Home – New Forums Starting your journey Query with Selling Clothing on Ebay

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Myrmidon
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    ::

Hi, I’ve started selling (generic from Alibaba) children’s clothing on Ebay and sales are fairly slow (I know that I’m still new to the game and don’t have may listings) but have realized that upon doing further research on the ebay market that majority of the successful sales comes from China or Aussies that seem like they Dropship. I find it difficult to near impossible to compete with these people soly based on price and to be successful I may need to sell items where people may need the product quickly e.g. for events such as Weddings or Dance performance. I also work in Logistics and most of our customers that do sell clothing online seem to have their own brand, have their own website and don’t sell anything generic, the customers that do well on ebay seem to be the one’s that sell heavy mechanical or large items. so my question is am I doing this all wrong, is it actually better to dropship clothing on ebay to stay competitive? has anyone been successful with selling generic clothing on ebay with buying from overseas and reselling in Australia? If so what criteria’s do you use to make a decision on what you will buy, I’d like to hear some words of wisdom :)

Thanks!

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Hopefully some helpful members will be along soon with some on-point advice.

Cheers

heftzwecke
    • Total posts: 213
    Up

There is a problem with Australia post. The Chinese government keeps postage rates very low to help their sellers. You will have to pay at least $ 7.60 for something under 500 gr. I would not like to compete in such a market!

Myrmidon
    Up
    heftzwecke, post: 242147, member: 88078 wrote:
    There is a problem with Australia post. The Chinese government keeps postage rates very low to help their sellers. You will have to pay at least $ 7.60 for something under 500 gr. I would not like to compete in such a market!
    I’ve always wondered how it is possible for them to ship for such a low price considering that they still have to deliver it from a port in Australian to the end customer, which means that they still have an Australian employee from Auspost to deliver the goods?
    heftzwecke
    • Total posts: 213
    Up

On the top of it there are a lot of markets here were people sell childrens clothes they sew and they are fairly cheap. The big box outlets aren’t very expensive either. You will have to have something VERY special. Apart from that there are paypal fees, ebay fees packaging…..Unfortunately, I sell much more plants on ebay than over my website. Often because I am the only one selling that plant.

MCoWebsiteDesign
    • Total posts: 23
    Up

We are moving out of 6 years on eBay with a fashion and footwear business that got very big

Here are some my tips.
    Problem with eBay or Amazon etc… you are just a number who competes on price and it is incredibly difficult to establish any branding on eBay
    Solution – structure your business so you can get repeat sales to customers,, use eBay sales as low profit high volume sales to funnel clients and their emails into an email marketing system where you sell from your own website…
    Problem – other sellers sell cheaper than i can and I cant make a decent profit – forget about profit on the first sale, sell low cost items that are easy to post that you can sell lots of and grow a huge list of emails and then try to make money on the repeat sales.. Straight away you will have almost free marketing and zero eBay fees. There’s 8-20% profit straight away per sale… Then go for the up sells, cross sells and down sells in your items and carts to boost sales value of each customer.
    Problem , I cant compete with china on price –
    Solution – you cant be all things to all people – compete on being affordable but supplying the item in1/10th the time on eBay, you will win that competition every time.
    Problem – generic items are low price
    Solution true – source products and establish your branding, Alibaba has lots of easy ways for you to label your own brands…you won’t develop customer loyalty without a brand. Most people will view your product as being far more reputable if you have your own brand, own business name and a physical address. If you sell unlabeled generic brands only on eBay you’re going to stuck be in a competition for the lowest margin. I would only use the generic items to build the initial stages of a sustainable business model based on adding value and developing repeat sales, through branding and email marketing to previous customers.

Myrmidon
    Up
    MCoWebsiteDesign, post: 242848, member: 89106 wrote:
    We are moving out of 6 years on eBay with a fashion and footwear business that got very big

Here are some my tips.
    Problem with eBay or Amazon etc… you are just a number who competes on price and it is incredibly difficult to establish any branding on eBay
    Solution – structure your business so you can get repeat sales to customers,, use eBay sales as low profit high volume sales to funnel clients and their emails into an email marketing system where you sell from your own website…
    Problem – other sellers sell cheaper than i can and I cant make a decent profit – forget about profit on the first sale, sell low cost items that are easy to post that you can sell lots of and grow a huge list of emails and then try to make money on the repeat sales.. Straight away you will have almost free marketing and zero eBay fees. There’s 8-20% profit straight away per sale… Then go for the up sells, cross sells and down sells in your items and carts to boost sales value of each customer.
    Problem , I cant compete with china on price –
    Solution – you cant be all things to all people – compete on being affordable but supplying the item in1/10th the time on eBay, you will win that competition every time.
    Problem – generic items are low price
    Solution true – source products and establish your branding, Alibaba has lots of easy ways for you to label your own brands…you won’t develop customer loyalty without a brand. Most people will view your product as being far more reputable if you have your own brand, own business name and a physical address. If you sell unlabeled generic brands only on eBay you’re going to stuck be in a competition for the lowest margin. I would only use the generic items to build the initial stages of a sustainable business model based on adding value and developing repeat sales, through branding and email marketing to previous customers.

Thanks for your incredibly detailed response. Always good to have some solid feedback! :D

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.