Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Project Blog

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    HammockFG
    • Total posts: 136
    Up
    ::

Hi guys,

My christmas holidays will consist of finally focusing on some much needed marketing for our business. One of the things I wanted to get started on was a blog, and I wanted to get some feedback on a couple of things I was considering.

Some background first: we are a financial planning company targeting the 30-40 age bracket. We are brand new and don’t have a very big or active client base (yet). I am also a fulltime employee and am establishing this business with my husband on the side, which leaves me very time poor (and generally exhausted!) Plus our marketing budget is so limited right now, it’s not even funny!

Basically, I see the blog as not being only to generate new business, but also to help engage and communicate with existing customers.

Q1: So first things first – naming a blog. Do you think it is better to have a simple ‘Hammock Financial Group blog’ or have something a little wackier and more descriptive? Like ‘Financial Musings’, ‘Better Money Blog’ etc. btw – I just had a brain freeze trying to think of a suitable wacky name and fear I have failed abysmally…..so any inspiration and help there too would be enormously appreciated!

Q2: Should a blog be a part of the website or separate? I once read something years ago that a blog shouldn’t be too closely related to the website, and should sort of be a thing on its own, although obviously links too and from site and blog are okay. What do you think about that? Load of crap? Has some credence??

Q3: If I wanted to diversify and have a separate blog for different target groups (something I am still considering), is it okay that I won’t be able to blog as frequently on each blog? Or is it better to have a semi-targeted blog with more frequent updates?

Realistically, I won’t be able to blog more than twice a week, and if I had to target things down to specific groups, finding the right content could become more like a fortnight between posts, which I presume is very bad and pointless?? I just don’t have the time to ‘think and write’ too much more. Plus given our industry, I have to get everything I blog approved by our dealer group, which could take about 7 days per post, so my posts need to be well thought out and less spur of the minute… Thoughts?

Q4: Should our logo be popping up on the blog design or should I just keep it out of there?

Argh it’s good to get all those thoughts out of my head! Now I will just step back and wait to see what wise words my flying solo buddies have for me!!

xx

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

Hi Megan,

Firstly, I think it is important to put the idea of a blog as a lead generator on the back burner. I am sure lots will disagree with me, but with a small client base, and an industry that is saturated with blogs, it will take time.

First things first is to work out how to create the blog while enjoying blogging. If there is some way you can start posting about generalist items, that don’t need approval, this would help you.

Secondly, perhaps you can get your affiliates to blog for you, you have a double benefit – they can tell their clients about their posts and get more viewers to your blog. Solicitors, accountants, real estate etc. can all add great value to your financial blog, without the need for the approval process.

If you do the blog, you have to commit to it. As hard as it is, plan it in your day. Allocate 30 mins twice a week to researching and writing an article. And if you can get others posting for you, it will reduce the amount of time you need to spend on it.

I hope this helps a little. I am certainly no blog expert at all (my first blog dive bombed exactly because of the reasons I am suggesting above)

Best of luck and I’m sure you’ll get heaps of more experienced bloggers advice shortly

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

Hi Megan,

Firstly, I think it is important to put the idea of a blog as a lead generator on the back burner. I am sure lots will disagree with me, but with a small client base, and an industry that is saturated with blogs, it will take time.

First things first is to work out how to create the blog while enjoying blogging. If there is some way you can start posting about generalist items, that don’t need approval, this would help you.

Secondly, perhaps you can get your affiliates to blog for you, you have a double benefit – they can tell their clients about their posts and get more viewers to your blog. Solicitors, accountants, real estate etc. can all add great value to your financial blog, without the need for the approval process.

If you do the blog, you have to commit to it. As hard as it is, plan it in your day. Allocate 30 mins twice a week to researching and writing an article. And if you can get others posting for you, it will reduce the amount of time you need to spend on it.

I hope this helps a little. I am certainly no blog expert at all (my first blog dive bombed exactly because of the reasons I am suggesting above)

Best of luck and I’m sure you’ll get heaps of more experienced bloggers advice shortly

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

Have you read this active thread on blogs?
    http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/search-engines-etc/17193-starting-blog-help-please-2.html#post99955

Always worth searching the forums before posting questions ;)

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/search-engines-etc/17193-starting-blog-help-please-2.html#post99955

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

My advice would be to start a blog calendar. Once you decide how often you’re going to blog (weekly, fortnightly, monthly) start brainstorming subjects. Set them into your calendar and match them to relevant times of the year. You wouldn’t put anything concerning Easter into a blog in November for instance lol. You can always replace a planned subject with something current if needed, like changes to legislation affecting blahblah etc, and moved the planned subject to a later blog.

Then you can start researching content. The advantages to having a blog calendar are that when you stumble across ideas for content you can note them down under the appropriate blog for writing closer to their publishing, and you can have blogs ready in advance instead of cramming at the last minute.

Wendy :)

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

My advice would be to start a blog calendar. Once you decide how often you’re going to blog (weekly, fortnightly, monthly) start brainstorming subjects. Set them into your calendar and match them to relevant times of the year. You wouldn’t put anything concerning Easter into a blog in November for instance lol. You can always replace a planned subject with something current if needed, like changes to legislation affecting blahblah etc, and moved the planned subject to a later blog.

Then you can start researching content. The advantages to having a blog calendar are that when you stumble across ideas for content you can note them down under the appropriate blog for writing closer to their publishing, and you can have blogs ready in advance instead of cramming at the last minute.

Wendy :)

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

most bloggers think that THEY have to author content. there is a concept called guest blogging and even ghost blogging.

leverage other people’s time and energy and position yourself as a go to unbiased source.

The biggest content and most popular sites blogs (Apart from pro blogger) collate other people’s work. think like a magazine, newspaper, industry journal.

start with a strategy. what do you want your blog to achieve? branding or getting leads/clients are not strategies. they are objectives.

Study the graveyard of blogs out there and you will notice that all of them are just blatant self promotion weakly disguised as content.

IF you are serious about blogging, sign up to yaro starak’s blog and invest in his product.

if you are open to video blogging, check out gideon shalwick’s rapid video blogging course.

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

most bloggers think that THEY have to author content. there is a concept called guest blogging and even ghost blogging.

leverage other people’s time and energy and position yourself as a go to unbiased source.

The biggest content and most popular sites blogs (Apart from pro blogger) collate other people’s work. think like a magazine, newspaper, industry journal.

start with a strategy. what do you want your blog to achieve? branding or getting leads/clients are not strategies. they are objectives.

Study the graveyard of blogs out there and you will notice that all of them are just blatant self promotion weakly disguised as content.

IF you are serious about blogging, sign up to yaro starak’s blog and invest in his product.

if you are open to video blogging, check out gideon shalwick’s rapid video blogging course.

Sandy Naidu
    • Total posts: 116
    Up

Your blog has to be a part of your main website – This way you have more content associalted with your site – Fantastic for your site’s rankings…

So your blog address should be http://www.CompanyName.com/blog. Put the logo there – because its uour company’s blog and so necessary for branding…

Blog is where you are sharing free information with your readers/clients – So the best thing is to be associated with it – Why make it a separate entity to your company…

For different people, no need to set up different bogs, just set up different Categories…

Sandy Naidu
    • Total posts: 116
    Up

Your blog has to be a part of your main website – This way you have more content associalted with your site – Fantastic for your site’s rankings…

So your blog address should be http://www.CompanyName.com/blog. Put the logo there – because its uour company’s blog and so necessary for branding…

Blog is where you are sharing free information with your readers/clients – So the best thing is to be associated with it – Why make it a separate entity to your company…

For different people, no need to set up different bogs, just set up different Categories…

SamanthaE
    • Total posts: 235
    Up

The best advice that I was given was that if you are in the writing mode, try and write as many articles/posts as possible at the one time. Even if they are just a rough copy, you can always come and edit them when you want to upload.

This way you don’t feel stressed about it every week.

Also, I don’t think that you have to post every week – I think once every 2 weeks is good. Remember, you can also link to current news articles on your industry – it does not always have to be “your” words.

One article every 2 weeks forms a really great basis for a bi-monthly newsletter.

The purpose for your blog is to create authority, which does take time. It is only once that authority is built that you can even start thinking about getting new clients from it :)

SamanthaE
    • Total posts: 235
    Up

The best advice that I was given was that if you are in the writing mode, try and write as many articles/posts as possible at the one time. Even if they are just a rough copy, you can always come and edit them when you want to upload.

This way you don’t feel stressed about it every week.

Also, I don’t think that you have to post every week – I think once every 2 weeks is good. Remember, you can also link to current news articles on your industry – it does not always have to be “your” words.

One article every 2 weeks forms a really great basis for a bi-monthly newsletter.

The purpose for your blog is to create authority, which does take time. It is only once that authority is built that you can even start thinking about getting new clients from it :)

HammockFG
    Up
    King, post: 99956 wrote:

Thanks King, I actually have done a search and read this and other posts re: blogs already. I really don’t give two hoots about my google ranking – it’s not really why I want to blog and so I didn’t find that this or a lot of the other posts I read answered my questions.

HammockFG
    Up
    King, post: 99956 wrote:

Thanks King, I actually have done a search and read this and other posts re: blogs already. I really don’t give two hoots about my google ranking – it’s not really why I want to blog and so I didn’t find that this or a lot of the other posts I read answered my questions.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.