Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Press release timing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Halyna67
    • Total posts: 18
    Up
    ::

Well i have written a press release that i am happy with and i have contact details for local papers that i would like to share it with.

Because some of the local papers have shared readership, i want to avoid the situation of the same story appearing in two or more papers and being read by the same readers (or do i?).

Should i send my oress release to one paper at a time and wait to see whether or not it gets published, before sending another, or should i just bite the bullet and send them all out.

If i do send to one paper, how much time should i allow before sending the same press release to another paper?

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

A note re press releases – the local newspapers want a ‘story’. In other words, it can’t be advertising. You have to purchase space for that.
    Does your press release feature a ‘good news story’ that features your business or services? And a photo. That’s what they like to receive.

They get inundated with press releases, so it has to be a story that catches their eye.
    And the photo must be separate and high res – not within a word doc.

I think someone wrote elsewhere on FS about this.

Cheers.

PS Found the article http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/marketing/public-relations-pr/what-every-soloist-needs-to-know-about-pitching-to-the-media

Halyna67
    Up

Hi Karen,

Thank you for your reply and thank you for the link to the article.

I have read most of the posts and articles to do with press releases but hadn’t come across that one before.

My question however is more to do with the timing of sending out the press releases – to all the local papers at once, or one at a time and see if it gets published.

Cheers.

Simply Money Honey
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

Send your press release out to as many relevant contacts that you have all at once. It doesn’t hurt to send it to different people at the same publication. Journalists know that press releases go to everyone. If they want something different they will call you and get an exclusive interview or quote.

It is different if you have a relationship with a particular journalist you can offer them the story exclusively first but otherwise just send to everyone.

Cheers

Gabrielle

Wordsmith
    • Total posts: 194
    Up

Hi there
    I’m a former journo and we all know your media release isn’t exclusive (unless you tell us it is), so feel free to send it to as many or as few outlets as you’d like to.
    As for sending it to multiple people at the same paper – please don’t. It means time poor journalists on deadline realise they have doubled up.
    If you send it to more than one person, CC the others in so they can decide who will write it up. I recommend emailing a specific journalist and then CCing in the general editorial email address.
    If you’re trying to stagger out coverage, just remember that you may not get coverage the week you send a media release. It could happen a few weeks after depending on space, so maybe hit up two or three publications at the same time. You may achieve the same outcome by default. If not, no loss.
    That said, with public holidays coming up you may have more chances of getting coverage. Why? Fewer journos in the newsroom and less competition basically. I wrote a blog on this in the lead up to Christmas and the same principles apply. You can read it here: http://jaggededgecommunications.blogspot.com.au/2013/11/why-now-is-good-time-to-send-out-media.html.
    For media with weekly deadlines, I recommend giving 10 days worth or warning; enough time to set up photos, interviews, etc and timely so they don’t forget it.
    Long lead publications like magazines – three months and a follow up strategy.
    Otherwise, don’t send a media release on the deadline day (the day before the paper comes out etc) and don’t send it on the day of a major event unless you can piggy-back off that major event.
    Just to add a bit of a personal insight – When I was on the other side of the newsdesk, I liked getting emails around 11am. I’d cleared out all the junk, done the morning mass delete (you don’t want to be among that), had my third coffee coffee and was feeling on top of things.
    Also, my name is Kirsty and I used to delete emails that started with ‘Hi Kristy’ … It is a good idea to spell the journos name right.
    I hope this information is of assistance. If you need help, give us a shout!

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up
    Halyna67, post: 188320 wrote:
    Because some of the local papers have shared readership, i want to avoid the situation of the same story appearing in two or more papers and being read by the same readers (or do i?).

Great to see you’ve had some good advice come in. I jus want to add that your biggest battle is not having duplicate articles everywhere, it’s not being seen at all.

Even if your perfect customer gets the right paper on the right day, and has time to read it, they will still most likely skim through the paper and completely miss your ad or article. And even if all the stars align and they do glance at your ad, they may not immediately realise its importance for them and still not get the message.

In summary, the odds are against you, get as many articles in play as you can.

Good luck!

Dave

Halyna67
    Up

Thanks for some amazing feedback! It has given me some direction.

Kirtsy (not Kristy!) how good is it to have a former journo on the FS forums. Interesting insight about the 11 am timing too.

Wordsmith
    • Total posts: 194
    Up

Kirsty not Kirtsy ;-)
    It’s an easy mistake to make haha!

Halyna67, post: 188394 wrote:

Kirtsy (not Kristy!) how good is it to have a former journo on the FS forums. Interesting insight about the 11 am timing too.

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    Halyna67, post: 188394 wrote:

You’ve got some great advice from Kristy, and I would second it all.

I’d also add a couple of things:

1. when you send out the PR, make sure you are available by phone whenever they call. It can be easy to reach and speak to, you’ll get the quote in the paper.

2. be clear about what you want to communicate so that you get your main message across (when they interview you).

3. make sure it isn’t an ‘announcement’ press release. It has to be newsworthy – a story.

I was picked up by SMH, The Age, Canberra Times, Brisbane Times last week. It is nice to get some free press ;)

Good luck!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.