Home – New Forums Starting your journey Prices for my graphic design business?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    wbw
    • Total posts: 34
    Up
    ::

Hi, I am just starting out a very small work at home graphic design business. I am partly self taught and also have done dreamweaver, flash proffesional and coding courses. I have done some work for my own businesses and have some work I have done for a couple of other businesses to add to my portfolio (facebook welcome page, timeline cover, additional tabs, logo’s, business cards, flyers etc) What would be a reasonable price to charge people to start off with for these services?

Many Thanks

Kym

Tiggerito
    • Total posts: 362
    Up

With graphic design work it varies so much with talent and skill set.

• Do you have a public portfolio you can share?

Other additional website related skills that can enhance your value:

• Do you cut up designs into html templates?
    • Do you integrate your designs with CMSs?
    • Can you code in php or other languages
    • Do you design for eCommerce systems

In my industry (Internet Marketing) value is even more variable. I started of very low and have been increasing my rate based on demand for my services.

Tiggerito
    • Total posts: 362
    Up

With graphic design work it varies so much with talent and skill set.

• Do you have a public portfolio you can share?

Other additional website related skills that can enhance your value:

• Do you cut up designs into html templates?
    • Do you integrate your designs with CMSs?
    • Can you code in php or other languages
    • Do you design for eCommerce systems

In my industry (Internet Marketing) value is even more variable. I started of very low and have been increasing my rate based on demand for my services.

Mick-Markting-Man
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

Depends mate, how good is your work?

If you can do something reasonable, no less than $50/hour. If you are good, the sky is the limit!

Mick-Markting-Man
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

Depends mate, how good is your work?

If you can do something reasonable, no less than $50/hour. If you are good, the sky is the limit!

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

Well nothing that a couple of hours visiting competitor sites and seeing what they charge won’t reveal. Called market research. This will assist you is better positioning yourself in the market and from seeing who they are targeting and what they charge this will help you answer your own, very non-specific question.

It is amazing what you can achieve when you take the bit between your teeth ;)

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

Well nothing that a couple of hours visiting competitor sites and seeing what they charge won’t reveal. Called market research. This will assist you is better positioning yourself in the market and from seeing who they are targeting and what they charge this will help you answer your own, very non-specific question.

It is amazing what you can achieve when you take the bit between your teeth ;)

wbw
    Up

I have had a look around at some other prices, but just still a bit unsure because there is such a range in prices and I am just starting, where as there are people who have a lot of experience.

My situtation is that I am a stay at home mum with a 5 month and 20 month old girls. My graphic design is hobby turned part time small business. I am not advertising, just have a facebook page but will have a website up soon. I also don’t want to advertise too much at this stage as I am not in a position to take on high quantities of work but happy to do some work through word of mouth or if I get some one from facebook or twitter. Most people on my facebook and twitter are work at home mums with a very low budget.

Here is a link to my portfolio on facebook
    I am just starting out and to start with I am just offering.

Facebook Profile picture, Welcome page, Timeline cover, Additional tabs Banners for web, Business Card, Logo, Flyers

I am going to put this up on my facebook page and can add carts to facebook if requested but not advertising websites at this stage, although I do have one I am re-doing and another one I will begin soon. Maybe when I have built up a good portfolio of websites and when I am back in the swing of work and the girls at family daycare then I will add website. I will do a website if it is requested and I don’t have too much other work on at the time. It is something I see myself continually growing with and have planned to do some more courses.

wbw
    Up

I have had a look around at some other prices, but just still a bit unsure because there is such a range in prices and I am just starting, where as there are people who have a lot of experience.

My situtation is that I am a stay at home mum with a 5 month and 20 month old girls. My graphic design is hobby turned part time small business. I am not advertising, just have a facebook page but will have a website up soon. I also don’t want to advertise too much at this stage as I am not in a position to take on high quantities of work but happy to do some work through word of mouth or if I get some one from facebook or twitter. Most people on my facebook and twitter are work at home mums with a very low budget.

Here is a link to my portfolio on facebook
    I am just starting out and to start with I am just offering.

Facebook Profile picture, Welcome page, Timeline cover, Additional tabs Banners for web, Business Card, Logo, Flyers

I am going to put this up on my facebook page and can add carts to facebook if requested but not advertising websites at this stage, although I do have one I am re-doing and another one I will begin soon. Maybe when I have built up a good portfolio of websites and when I am back in the swing of work and the girls at family daycare then I will add website. I will do a website if it is requested and I don’t have too much other work on at the time. It is something I see myself continually growing with and have planned to do some more courses.

wbw
    wbw
    Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

There are many considerations for pricing and FS has a great tool you can use to work out an hourly rate. http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/hourlyratecalculator

Plus you must have insurances and ABN registration and other things in mind. I have written a resource section at this link here that may help you http://www.unicorngraphics.com.au/Unicorn-Students/freelance/soyouwanttofreelance.html

Cheers.
    Karen C.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

There are many considerations for pricing and FS has a great tool you can use to work out an hourly rate. http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/hourlyratecalculator

Plus you must have insurances and ABN registration and other things in mind. I have written a resource section at this link here that may help you http://www.unicorngraphics.com.au/Unicorn-Students/freelance/soyouwanttofreelance.html

Cheers.
    Karen C.

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

Just remember, it is a lot easier to reduce your prices than put them up. At least in initial stages of start up.

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

Just remember, it is a lot easier to reduce your prices than put them up. At least in initial stages of start up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.