Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Potential client asked me for a resume…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Everyday bookkeeping
    • Total posts: 26
    Up
    ::

Was interviewing a potential client yesterday and he ask me for my resume… just wondering if that was normal.
    I dont ask my machanic for a resume to do an oil change or my accountant for one to do my Tax.
    I of cause didnt have one with me. i told him he could ring a couple of clients that were happy to give me a reference then after the interview rang them to give them heads up to the possible call.
    My question is am I to expect this a lot and have a few clients lined up to be a reference or do i put together a resume and take it with me?

Yep i think Clients in small Comunities are use to Hiring staff not out sourcing to contractors. Oh well i was ready this time thanks to everyone My flyer is ok (i Think) and no web site yet still out of the budjet yet but will be looking soon, if i get these new clients in might be sooner Yeah. Again thank you for all the Help.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi everyday!

How about putting one on LinkedIn and directing anyone who asks for it there?

Good luck with it all!
    Jayne

akagrp
    • Total posts: 315
    Up

Hello

This really depends on how long you have been trading and how the client has found you. It is not uncommon in your line of work for clients to ask for this.

What I would recommend is create a one page Introduction to yourself include your professional details and memberships. Include a short brief on why you are different and that they can contact you for details for referees.

It is becoming more common for clients to ask to speak to other clients, I have been trading for 12 years and late last year a new client asked to contact not 1 but three referees.

FS recommendation for Linkedin is also recommended but I would not only have that and tell a prospective client go online to see who I am, at least not in your line of business as many business owners accept the bookkeeper to do a lot of things for them, so demonstrate that you provide everything in a simple format to them with min fuss.

Good luck

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Hey, why dont you do something different like have a brochure,which outlines your specialities and a brief description of who and what your business is/does. No need for a resume just a well thought out brochure that will be part of your marketing.

Does that make sence or have I been sipping the cooking sherry again

Barb
    • Total posts: 144
    Up

I suppose they have every right to find out who they’re dealing with. I, myself, haven’t had a client ask me for a resume or reference to date, but having said that, I like the idea of having professional information on a website or brochure about what I’ve done and my achievements.

It’s also a good way to demonstrate your skills if you design a brochure yourself, especially in what I do.

Regards,

Accounts Studio
    • Total posts: 516
    Up

Hi

Good question. If I am going to see a larger, more complicated client then I will often take a copy of my background work history with me – only because it shows I have had a lot of experience in foreign exchange, importing, finance etc. If I think it will help me get over the line with the client and is necessary then I will give them a copy as part of their courtesy pack. It is not something I have really been asked for by anyone though. A brochure is a great idea, or a pack containing rates, summary of experience, referrals to contact, testimonials etc.

Dardee
    • Total posts: 430
    Up

I had this occur last week but was prepared for it with a one page document like others have mentioned. I gave them that, a business card, and they were more than happy with that.

Have good referees available as well. I met with someone yesterday, they wanted 2 referees. I gave them 2 names, they called the first, were more than impressed with what they were told so didn’t even bother with the second. Add 1 new client as a result. Yay me.

Adam Randall
    • Total posts: 382
    Up

We have a capability statement that assists here.

http://creydall.com/brochures/Capability%20Statement.pdf

We also have several tetsimonials.

Basically the potential client is lacking trust in you which is understandable because you are a stranger. Your job is to bring their level of trust up to a level where they will do business with you.

Everyday bookkeeping
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

The idea about the “one page Introduction” is great and the “brochure” is as well i have made a template of both and its being sent around my current clients as we speak. Best way i know to introduce my current clients to something they might not know about the work i can do. Website is beyond me but a must and will have to outsource that one.

Thank you to all who have given comments I really appreciate it.

Army of One
    • Total posts: 37
    Up

Yeah – you need to realise from a clients perspective, when they decide to use your services, they are not only buying your services, they are buying a little piece of you!

I am sure you have come across people (clients, friends or family) who are obviously getting either poor quality service or poor advice – yet those same people still rave about the person they are dealing with.

Don’t be shy – promote yourself as best you can – don’t be afraid to tell people why you are better than other bookkeepers and why you are special!

Hopefully this experience with someone asking for your resume will enable you to twist it round to your advantage and improve your own self promotion and gain you more clients!

Kris

BrightSpark
    • Total posts: 131
    Up
    Everydaybookkeeping, post: 24612 wrote:
    The idea about the “one page Introduction” is great and the “brochure” is as well i have made a template of both and its being sent around my current clients as we speak. Best way i know to introduce my current clients to something they might not know about the work i can do. Website is beyond me but a must and will have to outsource that one.
    Does this mean that you don’t have a website at this stage? This is where I would put my first effort into creating, because on this you can show Who, What, Where, Why etc of what you are all about. It can have a brochure, testimonials or even an “about you” section (resume) which you can just point the people that want to know.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.