Home – New Forums Starting your journey PrestaShop vs BigCommerce vs Shopify

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    SuzzyGal
    • Total posts: 19
    Up
    ::

Does anyone have any feedback on which of the following is a better shopping cart solution? I’ve looked at reviews etc. but these are all from years ago and so outdated that most of the concerns have already been addressed. We would be looking at working with an already built template and just changing the pictures/information. I have already looked at OpenCart and Magento and I don’t want to use either, so I’m down to the 3 in the title.

gavinator
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

I think it will depend on what your requirements are. I’d recommend thinking about your fulfillment/delivery/payment process etc then doing a free trial on each to see how they shape up. While you are trialling each one you can get a feel for how easy it will be to use, and how difficult it will be to tweak the layout/design to your liking.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Suzzy,

The question which one is better is too broad. Like asking whats the best car or best place to live. Its possible to argue none of them are any good. Each solution will have its own strengths, you need to identify what your requirements are exactly and make some best guesses on your future needs to determine what is best for you.

Steve

JustJames
    • Total posts: 104
    Up

Suzzy, the best way to answer your question is to use the trial versions and see how they work out.

This is what I did when I set up my online store.

You will quickly see which of them miss features that you require, and from there you decision will be easy.

FWIW, I looked at among others, BigCommerce and Ashop, and went with Ashop. Not because I thought that it was technically superior, but because there was a particular ‘must have’ feature that Ashop offered.

James

Mark – The Geek Shed
    • Total posts: 18
    Up

Hi Suzzy,

I had done a fair bit of research the same way the other guys have said to do, just sign up for the free trials and see what suits you best. I went with Bigcommerce because it did what i needed and is pretty well priced. It has a mobile version and integrates with my accounting package.

The only thing is the included templates are OK and are costly to get a new one made whereas if you went with Opencart or the like it is harder to setup but much cheaper to maintain and change the template but it isn’t as secure.

Mark

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    SuzzyGal, post: 145226 wrote:
    Does anyone have any feedback on which of the following is a better shopping cart solution? I’ve looked at reviews etc. but these are all from years ago and so outdated that most of the concerns have already been addressed. We would be looking at working with an already built template and just changing the pictures/information. I have already looked at OpenCart and Magento and I don’t want to use either, so I’m down to the 3 in the title.

Why have you discounted local Australian based hosted solutions? Are you selling into Australia? The lure of a lower monthly price from the likes of Shopify does not take into account the total cost of ownership. There are some very good and safe Australian solutions like Neto, MyShopInABox, Ozcart, Ashop, ezimerchant, and our solution eCornerStoresPlus.

I would really be interested to understand your choice.

Thanks

John

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    John Debrincat, post: 145376 wrote:
    Why have you discounted local Australian based hosted solutions? Are you selling into Australia? The lure of a lower monthly price from the likes of Shopify does not take into account the total cost of ownership. There are some very good and safe Australian solutions like Neto, MyShopInABox, Ozcart, Ashop, ezimerchant, and our solution eCornerStoresPlus.

I would really be interested to understand your choice.

Thanks

JohnBig commerce are Aussie owned but Texan based.

Really, it doesn’t matter where they are located… as long as the features and service is there.

John Debrincat
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 145377 wrote:
    Big commerce are Aussie owned but Texan based.

Really, it doesn’t matter where they are located… as long as the features and service is there.

They are all USA based and hosted, and very USA first focused. Do you really believe that they care very much about our market here in Australia when it is less than 2% of their overall market.

Whereas Australian operated and based companies are very focused on the local market and conditions.

So I would say that it matters a great deal where they are located. Although their large marketing spend has tried to convince local companies otherwise but that is all it is marketing.

Of the three Bigcommerce does the best job of thinking local due to their heritage.

There are also performance, SEO and service issues to be considered.

Maybe also a small issue of supporting Australian businesses.

John

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    John Debrincat, post: 145382 wrote:
    Maybe also a small issue of supporting Australian businesses.

JohnBy using Big Commerce you are supporting Aussie businesses, because they are Australian.

Do you have any evidence that they don’t look after anyone but US customers? Of course their focus is there, they are the largest economy in the world. That kinda makes good business sense…

The OP has done some research and narrowed it down to three choices. Instead of giving advice, you have suggested she change tack completely and confused her.

John Debrincat
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 145385 wrote:
    By using Big Commerce you are supporting Aussie businesses, because they are Australian.

I have nothing against BigCommerce and I give them credit for what they have done. I believe I said similar in the first response to you.

MatthewKeath, post: 145385 wrote:
    Instead of giving advice, you have suggested she change tack completely and confused her.

I asked the OP a simple question and that was why has she discounted local Australian based and hosted solutions? It is a pretty simple question. So I don’t think it is confusing at all. And by the way I don’t see any response that says she is confused. So maybe it would be better if you left her to answer the question. If she doesn’t want to I am sure that she won’t.

I also have not suggested that she change anything!

So you have jumped to an assumed defense of the USA based solutions over Australian based solutions. So why did you do that?

John

Eng UNG
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

Hi SuzzyGal,

You’ve selected some pretty popular e-commerce hosting solutions, and they’ve all good solutions, though I’ve not tried them all. If you want something up and running quickly, I think you’re wise to avoid Opencart & Magento as they require a steep learning curve and you’ll need someone on board who knows a bit of coding.

easypeas
    • Total posts: 80
    Up

This thread may be getting old now, but someone may find it useful still. One of the downfalls I saw with Bigcommerce was the lack of Australian servers – in terms of speed and google ranking. However, I heard they are now switching over to using Amazon EC2 for their cloud infrastructure… which now includes a Sydney datacentre :)

Allena Mandy
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

The feeling that BigCommerce mainly gives is that it is a solid company, knows what it is doing, offering quality integration with multi-channel sales and marketing systems, and providing a wide range of quality features for good pricing. It now has even its own payment gateway system in place. But does its free templates really match the quality of Shopify templates? Does it have a functional and user-friendly content manager that is intuitive and flexible?

How I feel is this…One can feel confident that Shopify will get you the best looking and easy-to-manage solution…BigCommerce and Volusion ecommerce platform, on the other hand give you the confidence that they provide ‘overall good service’ but may be not as appealing visually, most of their free templates are still relying on ‘the boring menus on the side and lets put some pics in the middle design

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.