Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Pushy Salespeople

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    linkartist
    • Total posts: 89
    Up
    ::

LOL Renee, yes I wrote the original post in 5 minutes and then returned afterwards to add an afterthought or 7!

So, we’ve concluded, pushy salespeople, thumbs down?

:)

Renee Barber
    • Total posts: 360
    Up
    linkartist, post: 5096 wrote:
    LOL Renee, yes I wrote the original post in 5 minutes and then returned afterwards to add an afterthought or 7!

So, we’ve concluded, pushy salespeople, thumbs down?

:)

You won’t get any arguments from me (on this one anyway, smile), but I’m still waiting for the ‘flame war’ (I know; that’s so 90s) I expected after your post, but maybe some people (intelligently) take weekends off.

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

What gives you that impression dorrrrrrr

Renee Barber
    • Total posts: 360
    Up
    Burgo, post: 5102 wrote:
    What gives you that impression dorrrrrrr

What are you trying to say, Burg(o)?

linkartist
    Up

Really? Gosh I hope I don’t provoke a flame war, it wasn’t my intention at all.

I like to think that we can disagree without silly things like nitpicking & flaming – hopefully we are all adults :)

LeelaCosgrove
    • Total posts: 634
    Up

*shakes head*

No, I do not have children of my own – I do have step children.

That doesn’t mean I understand.

I’m not one for posting my personal challenges all over public websites, so I’m not going to get into it.

But don’t assume that having no children means that my life is smooth sailing, I have no challenges and that I have all the time in the world – there are many things in this life that present challenges and suck up time. Children are only one on a long list.

At the end of the day my point was simply this.

Business = sales.

AT it’s most basic level, regardless of WHY you are in business – business is simply one thing. SELLING a product.

That’s not a “It depends on whether you want to take over the world” kind of thing.

It’s simply a fact.

Business = sales.

If you hate sales or you’re not willing to learn to sell then you really need to think about whether you should be in business at all.

But either way, this conversation started because you said you WANTED To sell … and then started making excuses as to why you couldn’t … I maintain – Reasons or Results.

*shrugs* having children is a perfectly good reason for not learning how to sell. It can also be a perfectly good reason for not learning how to drive – my mum used that excuse for 20 years. I’d love to be able to drive, but I’ve got kids. And everyone nodded and said they understood … problem is … for all their understanding and all the ‘reasonableness’ of the argument, she still couldn’t drive.

I mean, it’s not like she could take the car out on the road … police pull her up … can we see your licence please? “Oh, I’m sorry – I don’t have one. I’ve got kids you see … but I really need to get from point A to point B, so I’m just going to drive anyway.”

Reasons or Results.

If you say you want a result, don’t then come up with a bunch of reasons you can’t. Because all that means is simply that you don’t really want the result … I have quite a few single mums in my network who run businesses … they’ve all learned to sell … and they don’t even have husbands to help take care of the kids.

Ha! Weekend off! I wish. I haven’t had time off since January.

I was running a seminar on Saturday and had a mass of work to catch up on on Sunday so banned myself from the internet.

I do resent the implication that there would be a ‘flame’ war. I’m not 15. I don’t take conversations on the internet personally. This is simply a discussion – I hardly think childish name calling is warranted.

Burgo
    Participant
    Up

‘ you tell’m luv’ and I’ll drink to that.

Well said Leela.

‘Selling is no different to anything else … when you first start, you WILL SUCK. You just need to stick with it … push through the hard bits … and then it gets easier.’

linkartist
    Up

I’m sorry if I added any stress for you Leela, but I honestly think that wires have gotten crossed somewhere for you to be so aggro towards me. I would assume that, as a writer, you mean exactly what you say, so I will just opt out of the discussion at this point because, no… you don’t get what I am saying at all.

I feel patronised & condescended to at this point, and I really don’t appreciate it because I am actually quite a capable business woman. I just do things differently to you. And that’s OK.

I never said that I hated sales. I said that I hated/disagreed with *hard selling* and cold calling. I sell, and I do well at it, and my product kicks arse, so I make absolutely no apologies for my business model. And I will not be condescended to just because I see things differently and have different priorities.

But anyway… whatever… I don’t need to bang on here trying to have the last word or be right… I just express my opinion and whatever the outcome of that, so be it. We should just agree to disagree, respectfully.

linkartist
    Up

PS I just need to add that Leela has given some good advice in parts and it has provided me with food for thought. Even though we disagree on some things, I do actually like reading other points of view!

LeelaCosgrove
    • Total posts: 634
    Up

I’m not stressed – and I’m not aggro with anyone. As I said, I don’t take online conversations as a personal attack … I thought we were having a conversation, but clearly you’ve gotten upset about it …

I simply have a point of view and I’m expressing it.

If anyone should feel condescended to in this discussion, one would think a comment like:

My question to you, I guess is whether you have kids. Because if you don’t then I don’t think you realise how complicated life becomes when you are trying to build a business, having literally built something from literally nothing, with the demands of young children as well.

Is really about as condescending as it gets.

Because if I don’t have children I don’t understand what a challenge is? I don’t understand what it’s like to build something from nothing? I couldn’t possibly understand anything?

That’s really a hugely assumptive and very VERY condescending thing to say … everyone in this world has their own set of troubles and challenges. Just because I don’t have children doesn’t mean I don’t have my own – and doesn’t make them any less valid than yours. I face my own challenges everyday – and I stand and fight and do what needs to be done regardless.

You said you wanted to learn more about sales.

Then you said you wanted to get someone to sell for you.

Then you said you couldn’t because you have kids.

I simply said that was a reason and it wasn’t going to get you the results that YOU said you wanted …

That’s neither condescending nor patronising.

It’s just a fact. If you took it personally and got emotional about it … well, hey – I have no control over how people choose to interpret my words. And I’m always confused when people take online stuff personally and get all upset about it … because I don’t so I suppose I just assume no one else does either …

I didn’t say you ‘have’ to get these results … you literally entered the conversation asking questions about selling:

I guess the next question is… how or where do you learn these skills? Its not like you can just get them from a book or course :)

Which perhaps I should have read as rhetorical?

If you don’t want people to offer their help and expertise, it’s probably a good idea not to ask questions in a forum … forum questions tend to be treated as requests for help rather than rhetorical questions …

I never meant to offend anyone – the way I saw it, questions were asked and I answered them.

If you don’t like my answers … well, I don’t have any control over that. As I said, perhaps if there’s a chance the answers will upset you, you should avoid asking the questions in the first place …

radharc
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

People! take five and chill. Don’t post that next reply, just sit on it for a few hours..

You are both on the same coin, just different sides, okay.

Burgo
    Participant
    Up

‘Selling is no different to anything else … when you first start, you WILL SUCK. You just need to stick with it … push through the hard bits … and then it gets easier.’

sorry to harp but THIS IS A FACT OFLIFE

Rachel Reeves
    • Total posts: 148
    Up
    Burgo, post: 5156 wrote:

Hearing you Patrick, Leela did make a good point here – and it is really important to ‘sell’ in business. Fact is if we don’t sell our product (ie. service) at some point then we are not going to get customers! Who wants to do business with someone who is not confident with what they are selling? It doesn’t have to be cold calling, or hard selling but I do agree with Leela here, these can be really effective and even unintrusive if done in the right way.

Hey and I am a Mum – but I don’t think that gives me any right to say that my life is any harder than the next persons. Yes, maybe my hubbie and I are in a busy stage in our lives, but most of us Mum’s and Dad’s chose this road and dare I say it, had some idea of what we were getting ourselves into. I love being a Mum, it is hard sometimes and I don’t always get as much done as I would hope to – but hey, my kids shine so brightly at times that it makes it all so worth while! And I must say I am very blessed as this is not something everybody is able to experience.

Actually, reading through the previous posts in this thread my thought was what a great debate! I can really tell from previous threads and this one Leela that you like to debate things. I have noticed that you speak from the heart but at the same time don’t take things that others say personally. Instead you use these things to grow your knowledge base and to help others to grow theirs. I really respect this Leela.

In business it is not good to take things personally or things tend to turn pear shaped pretty quickly. I think it is really healthy for us to consider things from a personal perspective however – if we didn’t put our own personal touch on things then everything for each person would turn out the same way and the world might as well be flat and not round. Enjoy life, enjoy the busyness of it and the debates, enjoy the smiles and enjoy the tears. Life throws us so many ups and downs – why not use every minute of it to benefit the next!

Anyway, enough of my ramblings.

jemcru
    • Total posts: 18
    Up

you both have good sense of advise..i love your thoughts.

jemcru
    http://ohmi.com.au/index.php/office

mexham
    • Total posts: 302
    Up

Hmm, interesting, fun thread you started here Natalie.

I think the discussion intially started though about you talking about how much pushy sales people upset you, and made you feel uncomfortable in regards to that call from the TL.

I also mentioned my experience that made me feel uncomfortable aswell. And yes I agree Leela I should have more confidence/balls and not find it so difficult to unfront say ‘no’. But unfortunately I don’t, and therefore stutter out excuses why I don’t want to purchase when the sales person tries to close. Something I need to work on obviously. My own problem totally, but from a sales point of view, aggressive pushy tactics, or being put into a situation that makes me fell uncomfortable are never going to win over someone like me. Its all very well to go in aggressively for a sale, but I’d think a good salesperson should beable to understand their client or target and work with them or atleast take an angle that works in with their potential customers personality type.

Don’t people generally buy based on emotion? Postive emotion i guess, so upset them or make them feel uncomfortable and zap you pushed them away and lost a sale. I believe a great salesperson should actually make you feel happy about buying from them, create some excitement, it should be a positive and enjoyable experience for both parties.

How do others deal with this? Do you have straight sales scripts, or do you tailor you sales efforts depending on the personality type of the person? Generally the harder someone pushes a sale at me the further I step back, I like time to consider and evaluate my options, some sales people don’t seem to understand this or have any different approach angles.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.