Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Proud of my new animation :-)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    nominal
    • Total posts: 504
    Up
    ::

Just wanted to share my new website video released today.

http://www.nominal.com.au

The original intention was to put a video which tries to convey the story behind Nominal, but it kind of took a little shift.

Still not sure if the homepage is the best place for this, but will see what feedback I get.

Thanks for your help,
    Uri

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

Proud? and so you should be Uri !! I loved it.

I don’t know if it should be on the homepage, I don’t know if it’s too long, I don’t know if it’s good quality…I just know that I watched it until the end and that was when I realised I was moving to the music and smiling :)

Congratulations !! This needs to go into the “Yay” thread

Wendy

NigelBurke
    • Total posts: 37
    Up

Great quality, did you do it yourself? what tools did you use?

nominal
    Up
    nigelburke, post: 74807 wrote:
    Great quality, did you do it yourself? what tools did you use?

The best drawing I know is how to do an elephant which I learned on YouTube, my daughters love it that all that matters….

ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up

great animation and story.

I agree it shouldn’t be on the home page – actually I don’t know where I’d put it??

How difficult is it to flip the story around – about someone tying to use all of these complicated expensive products – and then finding nominal – which turns his/her life to bliss?
    Sales messages should be about your customer – not about you.

I go to your website (and in the words of the great Seth Godin) I’m interested in “ME ME ME ME ME ME!”

I’d be interested in what software you used to make it as well.

Jay-T
    • Total posts: 119
    Up

I liked it…

I think it needs to be on the homepage, the story gets across a very important message which is that the software is different to it’s comparables…and it’s vital to get this across as quickly (homepage) and efficiently/engaging (story + entertaining) way as possible.

Your most important message needs to hit the visitor/prospect first before the logo and call to action because as you know you’ve got seconds to “hook” them.

Great work!

Here’s the next step if you want to turn it up a notch:

Talk to your clients or prospective clients and find out what is frustrating them about their current software OR what is stopping them from choosing a software package and find out why <-- this part is is very important...try to dig a few levels deep for example: – I don’t like my current accounting software because it’s “complicated”?
    what specifically is complicated about it?
    what kind of problems is that creating?
    how is that affecting your situation/business/life?

The problem with “complicated” is that it’s too obscure and meaningless what you want to do chip away and find out what “complicated” means…it could mean loss of money or it could mean that it makes them feel stupid…

If you find out that “feeling stupid” is one of the top frustrations with accounting software do you think it’s important to mention that in your video or other marketing materials? Hell yes.

When they give you answers then ask more questions to get clearer and clearer about their needs.

THEN you assemble all of those problems that you discovered from the people you spoke to and find all of the commonalities.

This helps you nail a few important things:

1. It helps you nail down the REAL issues that helps you understand your product and customer better then your competitors.
    2. It’ll help you target customers better or different sets of customers (you may find 3 distinct groups of potential markets inside of the “accounting software market” that you had no idea existed or had different issues and needs that you can now focus on.
    3. You can make innovations to your software based on what you’ve learnt…placing you ahead of your competitors…you become the “Apple” of accounting software.
    4. You can now create customer focused benefits that tightly match the people you’re trying to reach that separates you from everyone else…this is what is called “Magnetic Marketing”.

Peter Drucker (business/management guru) said that marketing and innovation are the two most important investments in business, everything else is an expense.

Marketing and innovations come from your customers not from brainstorming…there should be very little “guesswork” in these two areas.

You’ll get there mate keep going :)

nominal
    Up
    Jay-T, post: 74880 wrote:
    Talk to your clients or prospective clients and find out what is frustrating them about their current software OR what is stopping them from choosing a software package and find out why <-- this part is is very important... Great advise, thanks. This is something that I am trying to do for some time now, I had a few goes at it, but still no real clear direction is apparent. Our customers are all ‘virtual’ I don’t get to talk to many of them on the phone. Your response emphasises what I am learning lately, first the product needs to have the marketing built-in, it needs to be innovative and sell itself (purple cow) Also that I have to focus on a (small!) target market, in a way that will make Nominal the only viable option for businesses in this market, it needs to be the best and solve their problem like no one else does (crossing the chasm) This is a bit counter intuitive, because you think that our accounting software is great for any small businesses, never the less we have to forget about everyone and focus on select few (I am saying it but still not doing it) Will keep digging. Wendy – thanks for your feedback! Nigel and Ray – the animation is done using flash (swf file). which is good because the file is actually a script and not a movie, which makes it smaller, but the player is bit tricky I am still trying to make it fit the page properly :-)
    Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Hi – is your video flash? It does not show on the iPad or iPhone. There are just blank spaces next to your other text. It’s important to offer various formats that can be viewed on them as well. Cheers.

Jay-T
    • Total posts: 119
    Up

Ok, you have to find a way to get them on the phone OR at least just talk to business people in your area in small to medium businesses or whatever to get their perspective on accounting software…I’ll bet anything that you’ll probably find new clients this way.

Here’s the thing that most people miss when it comes to marketing….

Marketing originated from sales.

The problem I have with most marketers is that they’ve never sold anything or don’t see themselves as sales people which I think is a big problem…they think that marketing is “higher up” than sales which is B.S.

So the reason I say that you need to get them on the phone is so that you can get a one-on-one conversation going around accounting software without the pressure of asking for a sale…even though you’ll probably get interest from people you talk to.

John E. Kennedy (google him) made the statement that marketing is simply “salesmanship multiplied” claude hopkins (google him) said advertising is “salesmanship in print” and other greats who studied them haven’t been able to come up with a better way to state it so there is something in that and most new agey marketers totally miss this point.

Most of the stuff you’ve been reading is based on what the old school guys already figured out almost 100 years ago.

So get some people on the phone my man there isn’t a better way to do it.

writeNOISE
    • Total posts: 68
    Up

Hi Uri

I really like the video and I think it works well on the home page – but then I’m not a web/SEO etc expert.

Just curious who you got to do the voice-overs?

That’s one of my services and I’m keen to get into doing voice for animation/online marketing.

Just thought I’d throw it out there! :-)

Thanks!

Virginia

nominal
    Up
    writeNOISE, post: 77124 wrote:
    Just curious who you got to do the voice-overs?

http://www.elance.com/s/theaussievoiceguy/about/

He was working with another lady to do the birds voices.

writeNOISE
    • Total posts: 68
    Up
    nominal, post: 77133 wrote:
    http://www.elance.com/s/theaussievoiceguy/about/

He was working with another lady to do the birds voices.

Ah yes. I’ve heard of him. I’m on elance too. :) Thanks for letting me know.

Virginia

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.