Home – New Forums Other discussions Public Disputes Policy – My disappointment

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up
    ::

If you looked up the word “unoriginal” in any dictionary, you’d find “khalid adam” as one of the definitions (in invisible ink).

;)

NathanB, post: 107748 wrote:
    Thanks Peter

I’d love to discuss this more with you are interested, in this thread too so others can be a part of it – i am not looking to debate, more just discuss and understand your views as forum administrator. I have a thought up a quick scenario which If presented to you I wonder what your response would be…

For my scenario, I have decided to pick on Khalid Adam – He IMHO is great contributed to FS and I enjoy reading his posts. He is well educated and has invested immensely in self development and greatly shares his learnings and recommendations with the FS community.

Now, Imagine one author of one of the many self development courses Khalid has participated in was to stubble on the the FS solo and see Khalid despencing wisdom on such subjects as Marketing/Finance that had a very close resemblance to work they had published and then claim copyright infringement or piracy against Khalid or this website directly?

Would you agree that Khalid has breeched copy right by sharing what some else has created, that he has learned? Or agree that Khalid has the right to share such information?

Would you remove Khalid or his posts at the weight of threat or would you conduct your own investigation into the merit of the claim before acting (or even seek independent advice?)

Sorry for directing this thread in another direction to the OP but all base are belong to us.

Cesar
    • Total posts: 591
    Up

In life it’s always best to remember the following:

Prevention is better than the cure…

It’s better to be safe than sorry…

Why be foolish and take the risk.

Cesar
    Up

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hi Nathan,

I feel like a politician here saying ‘I refuse to answer hypotheticals’ :) but I see where you’re coming from. In reality I’d get in a huddle with the others and discuss an appropriate response.

But in the interests of debate my own initial thoughts are below:

Would you agree that Khalid has breeched copy right by sharing what some else has created, that he has learned? Or agree that Khalid has the right to share such information?

I’d have no objective way of knowing if any of the claims had any basis or not, so couldn’t have a fully informed opinion either way.

This is where our position is “Flying Solo is not the appropriate channel for disputes or arguments between named individuals or companies. Any gripes should be taken up directly with the company concerned. It is our policy not to get involved, and any such discussions will be edited to remove names, or more likely, deleted.

Would you remove Khalid or his posts at the weight of threat or would you conduct your own investigation into the merit of the claim before acting (or even seek independent advice?)

Any serious allegations such as these would require a full investigation through appropriate channels. Certainly not a role FS is in a position to play. More than likely the material under dispute would be taken down in line with our guidelines. Not ideal, but there’s unlikely to be a resolution to please both parties.

But as I said, every situation is totally different and if we needed independent legal advice then there might be a different approach.

A potential can of worms that’s for sure :)

Cheers
    Peter

Khalid: Do you have a confession to make?

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hi Nathan,

I feel like a politician here saying ‘I refuse to answer hypotheticals’ :) but I see where you’re coming from. In reality I’d get in a huddle with the others and discuss an appropriate response.

I’d have no objective way of knowing if any of the claims had any basis or not, so couldn’t have a fully informed opinion either way.

This is where our position is “Flying Solo is not the appropriate channel for disputes or arguments between named individuals or companies. Any gripes should be taken up directly with the company concerned. It is our policy not to get involved, and any such discussions will be edited to remove names, or more likely, deleted.

Any serious allegations such as these would require a full investigation through appropriate channels. Certainly not a role FS is in a position to play. More than likely the material under dispute would be taken down in line with our guidelines. Not ideal, but there’s unlikely to be a resolution to please both parties.

But as I said, every situation is totally different and if we needed independent legal advice then there might be a different approach.

Cheers
    Peter

Uncomplicating
    • Total posts: 731
    Up
    Sorry for directing this thread in another direction to the OP but all base are belong to us.

As the OP I’d say this is allpart of the subject matter at hand. If the thread results in clearer understanding and better policy for FS and users, it’s a good thread.

Uncomplicating
    • Total posts: 731
    Up

As the OP I’d say this is allpart of the subject matter at hand. If the thread results in clearer understanding and better policy for FS and users, it’s a good thread.

NathanB
    Participant
    • Total posts: 775
    Up
    Khalid Adam, post: 107752 wrote:
    If you looked up the word “unoriginal” in any dictionary, you’d find “khalid adam” as one of the definitions (in invisible ink).

;)

It’s mostly all original to me :)

WAHE, post: 107753 wrote:

Prevention may be better than the cure, but you can’t prevent what you haven’t identified.

If it’s better to be safe than sorry then Rosa Parks would have sat at the back of the bus.

Why be foolish and take the risk? In this context, yes there is risk, but I would suggest the biggest fool is the one that allows their rights to be strip away piece by piece because they trying to be safe over sorry. :)

NathanB
    Participant
    Up
    Khalid Adam, post: 107752 wrote:

;)

It’s mostly all original to me :)

WAHE, post: 107753 wrote:

Prevention may be better than the cure, but you can’t prevent what you haven’t identified.

If it’s better to be safe than sorry then Rosa Parks would have sat at the back of the bus.

Why be foolish and take the risk? In this context, yes there is risk, but I would suggest the biggest fool is the one that allows their rights to be strip away piece by piece because they trying to be safe over sorry. :)

NathanB
    Participant
    Up
    FS Administrator, post: 107755 wrote:
    Hi Nathan,

Cheers
    Peter

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I must say I am slightly disappointed by the “let’s just pull everything down” sort of guidelines but I do understand the reasons why – all I can add is that Flying Solo would make an outstanding addition to the many voices in this world that have taken a stance on the subject – Wikipedia to name one of the leaders.

NathanB
    Participant
    Up
    FS Administrator, post: 107755 wrote:
    Hi Nathan,

Cheers
    Peter

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I must say I am slightly disappointed by the “let’s just pull everything down” sort of guidelines but I do understand the reasons why – all I can add is that Flying Solo would make an outstanding addition to the many voices in this world that have taken a stance on the subject – Wikipedia to name one of the leaders.

Cesar
    Up

Despite what has been discussed in this thread, (all very constructive may I say, whether I agree or not), one thing is for certain, because of the policies and guidelines the FS admin have successfully implemented this is one of the best, if not the best forum around.

Without proper guidelines and policies, certain individuals would be allowed to “Run a Muck” and basically ruin the “High-Standing” reputation of the FS forum. As I mentioned before, this is not the place to resolve problems or disputes between businesses and service providers.

Use the proper channels that have been set-up specifically to make your voice or dispute heard. For example, I had an issue with my telephone service provider, one which I will not name because I respect the FS guidelines, and after 3 attempts I was unable to resolve my problem. So, I sent an email to the Ombudsmen and within 4 days my problem was resolved. I would not even consider coming to this forum to make my voice heard as it is not the appropriate channel to do so.

So, thanks to FS team for being able to be part of this great forum…

PS, I am not “Sucking-Up” either, and if there is anything within this post you need to amend, please feel free to do so…:D

BTW, that is all I have to say on the subject, Cesar has left the building, Thank You Very Much…lol…

Cesar
    Up

Despite what has been discussed in this thread, (all very constructive may I say, whether I agree or not), one thing is for certain, because of the policies and guidelines the FS admin have successfully implemented this is one of the best, if not the best forum around.

Without proper guidelines and policies, certain individuals would be allowed to “Run a Muck” and basically ruin the “High-Standing” reputation of the FS forum. As I mentioned before, this is not the place to resolve problems or disputes between businesses and service providers.

Use the proper channels that have been set-up specifically to make your voice or dispute heard. For example, I had an issue with my telephone service provider, one which I will not name because I respect the FS guidelines, and after 3 attempts I was unable to resolve my problem. So, I sent an email to the Ombudsmen and within 4 days my problem was resolved. I would not even consider coming to this forum to make my voice heard as it is not the appropriate channel to do so.

So, thanks to FS team for being able to be part of this great forum…

PS, I am not “Sucking-Up” either, and if there is anything within this post you need to amend, please feel free to do so…:D

BTW, that is all I have to say on the subject, Cesar has left the building, Thank You Very Much…lol…

Neddy
    • Total posts: 392
    Up
    Neddy, post: 107702 wrote:
    I’ve had a few posts deleted and edited along the way, and it really peed me off. ;) Particularly as I believe myself to be a constructive member of this forum – plus I run my own forum and understand why guidelines and rules are important.

In every instance I have challenged the Admins by PM (respectfully) and argued my case – and on a few occasions they have accepted my POV and reinstated my posts.

So to my mind, as long as the Admins are prepared to listen to reasoned argument and reassess initial positions taken, then all is good with the world. :)

I know this thread is long finished, but I had a thread deleted today by FS Admins.

It was my thread, and there was a 25 post member who criticized me. There were a few responses for and against, and then suddenly the thread was deleted! :(

http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/need-resource-got-good-referral/18569-web-design-contest.html

The FS Admin sent me a nice PM saying why they had deleted it, and I responded that I was happy if it stayed up. I’m a great believer in freedom of speech (provided it is reasonably polite).

So to their credit, they posted it again – but closed it for further comments. :)

Cheers, Ned

Neddy
    • Total posts: 392
    Up
    Neddy, post: 107702 wrote:
    I’ve had a few posts deleted and edited along the way, and it really peed me off. ;) Particularly as I believe myself to be a constructive member of this forum – plus I run my own forum and understand why guidelines and rules are important.

In every instance I have challenged the Admins by PM (respectfully) and argued my case – and on a few occasions they have accepted my POV and reinstated my posts.

So to my mind, as long as the Admins are prepared to listen to reasoned argument and reassess initial positions taken, then all is good with the world. :)

I know this thread is long finished, but I had a thread deleted today by FS Admins.

It was my thread, and there was a 25 post member who criticized me. There were a few responses for and against, and then suddenly the thread was deleted! :(

http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/need-resource-got-good-referral/18569-web-design-contest.html

The FS Admin sent me a nice PM saying why they had deleted it, and I responded that I was happy if it stayed up. I’m a great believer in freedom of speech (provided it is reasonably polite).

So to their credit, they posted it again – but closed it for further comments. :)

Cheers, Ned

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.