Home – New Forums Money matters Possible solution for Mac Snow Leopard and CSI for BAS lodgement

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up
    ::

Hi, after a couple of frustrating hours I finally made my CSI work with the ATO lodgement for BAS in both Safari and Firefox. For some reason, installing Snow Leopard a number of weeks ago meant that CSI needed to be reinstalled.
    I actually found it easier to remove CSI completely first (I use a little program called Amnesia which is fantastic for removing files on a Mac.)
    Then I re-downloaded the CSIinstall.dmg file and saved it to the desktop before clicking on it to reinstall.

Here is what I did for Snow Leopard:
    In FINDER go to:

Applications/Utilities/Java Preferences/
    Right click to Show Package Contents
    Then go to
    Contents/MacOS/Java Preferences

Double click on Java Preferences

You will see both a Terminal window and a Java Preferences window.
    In the Java Preferences window drag the order of the Java Applet Plugin and Applications to show 32-bit at the TOP of both mini windows.

Then check your CSI Store file is in the correct folder.
    Click Applications/CSI
    Right Click CSI Management Utility and show package contents.
    Copy your csistore file here if it isn’t showing.

Close Browser and Reopen Browser.
    Go to the Business Portal https://bp.ato.gov.au/ to log in.

Hopefully it will work for other Mac users too.

(Copied further post here)
    In the installer dmg folder, Show package contents/Contents/Resources/ jarfiles

Copy csi.jar /System/Library/Frameworks/Java.VM.Framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home/lib/ex

From what I remember I also copied other jar files just in case. So I’m not sure if they were necessary and I’m not a programmer. I probably copied more files than I needed to. But it worked.

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

CSI is really annoying isn’t it?

Good write up though :) I haven’t upgraded to Snow Leopard yet, so this might come in handy for myself later!

suranyami
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried what you described, but I’m getting a NullPointerException on the console, when I manually launch the CSI Management Application’s JavaApplicationStub.

It looks to me like there’s still PowerPPC code in there. I thought I would have had Rosetta on my machine, but that seems to have been turned off in Snow Leopard. Might have to reinstall it from the system disk.

So, mine’s still broken… sigh. What to do now, I wonder?

Here’s what it looks like:

[djp@imac ~]$/Applications/CSI/CSI Management Utility.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub ; exit;
    [JavaAppLauncher Warning] Java application launched from PPC stub. Relaunching in 32-bit, and tagging sub-processes to prefer 32-bit with $JAVA_ARCH=i386.
    [LaunchRunner Error] The main class “au.gov.bafcsi.clapi.crypto.CsiManager” could not be found.
    [JavaAppLauncher Error] CallStaticVoidMethod() threw an exception
    Exception in thread “main” java.lang.NullPointerException
    at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.run(LaunchRunner.java:112)
    at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.callMain(LaunchRunner.java:50)
    at apple.launcher.JavaApplicationLauncher.launch(JavaApplicationLauncher.java:52)
    [/CODE][CODE][djp@imac ~]$/Applications/CSI/CSI Management Utility.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub ; exit;
    [JavaAppLauncher Warning] Java application launched from PPC stub. Relaunching in 32-bit, and tagging sub-processes to prefer 32-bit with $JAVA_ARCH=i386.
    [LaunchRunner Error] The main class “au.gov.bafcsi.clapi.crypto.CsiManager” could not be found.
    [JavaAppLauncher Error] CallStaticVoidMethod() threw an exception
    Exception in thread “main” java.lang.NullPointerException
    at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.run(LaunchRunner.java:112)
    at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.callMain(LaunchRunner.java:50)
    at apple.launcher.JavaApplicationLauncher.launch(JavaApplicationLauncher.java:52)
    [/CODE]

Past-Member
    Up

Copy csi.jar /System/Library/Frameworks/Java.VM.Framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home/lib/ex

From what I remember I also copied other jar files just in case. So I’m not sure if they were necessary and I’m not a programmer. I probably copied more files than I needed to. But it worked.

Make sure csistore file is copied into folder too.

suranyami
    Up
    KarenC, post: 18403 wrote:

Awesome stuff! This worked with just copying the csi.jar.

This is the correct path, though:

sudo cp csi.jar /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home/lib/ext[/CODE][CODE]sudo cp csi.jar /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home/lib/ext[/CODE]

Past-Member
    Up

Glad you worked it out. It was hard to remember. Wish the ATO would put some clear instructions up for us. Hopefully soon.

suranyami
    Up
    KarenC, post: 18407 wrote:
    Glad you worked it out. It was hard to remember. Wish the ATO would put some clear instructions up for us. Hopefully soon.

Okay, spoke a bit too soon… Safari and Firefox still say the CSI is not installed… might have to try copying some of those other jars you mentioned.

ben_k
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

How do you import your certificates though?

Hi guys, I’ve tried these steps before… But I can’t import my digital certificate. It says “wrong password” but it’s not….
    Did anyone have success importing a certificate under Snow Leopard?

Past-Member
    Up

Just wondered – did you copy all the jar files as above and also the csistore file to the correct folder? Try going back to the first post and work through. For me, the csistore file had to be copied to the other folder to work. You also should try using Firefox instead of Safari for the ATO.

ben_k
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Fixed: how to get a certificate imported in Snow Leopard

The problem seems to have always the fact that i couldn’t import my new digital certificate under Snow Leopard.
    CSI Management utility didn’t have write permissions to these folders:
    /Users/ben/.csi
    /Users/ben/.csi/logs

I used TinkerTool to see these folders (which are by default invisible) then just changed permissions using the Finder to everyone able to Read/Write

I still couldn’t import the certificate file, but I WAS able to import it here:

pki.ato.gov.au/atocdia/welcomeimport.htm

This was a new certificate that had never been installed.
    Hope this helps someone.

cwm67
    • Total posts: 40
    Up

why not just hand write the BAS and post off and lodge maunally . the ATO only audit BAS lodged electronically , divide receitps by 11 and divide payments by 11 , I would of though it was straight forward. no need for all the drama

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

+1 on someone else who owns a Mac + just does it all “postal”

The stamps are tax deductible and I’ve got an over supply of envelopes to use :D lol

I gave up trying to use CSI on my Mac a long time ago. Save myself the drama.

The only other way around it is to install Windoze (incorrect spelling on purpose) as well on your Mac.

Past-Member
    Up

re divide receipts by 11 and divide payments by 11 , I would of though it was straight forward

I prefer electronic lodgement. After working it all out in MYOB then I put the main figures into the ATO and the calculator moves them into the correct areas.

You have to work out GST on capital expenses, normal expenses, allow for any input taxes, allow for any purchases without tax (like stock images purchased overseas) and similar; and also separate personal use percentage from business use if the items were used for both (ie car). So, it’s not that simple and I find the calculator in the ATO CSI Bas handy – you just put the figures in and it translates to the form quickly ready to submit.

See more at ATO http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/pathway.asp?pc=001/003/099&mfp=001&mnu=42557#001_003_099

Perhaps there is a Mac expert at the ATO now who can help you – the CSI is working fine for me and I’m on Snow Leopard.*

*NOTE: Since the current Firefox update 3.5.5. the ATO Business Portal only works in SAFARI 4.4 for me on Snow Leopard because the PASSWORD window currently only works in Safari not in Firefox which I just tested.

BruceR
    • Total posts: 195
    Up

Thanks for all the tips everyone – I’ve now got it running in Snow Leopard too!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.