Home – New Forums Starting your journey Promotion Challenges

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Carole
    • Total posts: 67
    Up
    ::

I have been going around to different Primary Schools asking for my business card to be placed in newsletters. I was astounded at the extreme cautiousness of one Principal who was not prepared to risk putting my information in her school newsletter for fear that she would be perceived to be endorsing my service. I am a qualified and experienced Parent Educator which means I can run parenting courses. I prefer to help parents individually or as a couple from home. I am a mother of 4 grown children and an experienced and qualified Primary Teacher, Childcare Worker and Nanny. The principal asked many questions, which is fair enough, but is she perhaps being too careful? I frankly found it quite insulting to be denied a place in this newsletter. She wasn’t particularly impressed that I did my teacher training way back in the dark ages either ( 1976)!
    What do you think?

BrightSpark
    • Total posts: 131
    Up

You win some you loose some, that’s life. There is no point in getting upset just because of someone’s shortsightedness. If you really want to be promoted in that school you could always look at the P&C or the like.

However to help with the next time something like this comes up you could start with these questions.
    Did you offer to pay for an ad in the newsletter?
    Maybe sponsor a class project.
    Are there any ads in the newsletter currently?
    What was in it for her?
    Did you explain the benefits to parents?
    I know of some schools that have a set of businesses ads for the whole year and no one can be added until the new year. They print the whole years supply of that page (The back page) at once.

You have to remember that most people in the education system have never been out of the system.

Back in the dark ages we provided a computer and internet access to schools in exchange for a ad in each newsletter that went out to the parents.

TSH-SR
    • Total posts: 45
    Up

Hi Carole,
    Can see your dilemma, but think you might be expecting a little much, I sell security doors, will the Principal put my card in the newsletter to protect the children in their homes? What about all the other businesses that have a relevant service as well. The newsletter could be inundated.

I have advertised in a few school newsletters at schools that my children have attended or my wife (a chalky as well) has worked at. Strangely I have never had a great response from the newsletters, but referral lines within school communities (staff and parents) have been terrific over the years. Generally these have initially come from a contact outside the school.

Given that your service is aimed at parents, try contacting the P&C (PT&F) and do a presentation to them, or ask if they will consider distributing your information, this is then targetted directly where you want it as well, but by-passes the school officers/department.

In this day and age unfortunately there is a lot of prejudice against training done some years ago, this does not mean that it is outdated, and my guess is that you have spent numerous hours over the years keeping up to date and refreshing your skills.
    Remember that some principals are where they are not because they are good managers or communicators. You cannot win everyone over in business.

Good luck with it all, just look around for another way to end up at the same place you want to be.

Regards Tony

MissieK
    • Total posts: 234
    Up

Some principals & schools have strict guidelines about what they will and won’t include in a newsletter. As a parent, I know the difference between the ads & the school information…

IMO, forget that school & move on to another one.

Also, there are some schools that won’t include an insert, however they will include an ad as part of the newsletter instead.

Melissa

LeelaCosgrove
    • Total posts: 634
    Up

If I may drill down even further – why a business card?

I understand the hesitation … if you came to me and said Leela … I want to send a business card out to your database, I would be like … okay – who are you? Because if I send something to my database, they will assume that I’m promoting it and what happens then if you run off with their money or worse – you coach someone and they go nuts and kill their kids (I know that wouldn’t happen Carole – but they don’t!) – I’ll get sued for recommending you in the first place … and secondly – what’s in it for me? Because if there’s all this stuff that could possibly go wrong, there has to be a pay off … and right now you’re not offering me any kind of pay off.

Basically, you’ve made it harder to say YES than to say NO. (this is a mistake SO many business people make!)

Now, on the other hand … if you offered to do a 2 hour seminar on how to be a better parent and then invited people at the end to speak with you further about personal coaching you cover all the bases:

1. You add value to the school – particularly if you were to charge an entry fee (say $5) and donate all proceeds to the school.

2. The parents get to see you in person – personally, I don’t go to coaches of any kind based on business cards, flyers or adverts. It’s always from metting them at events or personal referrals.

3. The school actually gets to see what you’re about (you could even offer to do the presentation just for the principal / teachers to begin with so they know the content before you get up).

You’re not going to get 100% take up on this, of course – you can’t sell everyone, it’s just not possible but all you need is one school that you can build a reputation with … and then use them as testimonials or ASK them to go and speak with other schools they know and recommend you.

I agree with Melissa though, I wouldn’t bother again with that particular school. Chalk it up to experience and move on.

Carole
    • Total posts: 67
    Up

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful and helpful suggestions.
    I did offer to pay for the privilege (info in newsletter) and I did have a letter accompanying the card. The principal was busy when I went to the school.
    I would love to be able to give a seminar, but I presently don’t have the confidence. Hopefully in the future I will have the self-assurance to do this. This is one of the reasons that I decided to do individual/couple counselling rather than run courses with about 10-15 people. My confidence has increased substantially already since starting my business last year.

kevinlewis
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    TSH-ISS, post: 4155 wrote:
    Hi Carole,
    Can see your dilemma, but think you might be expecting a little much, I sell security doors, will the Principal put my card in the newsletter to protect the children in their homes? What about all the other businesses that have a relevant service as well. The newsletter could be inundated.

I have advertised in a few school newsletters at schools that my children have attended or my wife (a chalky as well) has worked at. Strangely I have never had a great response from the newsletters, but referral lines within school communities (staff and parents) have been terrific over the years. Generally these have initially come from a contact outside the school.

Given that your service is aimed at parents, try contacting the P&C (PT&F) and do a presentation to them, or ask if they will consider distributing your information, this is then targetted directly where you want it as well, but by-passes the school officers/department.

In this day and age unfortunately there is a lot of prejudice against training done some years ago, this does not mean that it is outdated, and my guess is that you have spent numerous hours over the years keeping up to date and refreshing your skills.
    Remember that some principals are where they are not because they are good managers or communicators. You cannot win everyone over in business.

Good luck with it all, just look around for another way to end up at the same place you want to be.

Regards Tony

I agree with the above mentioned post.

Wellness at Work and Home helps you to work efficiently.

@HeatherSmithAU
    • Total posts: 525
    Up

Our school has a standard policy for advertising in the school newsletter & you pay for the priviledge.

I do to support my kids school.

I have never got much business from it.

mexham
    • Total posts: 302
    Up

I think the sponsored school newsletters are a great way to provide some extra income for a school, but am not sure how well they stack up in return. I’ve been called up a few times asking if I will sponsor or want to advertise in a school newsletter and felt they were very expensive. I got cold called one time also by a company that actually works for the school printing their newsletters and selling advertising space on them.

Sometimes a more effective way is donating something to the school, (time/product) in return for some exposure, school gala raffles, prize draws. I’ve given away hammocks to school productions on occasion for props and just asked for a simple mention in the credits.

• Total posts: 151
    Up

Hello Carole

It does seem unfair, but it is their newsletter/school, and they are responsible for any decisions made regarding it. You should continue to approach other schools using the excellent suggestions here of seminars etc. I do find it odd that a trained and experienced teacher finds it hard to present a seminar to small groups and maybe that principal felt you lacked confidence when you approached them.

As a business coach, i would question the return from your efforts, when putting a few business cards on a counter.

What was your expected response rate from the business cards? You are better off developing an excellent word-of-mouth referral network through parents rather than dropping a few business cards off.

Do some research into more effective advertising methods so you get more responses for your money spent and make use of your time more efficiently.

quinn12
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

I have been through your post and i think that principal is following his school’s guidelines and rules strictly. Don’t bother about that and try for some other. You would get it published in some other newsletter better than this. Good luck.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.