and why?

Thank-you so much, it’s really hard getting feedback that’s not bisased (such as family and friends haha).
    Michelle.

MichaelF
    • Total posts: 34
    Up

Are you targeting specific retail industries? Or a one type fits all?

Will the app be pre-loaded with images or will the user have to build the database themselves?

Are you pricing with a one-off payment or monthly/annual service?

Have you considered that a lot of POS systems these days already have features where they can search by name, description or picture?

Do you believe a business would rather train it’s staff to know and understand the products it sells, or train it’s staff to operate another system?

Most businesses build their systems around the use of the barcode and making sure it’s consistent. Which retail businesses specifically to you believe will take on this app?

melly13
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

Thanks for your reply!

It’s a one size fits all. That being said, clearly it will be more useful to some industries more than others. Primarily targeting more tech savvy businesses that already use cloud base portable POS systems, who could see the value in this.

The app does not come with any images pre-loaded. All images are specific to the customer and form the database the software searches. If the customer has an online database of images (eg. a website selling their products already), they could easily use those images to batch upload to the app.

Similar to other cloud based POS, it will be a monthly subscription. Tiered depending on the size of the customer’s database.

And we have considered that many POS systems have the ability to search by name or description. However this is not as fast as snapping a photo. And if the technology is there, why not use it.

This would not replace staff knowledge, simply add far more detailed information at the fingertips of staff. Particularly useful if the store has thousands of products.

This app would be an add on to barcode usage, not replacing it. Although I am not saying that it isn’t possible that it could ;). It is simply an aid for situations in which the barcode is not practical. Or, the barcode has been removed/destroyed or is not reading correctly.

LG2
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

I think that’s a great idea to add, basically a photo matching search option to the POS system.

I used to work in a bead shop with literally thousands of different types/styles of beads. Whilst our system worked well because most of the products were packaged or labelled with barcodes, we had a whole range of loose beads available too. It often took several attempts of typing possible descriptions into the POS system to search for the exact loose bead, it was often quicker to go and find where the customer had got the bead from and get the price from there. It would have been so much easier to take a quick pic of the bead and have it pop up on the POS system in seconds.

Also, I have noticed how things have changed in the large hardware stores. You used to be able to buy one or two loose items, such as screws or sprinkler fittings and the staff would have to look up the item and price in a book, this app would have been perfect in that situation.

However, nowadays everything is sold in packets and if you can find a small item sold separately it is tagged or priced with a sticky label. It concerns me how much extra packaging we are manufacturing and disposing of, just so that our purchases have a barcode on for the POS system. Just look at the fruit and vegetables in the large supermarkets, sticky labels and tags on just about everything.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    LG2, post: 239797, member: 87071 wrote:
    Also, I have noticed how things have changed in the large hardware stores. You used to be able to buy one or two loose items, such as screws or sprinkler fittings and the staff would have to look up the item and price in a book, this app would have been perfect in that situation.

However, nowadays everything is sold in packets and if you can find a small item sold separately it is tagged or priced with a sticky label. It concerns me how much extra packaging we are manufacturing and disposing of, just so that our purchases have a barcode on for the POS system. Just look at the fruit and vegetables in the large supermarkets, sticky labels and tags on just about everything.

You have raised 2 of the things I initially thought about and I just wonder if this would solve the problem or not.

Would the technology be able to distinguish between a 13mm and a 19mm T joiner, where they both look virtually the same. Or the differing sized screws, which look virtually the same anyhow.

Or to use the fruit and vege example, having a produce person in the family, she often tells me some of the different types of apples (example) look so similar.

Will this help

LG2
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

It might eliminate some of the human error. Recently a sales assistant couldn’t recognise my broccolini, so they put it through as green beans instead. The funny thing is that the broccolini was clearly packaged with rubber bands and a barcode label. :)

busbee
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

I like the idea of image recognition. So often you get to a checkout particularly in a non grocery store and the item doesn’t have a barcode. It then involves a search by a shop assistant for the item on the shelves so that they can identify it. Meanwhile you and the other customers are kept waiting – seems a waste of time and resources. Also, it would save having to put a barcode on everything which also costs the retailer money. Have been told in a major grocery store that some customers switch the labels so that they are paying for a cheaper item – would help to stop this happening.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.