Home – New Forums Find the help you need Product and public liability insurance for imported skincare

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Cindy G
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

I just sealed the deal to be sole distributor of a Korean skincare brand but i am having problems getting product and public liability insurance. The item is manufactured in Korea, and i will be importing the product as is to be distributed in Australia. Any recommendation?

alliedib
    • Total posts: 453
    Up

Have you spoken to an insurance broker? I can think of a couple of insurers / underwriters off the top of my head who could be suitable but they all deal through insurance brokers (not direct to the public).

Cindy G
    Up
    alliedib, post: 258635, member: 37857 wrote:
    Have you spoken to an insurance broker? I can think of a couple of insurers / underwriters off the top of my head who could be suitable but they all deal through insurance brokers (not direct to the public).
    Yes. I have had many who says they don’t cover the scope of my business at all. Found a broker for over 30 underwriters and she says only 1 might want to accept me …. might?!! Sigh. Of all the obstacles I’m prepared to encounter this is definitely not one of them. I am hoping to get a second quote for comparison. We have hundreds of imported skincare in this country. Surely more than 1 underwriter provides product liability insurance in this scenario.
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Cindy G, post: 258636, member: 52969 wrote:
    Yes. I have had many who says they don’t cover the scope of my business at all. Found a broker for over 30 underwriters and she says only 1 might want to accept me …. might?!! Sigh. Of all the obstacles I’m prepared to encounter this is definitely not one of them. I am hoping to get a second quote for comparison. We have hundreds of imported skincare in this country. Surely more than 1 underwriter provides product liability insurance in this scenario.

Cindy, Could I suggest trying a broker who gives a lot of good advise on this forum. [USER=37857]@alliedib[/USER] is his ID.

alliedib
    Up
    Cindy G, post: 258636, member: 52969 wrote:

Might? They either do or they don’t. If they have provided you with a firm quotation with no subjectivities (ie no conditions subject to the quotation being valid) that means you can bind cover with them.

As for underwriter numbers, think of it this way:
    – I deal with 120 or so.
    – Approximately half don’t do General Liability cover.
    – A large percentage don’t cover beauty Products.
    Then it comes down to the terms of the underwriters themselves. A number of ‘hard to place’ facilities Have minimum terms – Can you afford a $5,000 minimum premium (which is what a lot of underwriting agencies charge)? A $10m Turnover has no issue with these figures, but for a $100,000 turnover it’s not feasible.
    I am not saying that this is usual but the market is getting harder than it was 12 months ago. Also your mainstream insurers aren’t wanting to cover these items.
    As I said earlier, for the SME market I can think of 3 that may assist – then it would be a matter of properly researching others / alternatives.

Cindy G
    Up
    alliedib, post: 258655, member: 37857 wrote:
    Might? They either do or they don’t. If they have provided you with a firm quotation with no subjectivities (ie no conditions subject to the quotation being valid) that means you can bind cover with them.

– I deal with 120 or so.
    Then it comes down to the terms of the underwriters themselves. A number of ‘hard to place’ facilities Have minimum terms – Can you afford a $5,000 minimum premium (which is what a lot of underwriting agencies charge)? A $10m Turnover has no issue with these figures, but for a $100,000 turnover it’s not feasible.
    I am not saying that this is usual but the market is getting harder than it was 12 months ago. Also your mainstream insurers aren’t wanting to cover these items.
    As I said earlier, for the SME market I can think of 3 that may assist – then it would be a matter of properly researching others / alternatives.

alliedib, post: 258655, member: 37857 wrote:

– I deal with 120 or so.
    Thanks for your response. May I contact you directly for a quote?

alliedib
    Up

Hi Cindy,

By all means you can contact our office if you like – I currently don’t have any openings personally but one of our staff can assist you.

Regards,

Mark

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.