Home – New Forums Starting your journey Position Titles?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    bizkid
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    ::

Hey guys,

I have another question regarding position titles.

Although our business is relatively small, I still believe in being as professional as possible. So I would like to ensure everyone involved has a ‘position title’. Not in the sense to look fancy or important, but more to have a proper structure within the business and for customers to know who they are talking to (as a lot of contact will be via email)

Both myself and my partner are owners.

I am responsible for the general direction and administration of the business, and will deal with customer enquiries/problems (as his english is very poor).

My partner will be respobsible for managing the sub-contractors, and allocating work.

And we have a sub contractor who manages the labour.

I am trying to find logical titles for these 3 positions?

Any help?

Thank you all in advance!

TDGDESIGN
    • Total posts: 29
    Up

What business are you in?

I knew a marketing company that had titles like “chief dishwasher” and “dog’s body”
    They were obviously tongue in cheek.

You probably need to have titles that suit your clientelle to some degree.

bizkid
    Up

We’re in the cleaning business. I’ve been having a read around the place, and thought maybe..

Managing partner – for both myself and partner?

I wanted something that made sense, without trying to sound important for the sake of sounding important if you know what I mean..

But still stuck on the third?

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Bizkid,

Sounds to me like you are the General Manager, your partner is the Director of Operations, and your subcontractor is maybe the Team Leader?

Or something like that?

Good luck!
    Jayne

bizkid
    Up

Thanks Jayne!

That sounds far more logical.

Thanks for your help :)

TDGDESIGN
    • Total posts: 29
    Up

I think Managing Partner is good. Otherwise simply Director sounds good also.

For the third person if you were in Professional Services then Human Resources Manager or HR Manager would be perfect.

I think Team Leader works well too. Or Staff Co-ordinator or HR Co-ordinator

Project Manager would probably work also.

Good luck on the choice.

bizkid
    Up

Thanks Craig,

Looks like I have some planning to do!

Thanks for your help :)

• Total posts: 151
    Up

Giving staff titles

One thing you have to be aware of when giving position titles to staff or employees is that each title has a set of core duties and secondary duties assigned to the position according to legal definitions.

This is an area where businesses can face uneccessary compensation or Industrial relations fines because you may have not paid according to the title. Each position has a salary range attached to it as well.

Position Titles are found under ANSIC codes which list the duties and responsibilities for the Position Titles. Do a search for ANSIC codes and see what you find there that is appropriate for your staff.

I noticed that you use a sub-contractor to manage your labour. Is this labour his employees and contractors, or yours.

Because he is a sub-contractor [Has his own business] you cant give him a position title anyway. His title is whatever he refers to himself as in his business.

If this sub-contractor mainly performs work for your business, he might be treated as your employee by law. You will need to review this and protect your business from employee related complications if neccessary. If you give him a title, the law might see that as making him an employee of yours instead so be careful.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.