Home – New Forums Starting your journey Question About Company Names

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Chrispro
    Participant
    • Total posts: 90
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

2 questions if I may…

I will shortly be looking to change my company name. I’m told it’s quite easy. Can someone please let me know what is required?

Secondly, I understand that I can’t use a name which is already registered – that’s fine. However the name I am interested in is listed as ‘Deregistered’. Can I register this Company Name, or because it was registered previously does that rule it out? Thanks

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,384
    Up

Hi And Welcome to the Forums. It is great to have you!

Hopefully some helpful members will be along soon with some on-point advice.

Cheers

Chrispro
    Participant
    Up

Thanks, much appreciated.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Chrispro, post: 238235, member: 84887 wrote:
    Secondly, I understand that I can’t use a name which is already registered – that’s fine. However the name I am interested in is listed as ‘Deregistered’. Can I register this Company Name, or because it was registered previously does that rule it out? Thanks

I don’t know the answer to your specific question, there are far more knowledgeable people on here for that.

But if you can, the first question I would be asking is why was it deregistered, because depending on that reason it could depend if you want it anyhow.

As an example if the previous business had a bad reputation and went out of business, then how much of that badness (!!) are you going to pickup just because you have the same name. You may be totally 100% the greatest business in the world, but I remember that I dealt with XYZ previously and got ripped off or bad products, so if they come up in my search, it will be forget it move on.

So all I am saying is if you can reuse it, find out why it was shut down.

Chrispro
    Participant
    Up

Yep, good point thanks Bert. I had thought of that actually and am not too concerned since I won’t be trading much under the Company name. I will have a number of other registered business names which sit under it. Still a fair point though as one never wants to be ‘guilty by association’ so I will certainly take that onboard.

Chrispro
    Participant
    Up

Can anybody else contribute to this?…

Easysmb
    • Total posts: 84
    Up

Hi Chris
    Change company names: yes you can. company director can change company names, you can lodge by yourself via ASIC connect. Currently ASIC fee should be less than $400, Fill in Form 205. Or ask accountant to change for you, they are normally ASIC agents.

Nor sure the reason for you to change company names, one option is to just register business name under the current company name and use the business name instead of changing company name.

For deregistered names, you can register, you can always check on ASIC website to see they are available.

You can find all information on ASIC website.

Good luck.

Chrispro
    Participant
    Up

Awesome, thanks for the reply Michael. Looks like it is $387. Shame, as someone else told me they thought it was like $100 to change. That’s OK though. Looking to change as I wish to sell my business and I have been trading under the company name. Easiest for me to keep the company structure as is, but I want to change the name just to close off that period of my life and because it really was associated with that particular business. Am going to change it to a name that I want to keep and then have a few different trading names under it for different businesses.

Thanks for the info about de-registered names. I had trouble finding any concrete info. Have been using the ASIC site and of course when you select ‘Check name Availability’ from the drop-down the name I want doesn’t come up, but when you select ‘Organisation & Business Names’ it does come up (as de-reg’d). So my assumption was that I could use it but I just wanted to make sure.

The name I want was de-reg’d a bit over 5yrs ago, so I feel that is just long enough so that there wouldn’t be anyone looking for the old company anymore. And the ABN was cancelled 3 years prior to that so they had probably stopped doing business for some time.

Michael, I wonder if you’re able to offer some advice on another technicality (I will describe here using made-up names to keep it simple):
    My current business structure is ABC Company Pty Ltd ATF Smith Family Trust (a Discretionary Trust). I find this a bit of an issue since bank accounts, etc all have the Trust name on them and when I setup accounts with suppliers and the like they all have the trust name on them too. The issue arises because I get a lot of goods drop-shipped to clients and the delivery docket will usually contain my trust name. I feel this is not as professional as I would like since customers see the Trust name (which contains my surname) when I would prefer they see just the business name.

When I set up the Discretionary Trust I went with the Smith Family Trust name format since I assumed this was the done thing and I didn’t realise you could have something without the words ‘Family Trust’ in it. Now that I’ve read about it I see there is no need for this.

So to overcome the aforementioned issue I wish to change both the Company name and the Trust name. So I will end up with something like Mickey Mouse Pty Ltd ATF Mickey Mouse Trust. Are you able to tell me what is required to change the Trust name? I was reading somewhere that it is not too hard to do but I was wondering do I have to go back through the original solicitor to do it, can I use a different solicitor, or indeed can I use a knowledgeable Accountant like yourself to do it? Any input you can give is gratefully received.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.