Home – New Forums Tech talk PSD to HTML

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    ::

I’m trying to cut down on my own workload and I’m looking to outsource some psd/illustrator to html work? (slicing and so on)
    I’m a bit of a coward so I’m a bit concerned about taking a punt on ODesk or Freelancer, because even good reviews won’t guarantee decent html. I was looking at psd2html.com on the web as a possibility.

Does anyone have any experience with outsourcing this work?

Cool Zephyr
    • Total posts: 54
    Up

Hey John,

A while back I tried to “streamline” my workflow by doing a similar thing (using xhtmlchop.com).

At face value it’s all good and displays nice for clients (cross browser friendly etc) but the code they provide is seriously amateur. They seem to neglect the C in CSS and create a class & style for every element on page where most would reuse the existing style declarations & use more generic classes.

What you end up with is a mission to maintain and is bloated with unnecessary code.

It may be a suitable approach to a simple design but for anything larger scale or more intricate – forget about it!

Josh
    Participant
    • Total posts: 45
    Up

recently Web designers on the net are talking a lot about using Fireworks instead of Photoshop for designs, you guys have any experience with Fireworks?

So they *say* that it cuts down the hours, makes me wonder if it helps the design -> html/css process. Like you say PSD -> html/css can be tedious… really tedious.

Cool Zephyr
    • Total posts: 54
    Up

It’s a bit ford vs holden really, both are good in their own ways I tried to migrate to fireworks as one of my at the time web idols was using it but couldn’t shake the familiarity of photoshop!

I have become interested in (however have yet to spend any real time experimenting with) inDesign it’s got some cool features that are great for responsive design (liquid layout and alternate layout). It also includes global styles similar fireworks.

Are we far enough off topic yet?

al.giffard
    • Total posts: 97
    Up

Hi John,

I’ve got a quote from psd2html a while back to outsource some work. The initial (generic) quote I got was reasonable, but my tweaks to get specifically what I was after seemed to be mostly “extras”, each costing more. Might well have just been me, but I started to feel the every time I sneezed I’d be up for another $50.

I ended up walking away and going with a freelancer instead, relying on reviews. I was reasonably happy with the end result.

Cheers,

Al.

Josh
    Participant
    Up

thanks zephyr, I never thought of using Indesign for web tbh! sorry about the tangent…

so John, psd2html is expensive, agree with al-bsm there. If you’re looking at the long term, getting a 2 or 3 good freelancers is much better bang for buck

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up

I would have thought the more common responsive design becomes, the less you would even think about exporting automatically from an graphics program. The need is still there to design before coding due to needing to show a client something they can sign off first, but all my sites that I build for myself or for friends, I design in situ, in the browser while building the site. Far faster, and far more accurate when you’re wanting to test out how a layout will flow across screen sizes.

So to me less and less reason why I would ever consider any app that auto generated code.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    Zava Design, post: 153372 wrote:
    I would have thought the more common responsive design becomes, the less you would even think about exporting automatically from an graphics program. The need is still there to design before coding due to needing to show a client something they can sign off first, but all my sites that I build for myself or for friends, I design in situ, in the browser while building the site. Far faster, and far more accurate when you’re wanting to test out how a layout will flow across screen sizes.

So to me less and less reason why I would ever consider any app that auto generated code.

+1

I only build responsive sites, and always in the browser, I do use responsive CSS3 frameworks like Twitter Bootstrap and Zurb-Foundation for a head start on layout and maybe UI elements.

I thought splitting PSD files was dying out …

Josh
    Participant
    Up
    Zava Design, post: 153372 wrote:

agree as well.
    I recently actually just wrote a blog post 10minutes ago about responsive web design – Responsive Web Design Sucks: Part 1. I know it’s all the rage right now :)

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up

Hi Josh,

If you’re for someone to outsource to I would be interested at having a chat to you :)

Not sure what rates you charge your clients, but I’d be happy to give you a discount on my hourly rate so you can make a margin too. :)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.