Home – New Forums Starting your journey Public Liability – Home Business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Cook Learn Love
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

Hi Everyone,

I’m in the interim phases of setting up my own private culinary tuition business from home. I am assuming that public liablity insurance is a must and am wondering what other business operators who recieve clients into their homes do in order to have themselves covered? Most of the well known insurance companies simply don’t cover my type of business and I’m not really sure where to go next. I did consult an insurance broker but he bombarded me with so many questions for which I didn’t have answers that he couldn’t really help me and I was left feeling completely overwhelmed by the whole experience.

Any advice?

Helen

Alan Maddick
    • Total posts: 410
    Up

My advice would be to find an insurance broker you can work with. Business insurance is complex and in a lot of cases almost impossible to get without the help of a broker.

peppie
    • Total posts: 525
    Up

Hello Helen

You don’t say in your profile where you are located, so this may not be as helpful.

I had to do a lot of shopping around before I found an insurance broker that 1/ understood my sort of business in any way and 2/ I was able to talk with easily about the sort of business I was involved with. I have now for a few years been using Davelcorp in Sydney at http://www.riskybusiness.com.au and have found them very easy to work with.

You may be able to get cover extended for your house insurance to cover your business activities as far as public liability is concerned, but don’t make the assumption it is. You must ask and get it noted on your policy. If not you will need separate business cover.

VanessaCaputo
    • Total posts: 23
    Up

I agree with the other comments you really need to find a good insurance broker in your area.

Lara Kilborn
    • Total posts: 27
    Up

Hi Helen,

Where about’s are you based? I have 2 great insurance brokers I can recommend who are both in the South of Sydney.

There’s so much to think about whilst planning for starting your business, get the experts to look after compliance issues such as insurance and that will leave you free to focus on the things you know most about or are of most value to for your potential business!

Your local Business Enterprise Centre should also be able to make a referal for you.

Kind regards,

Lara Kilborn
    Business Development Manager
    St George & Sutherland Shire Business Enterprise Centre (BEC)
    http://www.becsmallbiz.com.au

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Thanks Lara, nice to see BEC on Flying Solo.

From what I understand your Liability Insurance is probably a Public and Product.

GIO offers great rates on this type of insurance, and you will find brokers more expensive

peppie
    • Total posts: 525
    Up

Not always so Mr Burgo.

I shopped around before going with a broker. I got good insurance cheaper than I could get elsewhere and it only cost me a small fee on top which all said came out the better. plus it saves a lot of running around.

At my last renewal my broker checked out some more companies for no extra fee to me. Saves a lot of running around.

Lara, welcome (I was at the Sutherland Business Development Week last week).
    Hint… throw your marketing questions at this lady, she knows her stuff!

BlueVelvet
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

Hi there. I don’t know where you are (and you have probably already covered this) but bear in mind that your insurance is null and void if you don’t follow Council regulations regarding food businesses run from home.

For example, in my case, I was not eligible for any insurance on the basis that my kitchen at home was not to commercial standard. (Can’t run a business from a domestic kitchen). As such, I was not legally entitled to insure what could not be lawfully set up.

So I simply rented a commercial kitchen instead and built my insurance package around that. I needed insurance for public liability, product, equipment and a whole host of business related aspects. To this end, like the others have said, you need a broker you can understand and who doesn’t baffle you with bs. There are plenty out there who can help you.

Like I said, you’ve probably already addressed the commercial kitchen aspect but I do come across a lot of people who, like me, are introduced to this ‘little surprise’ and find out that it’s just one of many serious roadblocks that a foodie must address or risk a huge fine. I should’ve taken up jewellery making!

Lara Kilborn
    Up

Thanks for the welcome Patrick. We try and be everywhere businesses (not always easy!) are and the forums here are a great resource!

Cheers,

Lara Kilborn

Facebook: St. George and Sutherland Shire Business Enterprise Centre (BEC)
    Twitter: LarafromBEC
    Linked In: http://au.linkedin.com/in/larakilborn

Lara Kilborn
    Up

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your kind words. I really enjoyed presenting at Business Development Week and Micro Biz week (think we met there too didn’t we?).

Have just sent you a LinkedIn invite too.

I hope our BEC can assist you and Aureola Productions in the future.

Kind regards,

Lara Kilborn

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hi Lara,
    I just wanted to echo what the others have said and say welcome and always great to see BEC extending their influence online – especially on Flying Solo :) I know Robert in particular has had a lot of involment over the years with the valuable BEC events and programs.
    Thanks again
    Peter

MattDell
    • Total posts: 52
    Up

Hi Helen
    As an insurance professional for 20 years I would be happy to help and advise. Business Liability for your home based teaching business may be as low as $500 with interest free payments available. Obviously I might need some additional info to give you a proper quote but I am sure we would be very inexpensive. You can contact me through the site (click on the username to send me an email I think)

Let me add some extra value to this discussion though.

You have more to worry about than just liability. There is physical insurance such as fire and theft – both of which are likely NOT covered for items you use for business use (even if they are for domestic/personal use too). Then there is Workers comp &/or Personal injury insurance for yourself. Like most small biz owners YOU are your business more than any name or product is. So it is important that you cover the most important asset of your business – which is you!

To respond to some other points made in this thread.
    Yes insurance brokers can offer excellent service and pricing. Theoretically they shop around to get you the best deal. In practice they don’t shop smaller policies around at all. They have a preferred facility they use to place small policies like this – so basically they get one quote. The cover can be equally as good as can the price but for small policies they don’t spend days scouring every available option.

I find lots of customers who think they are happy with a policy from a direct insurer, like GIO or NRMA. And the policy might be fine and the price great.

But I also have lots of customers who come to me when they find out that the policy they have been paying for doesn’t cover them for what they really need. Most of these large direct insurers don’t take the time to find out your specific needs and tailor the cover to your requirements. They also don’t take the time to explain it very well. I am amazed that people pay for something they don’t have the vaguest idea about.

You need to do some research into the cover you are buying otherwise you might not be covered when the time comes. And if the person/company selling it can’t explain the cover and point out to you where their explanation comes from in the written contract (so you back up their verbal advice with the written word) then I suggest you move onto a person/company who will.

Unfortunately most direct insurance companies are glorified call centre type operations so this service can be harder to find. Brokers tend to offer a more detailed and personalised service but then like most professionals they want to charge for it. I know I was one for 10 years.

The best of all possible worlds is a direct insurer with excellent products, good prices and who takes the time to understand your needs and explain the policies to you.

{ahem – shameless plug} That’s what I strive for :)

BlueVelvet – I was not eligible for any insurance on the basis that my kitchen at home was not to commercial standard

Obviously I would recommend you establish your business correctly and trade compliantly. So check out all the rules that apply before you start. But I am surprised that an insurance company would knock you back on this basis – I probably wouldn’t. However bear in mind that an insurance policy is not going to pay for any fines or penalties that arise from your operation. So if the Council fine you for operating a home business or the Health Dept. condemn your kitchen you aren’t going to be able to claim the fines and lost trading.

The bottomline is don’t just shop for price, also shop for quality and make sure you have what you need and that you understand it.
    What’s the saying Good advice is worth anything and Bad advice is worth nothing. I hope I just gave you some good advice :)

Cook Learn Love
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

Hi Guys and thanks for all the advice,

I’ve already checked out all the council regulations..it was one of the first things I did, being a chef and familiar with the strict regulations in this regard. Everything is good there, I’ll be submitting my home business application in the next few days and wont spend a dime on anything else business related until I get my licence.

My location is Perth, but thanks for the heads up re Sydney businesses. I’ve spoken with GIO and they tried to slot my business into one of their pigeonholes-which didn’t work and they couldn’t do anything more for me.

I’ll check out my options regarding home and contents insurance, and Matt, thanks for the tip on insuring my own self-something that I hadn’t really considered. I’ll be in touch.

Helen

Lara Kilborn
    Up

Thanks Peter,

We’ve been fortunate enough to have Robert speak at events for our BEC before and it’s always a pleasure catching up with him.

Flying Solo is a great forum for people to ask questions and find information. Just need to work out how to have some more time to spend on here answering peoples queries!

Cheers,

Lara Kilborn
    Business Enterprise Centre (BEC)

Phone: (02) 9545 5900
    Mobile: 0412 549 534
    Fax: (02) 9545 5988

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Thanks for the kind words Lara. Best of luck ‘finding more time’!

Robert

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.