Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Product Photography Advice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Hammock Man
    • Total posts: 19
    Up
    ::

I am looking for advice on product photography. I think hammocks are an interesting product for photography as they really need to be in use to display them i.e. not really a product that can be laid out on a table with a white background.

At the moment I am using supplier photos which are low res and don’t fully do the product justice. The hammocks actually look much better in real life or in photos taken with a high res camera.

I am looking for advice as to how best to display the hammocks for photography and whether I should shoot them outdoors with landscape backgrounds or indoors etc. Also I think they would look great in a rustic room with wooden beams to complement them but how do I find such a place and organise to shoot hammocks there.

I am on a tight budget and I imagine that a good pro photographer would be very expensive.

Here is the difference between the old photos http://westcoasthammocks.com.au/product/super-jumbo-wave/ and the photos with a high res camera attached.

BenAtherton
    • Total posts: 60
    Up

Hi Hammock Man,

I actually built an online store for someone who was selling camping gear and had the same issue as yourself, i.e. low res images from suppliers.

In this industry it is a good idea to have your products displayed in use/outdoors. You could look at shooting in a quiet park or on a beach? Just make sure there are no passers by in the shot.

Also you could consider approaching a venue such as a bed and breakfast or camping ground and use their facilities as a backdrop, those more historical locations might be good for rustic shots.

dont forget to have close-up shots of the components, i.e. fabric/threads, knots, seams, hanging fittings, etc. People like to see a product in as much detail as possible when buying online.

Wouldnt hurt to have a shot of someone using the product also, perhaps a friend or family member.

Just a few ideas anyway…

If taking the photos yourself, consider having a professional touch-up the images to correct the colour, lighting, sharpness, size and so on.

Hammock Man
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

Some great ideas and suggestions there – especially having multiple detailed shots.

Cheers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.