Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Purchasing lists of businesses

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    supajack
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

My colleague and I are considering opening business directory website, sort of like TrueLocal, initially probably much, much simpler and with fewer features obviously.

One question that we have is how we can get listings of businesses into our database. There are number of places where such lists of businesses can be purchased its always not clear however if its ok to import such a list into our database and make it publicly searchable via our website?

If anyone could clarify this or come up with another option we could use if we decide to go with the idea that woud be great, thank you!

Lucinda Lions
    • Total posts: 104
    Up

Hi Supajack

Welcome to the Flying Solo forums!

It’s a good question you ask, but unfortunately I don’t know the answer. I hope someone else can jump in and lend a hand.

Look forward to seeing you around the Flying Solo site.

Wishing you lots of success with your new website.
    Lucinda :)

Justin Laju
    • Total posts: 89
    Up
    supajack, post: 190977 wrote:
    My colleague and I are considering opening business directory website, sort of like TrueLocal, initially probably much, much simpler and with fewer features obviously.

One question that we have is how we can get listings of businesses into our database. There are number of places where such lists of businesses can be purchased its always not clear however if its ok to import such a list into our database and make it publicly searchable via our website?

If anyone could clarify this or come up with another option we could use if we decide to go with the idea that woud be great, thank you!

Hi Superjack

Well, publically available data is publically available – so if it’s in the public domain you can use it.

Its how you use it and how to get it that poses some issues.

If you were to transcribe every listing from a given directory onto your own directory – no one can stop you. That said, if you make the data exactly the same you might have some issues – if you actually become competition that is – so choose a different format, even if just slightly different.

The real question is how do we get the data in “bulk”.

Well, you need a scraper.

Here’s where it get’s iffy though. I need to recommend that you read the terms and conditions for a given site and assess whether they say not to scrape their data.

So, depending on that – buy a subscription to outwit hub. Maybe $40, I think.

You won’t look back once you do. Outwit hub lets you scrape and tabulate data from any website, or directory so you can use it for telemarketing lists, creating databases, and of course creating directories.

If you have any issues creating or getting your head around how the ‘scraper’s and ‘macros’ work (it can be a bit of a head scramble) – get in touch and I’ll give you the “Outwit for Dummies” fast track.

You don’t need any coding or esoteric knowledge though, once you’re set it’s click and watch the tables populate :)

Calcul8or
    Participant
    • Total posts: 481
    Up

I think the answer to this question needs to take into consideration Intellectual Property (IP) laws and issues.

If you are going to offer a product or service for re-sale that you have obtained illegitimately, then I would imagine you would be risking action from the IP owner and possibly even government bodies (such as the ACCC) for doing so.

I am no expert, but this is what I have always assumed about IP.

Cheers,
    Shail

Programmer. Analyst. Nerd. Calcul8ors.com.au Custom Software & Collaboration
    Sb support link
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

Hi Jack

I assume you want the directory to ultimately create traffic to your website?

We run a directory for Australian small businesses, and we do not use anyone else’s data.

I know its tempting, but engaging with your members is the most important. We have found that once you engage with them they will refers other to list in the directory.

If traffic is your main objective, placing someone’s business in your list will not ensure you get traffic to the site. You will need to keep updating their details (rather than them doing it), and it just costs you more time.

Our members can update their directory listing at any time which means the actual users of the site can rely on the most up to date information :-)

I hope this helps

Need Leads?
    • Total posts: 54
    Up

You have a few choices here….

You can upload the basic information which is already publicly available and have a note there for people to claim their business.

Run an Email or Cold Calling campaign to add people into the directory.

Or you can do loads of online advertising to have people enter their own information

I would recommend you do all of the above :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.