Home – New Forums Starting your journey Problems with ABN and Customers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    rohan kapadia
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi,
    I have just aterted up an Ecommerce store, and my business is selling custom made computers to people.
    I am 16 years old btw.

I am under the impression that I do not need an ABN and I do not need to register for GST. Is this correct?

Also, people have been telling me that I have to provide a tax invoice on all sales above $75, and if someone asks for one I have to provide one within 28 working days. Is this true? This worries me, because to do a tax invoice you need to provide an ABN, but I dont think I need to register for an ABN! What would I say if someone requests a tax invoice?

Thanks,
    Rohan

Kennethti
    • Total posts: 415
    Up

That information is incorrect. If you are in business you must obtain an ABN.

You should always provide a tax invoice on request.

GST is another matter. You only need to register for GST if your annual revenue exceeds $75,000.

I suggest you speak to an accountant.

rdenton
    • Total posts: 90
    Up

Hi mate,

I’m not an accounting expert but this is my understanding:

• Any business that is selling a service or item for a profit, must be registered with an ABN.
    • You are not required to register for GST unless you earn over a certain amount ($85,000 ?)
    • On the question of invoices – it’s good practise to invoice for each and every sale you make even if it falls under $75.00. I believe a TAX invoice is only required when registered for GST. A regular “invoice” that states “No GST has been charged” is acceptable.

There’s plenty of info online regarding this, and if you have any questions, give the tax office a call.

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up

Not sure if you can still do this, but when I was setting up my business a few years back I was able to arrange a consultation with an ATO representative.

They came to my home and spent an hour or so going over my questions about my business and left me with a bunch of really helpful information, as well as a direct contact number for the rep I spoke to.

Might be worth seeing if this is a service the still offer so you can get the information you need straight from the horse’s mouth, so to speak.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.