Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Postcard opinions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Candela
    • Total posts: 27
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone

I’d love to get some opinions on my marketing postcard, it’s not original since I found the idea on Flickr when looking for inspiration.

My business creates photo realistic illustrations for architects and developers. About 4-5 weeks ago I sent all the Architects a formal sales intro letter outlining what we can do to help them etc…. Now I want to send a follow up postcard showing off one of our images. The postcard has an image on the front showing one of our illustrations and on the back where you write the address etc…. I have the following text

{Name}
    I always wondered what life would be like if I had a floppy, rainbow
    lake trout for an arm. I mean, think about it. Would my mother still
    have screamed, “*Martin Purcell, get your freakin’ floppy rainbow
    lake trout arm out of the cookie jar!”? I have my doubts.

Lucky for you I have two normal hands so creating spectacular
    illustrations of your designs will not be hindered by any floppy
    rainbow lake trout arms.

{sign off}

I like it but some friends think it might be too crazy and weird ?
    I’m thinking that it might be different enough to get passed around or commented on where a std letter might just get tossed in the bin because it’s the same old thing.

Any thoughts.

Martin

FionaFell
    • Total posts: 342
    Up

Well you would stand out….(And it would give you something to mention when you call for a followup chat)

Candela
    Up

That’s what I thought. Plus the first lot I sent the standard letter too weren’t the chattiest type on the phone when I made the dreaded follow up call. So I figure I don’t have a lot to lose if I go a bit crazy .

Rebekah – Your Architect
    • Total posts: 28
    Up

Hi Martin,

First things first – you need to get your website on your signature!! It took me a good minute to find it. I think you can do this by Quick Links, Edit Your Signature.

As an architect, we get countless information on various products and services. Most don’t even make it past the secretary. As a sole practitioner, I see a lot more of them, and most end up in the bin. Your postcard is a great idea, but I’d hate to see you spend money on something that doesn’t achieve anything. I think you’re better off aiming for something memorable. So that when a big company is looking for a new illustrator, or a small company needs to use one for the first time, your name is the one they remember. You could still use your same idea, but perhaps in a different format – and something that actually gets to the architects. For example, an add in Architectural Product News (we all tend to flip through it over coffee) or actually visiting the office to drop your postcards off with matching cupcakes or lollies with your company name on them. Probably both tacky ideas – I’m obviously not a marketing guru! But might help you get remembered past the secretary’s bin.

Best of luck! I’ve copied down your details into my outlook for future reference!

Rebekah – Your Architect
    Up

Plus, I haven’t met an architect yet that doesn’t like cake!

Candela
    Up
    Rebekah, post: 12307 wrote:
    Plus, I haven’t met an architect yet that doesn’t like cake!

Thanks for the tips Rebekah, much appreciated especially since your my marketing audience..

Funny thing is “Your Architect” was on my list to send an introductory letter to next month. Since you have my details now I’ll remove you from my mail out list. Next time I’m in Brisbane I’ll remember you like cake with your postcard.

I’ll also look into putting an ad in Architectural Product News.

Thanks again
    Martin

Rebekah – Your Architect
    Up

Any time Martin, glad to be of help! Best of luck,

IconTim
    • Total posts: 17
    Up

Hi Martin
    I love the idea and is zany enough to excite me

Make sure you dont say “cookie” unless your Mum was a Mom

The postcard should get people to take your call – what you do on that call is the real deal breaker

What does your script for the phone call look like

Cheers
    Tim

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Hey I like the idea and the cake.
    You are stepping outside the square and being innovated and artistic.

Its the follow up phone calls that need to be as innovative but professional.
    You need the ‘wow’ factor to keep flowing all the way to the top.

You can do it

Candela
    Up

Thanks for the comments, here’s a bit more info.

The 1st letter I sent to Gold Coast Arch was an introduction sales letter(50). 4 weeks later I sent another letter offering an Aug special of 25% off a single image. I then followed up with a phone call mid month to see if anyone was interested in taking that offer since it gave me a reason to call.

Results
    – 40% where too small for the service or no longer existed etc… so I crossed them off the list
    – 10% did it in house but put it on file in case they need higher quality for marketing.
    – 50% told me they filed it away for when they need the service.

Most people where nice enough, some I couldn’t get past the gatekeeper and some where rude. I also monitored my website for visitors using the free Google Analytics and was a bit surprised as I was expecting more website visits then 3, which I can’t even guarantee came from the letter.

The 1st run of letters I sent to Brisbane 4 weeks ago (100) with no special discount offer, just an introduction sales letter about what we could do for them. I’m not the first to admit I’m not too good with sales phone calls. So if I send a crazy postcard like this what sort of call would you follow up with. All my responses so far have been the same “Yes we got the letter and we filed it away for when we need an illustration done, thanks for the letter” When I get a sales call from someone I pretty much say the same thing, and Its not to get rid of them, I really do put it in the side draw and I will call when I need the service.

Any thoughts?

Thrive Promotional
    • Total posts: 146
    Up

Hello Martin

One of the keys to any direct mail it to get it opened and read … and then, the ultimate .. to be kept and remembered.

Postcards are great and cost effective. However, to stand out and be different, this is where promotional products shine. A well selected branded item that appeals to the target, will not only be remembered and kept …. but used (long after a standard sales letter).

So, my suggestion for consideration –

If you are marketing to architects, think about their tools of trade and include (even to a ‘test’ section of your database), a branded item e.g. rule, pencil.

Use the KiSS … keep in simple message, rather than a long message that may confuse and really doesn’t convey anything about what you are going to do for them. Brand the promo item with, for example … “bring your designs to life in 3D using Candela + website”

Hope this offers another idea. If I can help let me know.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

You’ve got some nice work on your site candela. What software do you use?

Marketing a service is a tough gig and often harder than just flogging a product. Best of luck with it.

Candela
    Up

Thanks for the tips.

The postcard has been binned for now due to printing issues. Instead I’m printing the same image on Photo 6×4 paper from my photo printer and putting it in an envelope with a note attached to the image. It actually works out cheaper than getting a printer to do the job and the quality is better.

Dan – I use 3D Max + VRay + Photoshop. Your right I’m finding it a lot harder to flog a service rather than a product.

Martin

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.