Home – New Forums Money matters Proving my wife is employed by me to Centrelink if I don’t pay her a wage….

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ColourandCode
    • Total posts: 23
    Up
    ::

Hi there, if my business is not yet making a profit so I do not pay my wife a wage how can I “get her on the books” so to speak. They want proof of her employment for the “paid parental leave scheme”. However I am not paying her a wage yet. She does do my tax, bookkeeping, customer management, general office duties.

TehCamel
    • Total posts: 873
    Up

this should tell you pretty much everything you need to know.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/centrelink/parental-leave-pay/work-test-for-parental-leave-pay

you can be self-employed or working in a family business but not earning income..
    however, you’d need to be able to show a history of what she’s been doing.

things like.. my wife does my book-keeping. She keeps a detailed timesheet of what she does when. This way if we ever do decide to pay her a salary, or offer the same position to someone else, we know roughly what she should be paid, or how long it could take another person to do the job (and thus what we’d have to pay them)

James Millar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,739
    Up

Appropriately prepared and endorsed employment contract comes to mind. Possibly named on business insurance as well.

Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. [email protected] www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.