Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Question about ABN, business names and domain names

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    RWC2014
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

I’ve spent a fair amount of time over the past month or two reading and searching threads as a visitor, and I find the level of help and knowledge from the wider community truly inspiring.

I have just registered as a user and have a question I was hoping you could all help me out with.

My wife and I are just about to set-up a General Partnership to start selling products online. (We are both in full time employment and would like to start off small and initially run it part-time).

Our plan is to create one website and sell various different products and brands through it. The majority of the products will be bought from other wholesales, but we plan to make 1 or 2 products ourselves.

We have already applied for a Partnership ABN and TFN, and are just about to register a business name and buy a domain name (including variations of the domain name e.g .com.au, .com etc) for the main website that we will be retailing all the products from. However, we would also like to come up with different names/brands for the 2 products that we’ll be making ourselves just to keep our options open.

Should we be registering business names and buying the domain names for these 2 products too (even if we’ll only be selling them on the main website and won’t be using them at all) just to stop someone else from being able to use them in the future?

Also can we register these 2 additional business names and buy the domain names using the one Partnership ABN?

Thanks for your help.

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Yes you can do all of that under the partnership ABN.

It is hard to answer the other questions not knowing what products you are talking about. Try to think outside your business, will anyone search or look up a domain that is that product name – if so then yes register them.

In the scheme of things names are so cheap, domains are too so you could register them and decide later if you want to keep them or not.

Often people go a little register crazy and then decide it wasn’t all necessary.

Hope that helps

RWC2014
    Up

Thanks for your reply Kelly,

So if we did decide to register these two additional business names and associated domain names, but never use them this wouldn’t cause any admin issues down the line other than having to re-register them every year?

Also is there a time-limit put on these to use them within a certain period of time eg. use or loose them in 3 years for example?

Thanks again for your help

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

No – If you want to keep registering them it is your expense and you never have to officially use them. They all just stay attached to your ABN under the partnership.

RWC2014
    Up

Thanks again Kelly

redleaftea
    • Total posts: 53
    Up

While you don’t have to use them you should

Put up a simple static page on each with a nice graphic and simple text and provide a link to your other site if people want to buy

This gives you a backlink (always good to have those especially when you’re starting out), the opportunity to advertise for wholesale business, etc

Just my thoughts :)

Glimmer
    Up

Your next hurdle will of course be your website… You sound like you have been putting quite a bit of research into the planning of this business which is great…

please ensure you do exactly the same with your website… I have seen far too many people pay far too much money or not enough money in order to get the correct website…. price does not mean quality…

I not not sell websites by the way, I am a business consultant that has just seen too many people get burned…

Do not get your friends or family members to build you one… unless the are EXPERTS… not believe they are experts but are actually expert programmers in their trade…

Make sure it’s going to do exactly what you need when you need it to and that you will be easily able to make the changes to it as and when you need to …

Peter Martin
    0421 802 821

http://www.glimmermc.com.au

RWC2014
    Up

Thanks for sharing redleaftea – this is a great idea.

Thanks for the advice Peter – we have also heard some horror stories about people getting burner re their websites, so will tread carefully.

Thanks again.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.