Home – New Forums Tech talk Printer recommendations ??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    @HeatherSmithAU
    • Total posts: 525
    Up
    ::

I need a colour printer that will Print+Copy+Scan.

I do not have a high volume of printing.

I do not need fax.

I am concerned about the printer cartridge expense.

Can anyone recommend a printer that does not go thru expensive print cartridges regularily.

I have tried using ‘refills’ but they have caused problems in the past.

Budget of about $450.

yourvirtualboard
    • Total posts: 569
    Up

Hi Heather,

I use (and have for the last 3 years) a HP Office Jet All-in-One and it does what you describe you’d like perfectly.

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up

I previously used a HP, but after a paper jam it died and was going to cost more to repair than to fix. It did print lovely photos though.

I’ve just bought a Cannon MP640 which isn’t too bad, and was around $170(?). I think I prefer the pictures on the HP better (this one seems to bleed a little – almost like the paper is overly saturated with ink – but maybe I’m not using the right setting/paper – it’s new), but I like that this has individual colour cartridges so I you’re heavy on one colour, you don’t have to replace ones that haven’t been used. It also has wireless capabilities, so it helps reduce the amount of cables connected to everything – particularly helpful when you work off a laptop.

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up
    MYOB, post: 51514 wrote:

I do not need fax.

Can anyone recommend a printer that does not go thru expensive print cartridges regularily.

Budget of about $450.

There is not really such a thing as an economical Inkjet cartridge unless you want to look at clones.

For around $450 you can get a Samsung multifunction laser (i don’t have the model number sorry) which does all these things. Toners do 1500 pages for around $120. I have not tried it with this (only photocopiers), but toner refills are simple compared with inkjet.

IMO unless you want to print photographs there’s not much reason to buy an inkjet anymore, or unless you are talking really small volume (<100 per month). If you are doing photo's it's also much much cheaper to take them into the machines at suitable retail outlets.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    MYOB, post: 51514 wrote:

I do not need fax.

Budget of about $450.

My Epson Stylus Office TX610FW does all that + more (but you said you didnt really want more) for nearly half that. Off Hand around $200.00 I paid for it.

Whether it suits you or not I dont really know, options it has:
    – WI-FI connection
    – Ethernet Connection
    – Fax Capability (with or without using computer)
    – “Dual Number” compliant (think 2 phone numbers on same line).
    – Copy (with or without using computer)
    – Scan
    – Memory Card reader ( xD/MS/SD and CF) (with or without using computer)
    – USB port (havent tried this as i dont need it).
    – Menu options on unit include: Display/crop, copies,Camera settings, Fax keypad.

Havent tried photo printing yet, but have re-printed some pics for a friend with very good results.

dont know if that helps at all, but then it all depends on your usage…

billfredtom
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

Whenever I buy an inkjet, I price the ink cartridges first, then match the printer to them. I recently got a Canon MP550 for about $150, it is a good quality printer, and the ink is much cheaper compared to HP, Epson or Lexmark.

IT Advocate
    • Total posts: 195
    Up
    billfredtom, post: 51573 wrote:
    Whenever I buy an inkjet, I price the ink cartridges first, then match the printer to them. I recently got a Canon MP550 for about $150, it is a good quality printer, and the ink is much cheaper compared to HP, Epson or Lexmark.

You can’t just look at price alone, there needs to be a yield comparison. Some cartridges are larger than others, there is no standard for prints per cartridge size.

Any of the multi functions offered by Officeworks will suffice. Often they have really good specials on printers. I just picked up a samsung colour laser for $166.

To find the prints per cartridge you will need to perform some research on their websites, it can be hard to locate.

IT Advocate
    • Total posts: 195
    Up
    IT Advocate, post: 51586 wrote:
    To find the prints per cartridge you will need to perform some research on their websites, it can be hard to locate.

Ive just been looking on Officeworks.com.au, they have the Canon MP640 for $188.

Ive gone through the Canon website for the replacement cartridges however they do not offer the prints per cartridge numbers (@ 5% coverage). After a quick google search I don’t think Canon release these numbers at all for their consumer classed printers.

Same with Epson, this is from their website: This printer ships with a full set of ink cartridges and some ink from the first set is used for priming the printer. Yields will vary considerably based on images printed, print settings, paper type, frequency of use and ambient temperature.

Laser toner cartridges normally have a yield@5% coverage.

Hopefully some of the IT guys on here can provide some real world experience to cost per page specs.

billfredtom
    • Total posts: 19
    Up
    IT Advocate, post: 51586 wrote:
    Some cartridges are larger than others, there is no standard for prints per cartridge size.

Yep this is a good point. In my personal circumstance, I print very minimally, and try to keep everything I can soft copy. So when I need a new cartridge, a $25 ink tank feels much nicer than a $60 or $70 tank.

Anonymous
    Up

Have to agree with IT Advocate, about costs,

Quote:
    You can’t just look at price alone, there needs to be a yield comparison. Some cartridges are larger than others, there is no standard for prints per cartridge size.

I have a mono laser printer (it is a printer only), called the FS-820 Kyocera, it cost me $300.00 to buy, the starter cartridge had a 3000 page printing limit (it took us 3 yrs to replace this cartridge after we were spending $60.00 per fortnight on the inkjet ), the replacement standard/full cartridge does 6000 pages (thats without putting it on draft prints).

our inkjet costs for 4 months:$60 x 2 fortnights, over a period of 4 months = $480.00

laser printer costs: $300.00 initial purchase + 1 cartridge @ $150.00 = $450.00 spread over 3 years.

JohnSheppard
    Up
    cretsiah, post: 51620 wrote:
    Have to agree with IT Advocate, about costs,

I have a mono laser printer (it is a printer only), called the FS-820 Kyocera, it cost me $300.00 to buy, the starter cartridge had a 3000 page printing limit (it took us 3 yrs to replace this cartridge after we were spending $60.00 per fortnight on the inkjet ), the replacement standard/full cartridge does 6000 pages (thats without putting it on draft prints).

our inkjet costs for 4 months:$60 x 2 fortnights, over a period of 4 months = $480.00

laser printer costs: $300.00 initial purchase + 1 cartridge @ $150.00 = $450.00 spread over 3 years.

Kyocera produced some great printers (very cheap to run and good quality) around that era fs1010, fs820, fs720, etc, but a lot of those don’t have windows 7 drivers available or can’t be purchased these days. I have a perfectly good fs-720 with a half used cartridge in it because I upgraded from Vista :( Probably going to toss it in the bin.

Can’t really blame them for not supporting it retrospectively, but it made me pretty grumpy at the time…You don’t see many Kyocera’s in retail outlets anymore?

Anonymous
    Up
    JohnSheppard, post: 51666 wrote:
    Kyocera produced some great printers (very cheap to run and good quality) around that era fs1010, fs820, fs720, etc, but a lot of those don’t have windows 7 drivers available or can’t be purchased these days.

I find this curious !! my wifes laptop with win7 is more than happy to run it!! preferably directly rather than a over network (althought the network thing could be my bumbling :) )

JohnSheppard
    Up
    cretsiah, post: 51670 wrote:
    I find this curious !! my wifes laptop with win7 is more than happy to run it!! preferably directly rather than a over network (althought the network thing could be my bumbling :) )

Hmm maybe the 820 is different, but I guess it pays to check the Kyocera Website before migrating to 7. I just ended up buying a new printer…it’s cheaper than the labour to mess around most the time…

sydneyfx
    • Total posts: 61
    Up

I’ve had a number of different printers over the years however my pick these days is a HP Printer. I’ve currently got a 2600n color laser printer which I’ve been very happy with.

The cartridges are between $100 – $200 depending on who you buy them from but if you don’t do a lot of printing it will be a long time between cartridge purchases. It’s been a very reliable printer and works over a network as well which is handy if you need more than one person printing to it.

mineral
    • Total posts: 67
    Up

These are great for those who have an inkjet:
    http://www.rihac.com.au/ciss-systems-c-26.html

Saves me hundres of dollars a year. (I dont print much as I try to run a paperless office/business with the exception of customer invoices)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.