Home – New Forums Selling online Public liability vs product insurance

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    KidsActivitiesDelivered
    • Total posts: 50
    Up
    ::

Just wondering if any other online sellers could help me?

I currently have public liability insurance but reading other threads I think this isn’t actually what I need.

Basically I need to be covered if a child swallows a pom pom or injures themselves on the craft products provided. My boxes are all clearly labelled ‘not for under 3 years old’ and all materials are non toxic but I know I need some sort of cover just in case.

Is public liability what I need or do I need product insurance? With lots of different bits and pieces provided I’m not sure if product insurance would work. Any recommendations for companies? I’m currently paying around $30 a month for $5 mil cover.

Thank you :)

Sarah

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Hi, it’s called Professional Liability and Product liability insurance to cover you and your products. Cheers.

KidsActivitiesDelivered
    • Total posts: 50
    Up
    KarenC, post: 187890 wrote:
    Hi, it’s called Professional Liability to cover you and your products. Cheers.

Perfect, thank you!

Simply Money Honey
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

Hi Sarah

You need product liability insurance. Speak to an insurance broker who can advice you and arrange the insurance for you.

Cheers

Gabrielle

chuey
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

Interesting question i have never thought about

i sell on ebay and have posted a disclaimer below my products listings

my preliminary thinking is to put your business into a shell company, so if u get sued, your liabilities are limited

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Most of the time product and public liability are rolled into one policy for you.

I recently got a quote from a broker which included both. The advantage being it covers your product and you ( your company ) if you are at a trade show or just generally out and about trying to sell your product.

Ultimately its one less thing to worry about in this litigious world.

Any insurance broker will need to find out about the nature of your business to go looking for the most competitive quote and get back to you.

I used Scott Winton brokers, who’s quote was very reasonable.

micmehmet
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

Hi Sarah,

As mentioned, you want Product Liability cover (possibly in addition to Public Liability, depending on the nature of what you sell) and if there is any advice provided, maybe in the form of instructions for assembly or something, you could also be looking at Professional Indemnity?

btw as I understand it, you can switch at any time from one policy to another/one company to another and you (normally) will be paid out pro-rata for the unused portion of your old policy…

Michael

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.