Home – New Forums Get productive Providing ongoing clients with work in progress

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Simon K
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

I have a few ongoing clients that I manage their websites for and add certain features/improvements each month. Maintenance tasks stay the same but the features change from month to month.

What I want to provide my clients is:

• Work that’s in progress
    • Work that’s been completed
    • Work that’s in the queue

It would be ideal if they could access this at anytime and see the live results. Alternatively I could manually create a report and send it through to them.

I’d love to hear from anyone who does something similar to this and what system they use that’s worked for them and their clients.

Cheers!

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

One that I’ve used that might fit is mavenlink, it didn’t quite fit what I was doing, but it is a good tool for managing projects where you need the client to have access to some data/status … mine didn’t, so I found Insightly worked better for me.

Cheers

Simon K
    Up

Thanks estim8! I haven’t tried Mavenlink but from what I can see I think it’s got a bit too much for what need. I’ll have a go though and see how it is.

I’ve heard so many good things about Insightly, and I’m trying to use it but I just can’t get passed the horrible interface! Where does it work well for you? Do you work with a team at all? Let me know if you don’t mind sharing :)

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

If you can get beyond the UI (it is ugly-but simple) … It’s the best manager I’ve found. I don’t really have a need for it these days, but it saved my bum plenty of times when I had a lot of projects on the go.

I’m not sure how it goes as a team tool, haven’t used it that way … my clients were all too dumb, and I worked alone usually.

Best bet is to start simple and just use it as a task list, then expand as you get the hang of it.

My business was … a handful of clients, but a large no. of projects (construction tenders) all on strict time lines (tender closing date), lots of documents (up to 200 pdf construction drawings, plus contract documents etc etc). Also each one of these estimates may have to be lodged with up to 10 principal contractors who were tendering the main contract. In other words a F***ing nightmare.

One of the best things about Insightly (for me) was the “contacts” integration and the ability to tie documents and emails to a particular project.

If a client, or a tendering contractor rang or emailed, wanting some peripheral useless piece of crap, so they could tick a box, I could just pull up the project and I had every doc and every email for that project (without going near any other files or software).

Tendering and estimating/quoting is an expensive overhead (no one pays you for doing it). You probably only win 1 in 5 max … so streamlining the time spent in administering it was critical … Insightly worked for me, so it didn’t take long to get over that it was ugly.

Cheers

Simon K
    Up

Thanks estim8, I really appreciate it you going in to more details about how it’s working for you, I’ll have to save up some more patience and give it another shot :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.