Home – New Forums Tech talk Prolonged Host issues

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Jakimac
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

H
    Unfortunately, we are having email hosting issues.
    Everything was working swimmingly for 7 months, until we asked to publish a website to our already purchased domain. I had checked upon sign up and was assured this was okay.
    The domain host has been extremely difficult, taking weeks to give us the ip info we needed to publish, and is now messing with our emails.
    Last week we couldn’t send any, this week we can receive internal but not external mail.
    This fellow is small business owner I know, as he is on flying solo, which is why I chose him, give the little blokes a go.. But he won’t respond to tickets logged, emails, phone calls.
    What do I do?
    Is it possible to phone another provider and have it all transferred to someone else? Or will me emails remain a problem?
    Please help.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

In theory, if you own the domain, none of what you mentioned should be a problem.

A domain needs what’s known as DNS (domain name server), it basically broadcasts to the web where your domain is located. You can even change your DNS to another provider … assuming you can unlock it from where it is currently.

On the server is a set of “records” that expose the ip address of where your site is hosted (if you have one), and a different set of records to expose the email addresses linked to that domain.

As long as you have access to the DNS, you can change the ip address of a site (if you want to change hosting), and also set up email (they don’t need to be with the same provider).

Do your current providers have their own physical servers, or are they reselling from a bigger player … if the latter is the case, maybe they don’t have access to what they need to fix it. Being hard to find wont resolve much … hope you can sort it.

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    Jakimac, post: 182395 wrote:
    H
    Unfortunately, we are having email hosting issues.
    Everything was working swimmingly for 7 months, until we asked to publish a website to our already purchased domain. I had checked upon sign up and was assured this was okay.
    The domain host has been extremely difficult, taking weeks to give us the ip info we needed to publish, and is now messing with our emails.
    Last week we couldn’t send any, this week we can receive internal but not external mail.
    This fellow is small business owner I know, as he is on flying solo, which is why I chose him, give the little blokes a go.. But he won’t respond to tickets logged, emails, phone calls.
    What do I do?
    Is it possible to phone another provider and have it all transferred to someone else? Or will me emails remain a problem?
    Please help.

What a pain!

I’d suggest you email [email protected]. He is very responsive hosting services provider, and has helped out several of my clients who found themselves in a very bad state (like you are).

Tell him Jenny Spring sent you ….

Good Luck.
    jenny

Brent@Ontrax
    • Total posts: 336
    Up

Hi Jakimac,

Welcome to the FS Forum.

Changing Hosting companies is very easy, as basically everything is done via pointers. Your current host should have given you access to your system via something like cPanel. If you have this then you can access your emails, website and other settings, like DNS settings (which will show your IP address)

It is very poor business and just down right rude to ignore customers, especially at their time in need, sometimes just spending 30 minutes to look into the problem can resolve it all and off you go happily.

You don’t have to have everything with 1 one hosting company, but most people do cause it is just easier, but if the current host isn’t helping you and your having issues then it’s time to move on. Assuming that you own the domain, do you have the domain password? with this password you can transfer the domain name and it’s name server pointers to another hosting company and then take out another website/email host somewhere else, then just change the name servers to point to the new hosting service.

Recently had to do it for a few clients and I’m in the process of doing it for 1 of my own domains, 1 down 2 to go. Happy to lend a hand if it’s all above your head, just sing out.

Brent

David
    Participant
    • Total posts: 40
    Up
    Jakimac, post: 182395 wrote:
    H
    What do I do?
    Please help.

If you are comfortable to do it yourself you could simply join a new host online … IX Hosting may suit… (US$3.95 /month plan includes 1 free domain registration)

[Moderator: Affiliate link removed] http://www.ixwebhosting.com

and then
    – upload your site files to the new host and test,
    – then point your current domain to the new host (done online via your domain registration provider) or transfer your domain to IX (done online via IX).

Doing it yourself does require a little (depends on site/email complexity) setup in the hosting panel or if you prefer there are lots of people out there that could help.

David

bizpep.com applications deliver unique business and investment insight providing solutions for 1000's of clients world-wide
    TehCamel
    • Total posts: 873
    Up
    Bizpep, post: 182463 wrote:
    If you are comfortable to do it yourself you could simply join a new host online … IX Hosting may suit… (US$3.95 /month plan includes 1 free domain registration)

[Moderator: Link removed]

David

David – for the record, I think it’s only fair that you announce that’s an affiliate link and you stand to make a small commission from it. Given the fact that you haven’t given any other options, I question whether you actually have the OP’s best interests at heart.

Personally, I’d be a bit more inclined to discuss with the person exactly what their needs and requirements are. Do you really want to be paying $4.00 a month to host your business email ?
    I had a client last year who had their emails with a crazy provider. It was roughly equivalent to IXWeb hosting’s cost you refer to above. However – when your email is offline for a week, and you’re rapidly losing revenue, surely it’s worth considering whether that bargain basement hosting is the best option for your critical business service.
    we moved their email to Office365 and it’s been rock solid. sure, it costs them more, but over 12 months, it’s still going to cost them less than they estimate they lost in revenue over that week.

for instance, if you’re a builder, would you buy a hilux to carry around your tools and material, or would you buy one of those little red children’s trailers to drag around behind you?

David
    Participant
    • Total posts: 40
    Up
    TehCamel, post: 182594 wrote:
    Given the fact that you haven’t given any other options, I question whether you actually have the OP’s best interests at heart.

Personally, I’d be a bit more inclined to discuss with the person exactly what their needs and requirements are. Do you really want to be paying $4.00 a month to host your business email ?

I have been using IX for many years (after trying others), run several online services ( http://www.bizpep.com ) and am very happy with the reliability (this is the reason I recommend them).

TehCamel, post: 182594 wrote:
    Do you really want to be paying $4.00 a month to host your business email ?

If the service delivers what is required then yes. But it all depends on how comfortable you are with the internet and the level of support in set up etc required. As evidence by this thread (and others) paying good money for a service is not necessarily an indicator of service quality.

From what I have seen there are suppliers / onsellers that add little value to the service they provide and in many cases simply add another cost level and risk.

My intention is simply to increase awareness of possible options … not to suggest that any particular service is ideal for specific circumstances … as mentioned that obviously requires a strong understanding of the individual business and operator (possibly more than can be gained from this forum).

Knowledge is power … how it is used is an individual choice .. but an informed decision is usually preferable to an uninformed one… (well at least in my view). Hopefully some of this information will contribute to the decision process.

David

bizpep.com applications deliver unique business and investment insight providing solutions for 1000's of clients world-wide
    TehCamel
    Up
    Bizpep, post: 182637 wrote:
    I have been using IX for many years (after trying others), run several online services ( http://www.bizpep.com ) and am very happy with the reliability (this is the reason I recommend them).

I’m not saying don’t recommend them. I never specifically said that. I said you should have informed the OP that you stand to make a commission if he goes ahead using your link.

DavidM
    • Total posts: 329
    Up

I always feel more comfortable recommending that clients host their website with a normal hosting company, and then have your email hosted via Google apps ($5 p/m). As Google basically never goes down.

Most hosts go down from time to time. A 99% uptime guarantee still equates to over 1.5 hours of downtime each week, excluding routine maintenance.

David

TehCamel
    Up
    DavidM, post: 182670 wrote:
    I always feel more comfortable recommending that clients host their website with a normal hosting company, and then have your email hosted via Google apps ($5 p/m). As Google basically never goes down.

Most hosts go down from time to time. A 99% uptime guarantee still equates to over 1.5 hours of downtime each week, excluding routine maintenance.

David

and many of them exclude email from their service guarantee. I know at least 2 providers that definitely do this (because I’ve had arguments with them before)

Gordon Anderson
    Participant
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

Very interesting thread – youd think there would be a product I could just pay 30/month and get the basics of email and web hosting and crm, suitable for small biz.

I just moved one of my clients sites away from a cheap host where they were getting hijacked and marked by google as malware, rgggh.

I removed all the dodgy stuff, then set the cleaned sites up on a single linode costing 20/month. The nice thing is we can set up proper permissions, ssh/scp, logging, firewall etc.

Anyway, as part of this I set up the email server – this took a couple days of technical voodoo, to install postfix, dovecot. You also need dkim and spf so outbound emails are signed properly [ and thus appear as proper legit messages and not spam. ]

Most businesses need this off the shelf, but there isn’t that much out there apart from google business email offering.

Ideally youd get a monthly package with :
    > CMS to edit your web content
    > company email addresses : imap + webmail
    > basic CRM to manage contacts, mail list, forms

Ideally powered by open source under the hood ..
    maybe drupal + sugarcrm + postfix + apache ?

I’m seriously thinking of putting together a product like this. Judging by the comments, a lot of people would be ok to pay that … particularly if it can be set up quick with zero hassle [ no config files !! ]

Let me know if this is something you’d use … would be nice to solve this.

Adam Hodgson
    • Total posts: 47
    Up

We have hundreds of sites on GoDaddy . They are reliable with hosting and email. Do a google search and you will find them and the instructions to switch.

Greg_M
    Up
    Adam Hodgson, post: 183304 wrote:
    We have hundreds of sites on GoDaddy . They are reliable with hosting and email. Do a google search and you will find them and the instructions to switch.

Glad that’s been your experience.

I’ve not long finished shifting sites from there after continuos hassles with everything from DNS (sites going down, and slow), through to inability to access the admin and account panel.

I think you finish up getting what you pay for …

Greg_M
    Up
    Gordon Anderson, post: 183218 wrote:
    Very interesting thread – youd think there would be a product I could just pay 30/month and get the basics of email and web hosting and crm, suitable for small biz.

I just moved one of my clients sites away from a cheap host where they were getting hijacked and marked by google as malware, rgggh.

I removed all the dodgy stuff, then set the cleaned sites up on a single linode costing 20/month. The nice thing is we can set up proper permissions, ssh/scp, logging, firewall etc.

Anyway, as part of this I set up the email server – this took a couple days of technical voodoo, to install postfix, dovecot. You also need dkim and spf so outbound emails are signed properly [ and thus appear as proper legit messages and not spam. ]

Most businesses need this off the shelf, but there isn’t that much out there apart from google business email offering.

Ideally youd get a monthly package with :
    > CMS to edit your web content
    > company email addresses : imap + webmail
    > basic CRM to manage contacts, mail list, forms

Ideally powered by open source under the hood ..
    maybe drupal + sugarcrm + postfix + apache ?

I’m seriously thinking of putting together a product like this. Judging by the comments, a lot of people would be ok to pay that … particularly if it can be set up quick with zero hassle [ no config files !! ]

Let me know if this is something you’d use … would be nice to solve this.

I think your basic concept is fine.

In fact I had a VPS at Linode for client sites, after similar experiences with shared hosting, especially at Godaddy.

Linode is a great service, but I think the issue is economy of scale if your using it for clients.

Fabulous if you have a successful app or site, but I found the maintenance of having my own server (and paranoia about client sites) got to me … too much time I couldn’t charge enough for … guess if your system admin skills are good (mine are pretty B grade), it may not be such an issue.

I finished up transferring all sites to Squarespace, enterprise Java on the backend, grid hosted … then returned them all to their owners … 2 years plus, no maintenance, no hacks no upgrades (I still edit code on them if required).

Email is another story though, it’s a pain. Have seriously considered going back to a VPS just to sort this out.

If anyone suggests Google apps …been here done that (call it big data paranoia), Godaddy worked for a while, but like everything else they left me standing knee deep in it eventually. All the ones that are bullet proof (relatively) are not cheap.

On the subject of VPS’s, @Netorigin on this forum does pretty handy VPS packages on Australian servers, actually cheaper than Linode for similar specs, with the bonus of being in $AU … Linode is now over $20 in real time.

Hope you get some takers, might be interested in a couple of email addresses.

Cheers

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.