Home – New Forums Starting your journey purchase orders, small goods and a take away shop

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    d3mad
    • Total posts: 73
    Up
    ::

We’re close to opening our doors and are at the stage of making our first rounds of orders. Most suppliers we’ve spoken to so far ca just take our order over the phone and send the items with an invoice COD. Some have agreed to accept payment by bank transfer etc. Eventually we will get accounts (for those that we haven’t already) and have a time-to-pay, but that’s not really important at the moment.

I’d like to streamline the process but given the prices of the supplied items fluctuate on a daily or weekly basis (prices often not included in their catalogues for this reason), what is the best or most appropriate way to “Order” stock like this? The stuff I’m talking about is large quantities of fresh vegetables and meat. Most other items are reasonably stable and change less frequently.

Is creating a purchase order the way to go?

How do you deal with unknown prices?

Are phone/fax orders just the way to go?

I know there are probably bigger things to do at this stage, it’s just something I’m struggling with finding a happy process with.

Kylie Holbeck
    • Total posts: 11
    Up
    ::

If you are wanting to know the cost of your orders maybe a simple spreadsheet with your order emailed to the supplier. They could place the order and email back the invoice with current pricing. This will also bring to your attention any out of stocks they may have so you can order from a different supplier. If you are looking to keep a track of orders using purchase orders would be the way to go.

Another option would be to use an accounting system for example xero enter into “purchase order” with $0 value and you could send orders directly from there.This also allows you to add delivery instructions or any other information your need to tell the supplier. When the invoice for stock comes in you can then add in invoiced price and convert the PO to a “Purchase”. Attach a scanned copy of the invoice and match off to your bank feed. Come BAS time most of the purchases will be entered and reconciled.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.