Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Promotional Launch didn’t work :-(

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up
    ::

Yes, that’s what their long weekend was about – I just hadn’t realised as I knew it was on Thursday last week.

I had intended to make this all happen in October but unfortunately some life matters took over and made that impossible and so I set 1st Dec for it because I didn’t want to make it wait any longer.

But it has given me some insight into timing of these things and I’ve had some great suggestions given to me on this and a couple of other forums so I’ll have quite a checklist to work with when planning my next one.

peppie
    • Total posts: 525
    Up

kathiemt

I hate to say it, but I think you have to be realistic. Very few people are going to help you to be successful in business just because you ask them to help you get there. The reality is that the vast majority are flat out coping with their own Path to Success.

Now I don’t mean to sound mean and down putting of others, particularly of those you need the help from, but thems the facts. I find the only way that works is a suitable amount of reminder, cajoling and deliberate prompt just short of making yourself unwelcome. I do deliberately treat others in business with great respect and courtesy, but that is often not enough to get the job done that you need to get done. Even incentives don,t often work.

I know its not the same thing, but it kind of reminds me of trying to get co-operation from my children (shock).

kathiemt
    Up

Thanks Paul. The previous launch I did in exactly the same fashion and it worked very well and that book got high up in the Top 100 of Hot New Releases. But the timing was in June. I was intending this one to happen in October before the Christmas buildup but there were other things working against me.

I have learnt a few things though that will help me improve how I do this. It’s actually quite a popular way to promote books in the US and amongst authors at Amazon so it was worth doing it.

peppie
    Up

I’m not wishing to sound negative, but promotion in my area of business is something that you have to do for yourself to get the best out of it.

Not being a book publisher though (and I am told that can be a good promotional tool for any solo flyer) I have to admit I don’t fully understand the tricks of book promotion. Here is a site I had recommended to me though as applicable even to the task of promoting special interest videos http://parapub.com/sites/para/

There is a lot of good advice here for anyone doing the same basic sort of product line.

kathiemt
    Up

Thanks Paul. I’ve got his book and read it. Dan Poynter has excellent stuff about self-publishing. It is one of those books you need to keep revisiting and taking notes from.

The Amazon book launch is only one of the many things I’ve been doing. I currently have a major bookstore chain reviewing my latest book – the previous one is in 3 major book chains and smaller stores as well.

I have a women’s magazine reviewing the book at the moment, ABC National radio and also another radio station.

So I haven’t lacked in getting things done for promotion. I just thought sharing here what happened might help others and also others might make suggestions of things I hadn’t thought of. It’s been a worthwhile discussion.

pmzmarketing
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

I agree with Michael from BrightSpark. Getting all the copy templates ready for there use would help and sending those reminders too!

Patrick

kathiemt
    Up
    pmzmarketing, post: 458 wrote:
    I agree with Michael from BrightSpark. Getting all the copy templates ready for there use would help and sending those reminders too!

Patrick

Yes, that is definitely something extra I need to make sure I do for the next time. I’m going to have quite a check sheet for this process. Thank you everyone.

peppie
    Up

And then maybe you can write another book about how to promote a book, he he.

kathiemt
    Up
    peppie, post: 463 wrote:
    And then maybe you can write another book about how to promote a book, he he.

Good one Paul and who knows? I might ;-)

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

If people ‘forgot’ then maybe there was not enough in it for them.

I can guarantee I would never forget if the offer was important to my business.

kathiemt
    Up

This was a blast from the past Matthew! The launch was 7 years ago :-)

getcontented.com.au
    • Total posts: 136
    Up
    kathiemt, post: 221922, member: 66 wrote:
    This was a blast from the past Matthew! The launch was 7 years ago :)

Hi Kathie, I wonder if you’d be able to provide a bit of a recap of how this went for you after this time… as in… how did the things you learnt from this help in the future, what worked, what didn’t, as time passed. Very interested!

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.