Home – New Forums Tech talk Protecting document content

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    MarketingHat
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

My name is Marian and I operate a solo marketing/coaching business. I work with other small biz and solo operators guiding and coaching them to market their own businesses.

I have a query on behalf of one of my clients that I can’t answer.

When providing free resources via a website, we want people to use/share, but not copy/paste – losing credit for the work and branding value for business. From what I know of pdf’s – most can be hacked but is there a higher level of security to prevent this from happening? Most of us just use the free pdf converter on our printers.

Thanks in advance.
    Marian

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

You can secure a PDF to prohibit editing, copying, pasting, printing, etc… But at the end of the day, if someone can read it, listen to it, or watch it, they can copy it.

If someone wanted to, they could simply retype it, or they could take a screenshot and use character recognition text to recreate it as a text document in a few seconds and there’s no way to prevent that.

I’d recommend using a secured PDF, but think of it as a lock on a door – it’s only going to stop an opportunist.

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Marian,

Thanks for joining us aboard the forums! And a great question. Bluepenguin has it right…

But at the end of the day, if someone can read it, listen to it, or watch it, they can copy it.

Here’s what I would add – the people in your client’s industry who are likely to share the content in a way that’s valuable to your client (i.e. reputable people or companies with an audience who trusts them), are likely to share it in the correct way and send valuable links, traffic, and brand-awareness.

Those who plagiarise are not the reputable sources you need recommendations from.

Good luck!

Dave

Chris H
    • Total posts: 111
    Up
    M.Hat, post: 189358 wrote:
    Hi all,

My name is Marian and I operate a solo marketing/coaching business. I work with other small biz and solo operators guiding and coaching them to market their own businesses.

I have a query on behalf of one of my clients that I can’t answer.

When providing free resources via a website, we want people to use/share, but not copy/paste – losing credit for the work and branding value for business. From what I know of pdf’s – most can be hacked but is there a higher level of security to prevent this from happening? Most of us just use the free pdf converter on our printers.

Thanks in advance.
    Marian

Hi Marian,

The best bet would be to place a copyright on each page with the note that the work was not to be reproduced in part or whole without the written consent of your customer.

I have seen secured PDF’s but everything can be defeated given time and the right tools. You could look into technologies that allow your work to be viewed on a webpage but not downloaded, but then you scare off more customers than plagiarisers.

Cheers,

Chris

MarketingHat
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

Thank you all for your feedback and advice. Bluepenguin is right – if someone really wants to plagiarise – they will – and Dave, you’re correct that the people we want to share will do the right thing.

Another friend suggested converting to jpg or password protecting edit on pdf. I hadnt realized you could do this – so if someone tries to copy or edit, it asks for a password, which of course the user wont have. Do you think this will just annoy people?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.