Home – New Forums Tech talk Question for all of the computer wiz’s out there…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    TheBusinessAccountant
    • Total posts: 43
    Up
    ::

Hi

I have a question which is probably very simple however I have searched and searched and can’t seem to work it out!!

I want to set up a remote connection from my laptop to my desktop computer so that when I am at a client’s premises, I can access my desktop using my laptop that I have with me, rather than having to load all of my software onto the laptop as well as the desktop.

I use Windows 7 on the desktop and Vista on the laptop. Any feedback to point me in the right direction would be very much appreciated!!!

Thanks.

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

Hey Linda, have you seen:

https://www.gotomypc.com
    https://www.logmein.com

bradzo
    • Total posts: 335
    Up

Hi Linda

I use UltraVNC.
    Open source.
    File transfer capabilities.
    And lots more.

http://www.uvnc.com/

TheBusinessAccountant
    • Total posts: 43
    Up

Thanks for those links. However I was actually after something a little bit different…let me explain. When I was consulting for another accounting firm, they allowed me to log in to there system from home by giving me a IP?? address and password. I then used that to log in to their system remotely without any other software required. I think it was called remote desktop or something along those lines.

Is that still available? It’s just that it was like logging in as if I was at work on-site rather than having to use external software.

Thanks again.

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up

Remote desktop connection is built into windows and is easy to use – in XP it’s under Accessories in the start menu and will be somewhere similar on Win 7.

HOWEVER the hard part of it is not the client end it’s the server end. Ie the connecting in is easy, the setting up of the main computer to allow connections can be a bit of work.

However if you check out this guide it may help you.
    http://4sysops.com/archives/how-to-setup-remote-desktop-with-windows-7/

Best of luck

Matt
    Marketing Web

FletcherTax
    • Total posts: 347
    Up

Chris & Brad

Sincere thanks for your suggestions. I was looking for this software and thought it didn’t exist!

You have no idea how glad I am that I found your posts!

Janna

Trish FCA
    • Total posts: 235
    Up

Hi Janna,

Can you please let me know how you go with this as I’m looking at doing the same thing.

Thanks,

Trish :-)

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

Be warned with RDP/RDC, you might need to setup some port fowarding with your router to be able to connect to your local PC.

Depends on the way your network is setup. That’s why I didn’t recommend it to start off with, haha!

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi there,

I wouldn’t recommend using Remote Desktop Connection software in your situation.

The main reason being it’s not secure.

To secure it, you really need to setup an encrypted connection before you use the software so no one can spy on you.

This can be a pain.

If you can (or know someone who can) setup a secure connection, say via a Virtual Private Network (VPN) then Remote Desktop is a viable, secure option.

Software like Go To PC gives you access to your machine over the internet and it is already secured!

This, I believe would be your best option.

regards

Raky
    • Total posts: 56
    Up

Howdy!

Just a quick note – in an office environment usually all machines will have a static IP (the IP will not change). At home depending on the type of connection you have with your ISP your IP will sometimes change (Dynamic IP address).

In case your IP will be changing in the future (the external IP of your Desktop machine) you may want to look into installing something like: http://www.dyndns.com/ to your Desktop machine. This will assign a hostname like “fletchertax.somehost.com” to your IP and will constantly update the hostname with your latest IP address.

This means anytime you want to connect to your desktop you’d just have to connect to the hostname instead of an IP address that may change all the time.

Ahhhhh I hope I haven’t caused too much confusion – feel free to buzz me if you require any further assistance.

Good luck!

Anonymous
    Up
    Raky, post: 35238 wrote:
    Howdy!

Just a quick note – in an office environment usually all machines will have a static IP (the IP will not change). At home depending on the type of connection you have with your ISP your IP will sometimes change (Dynamic IP address).

In case your IP will be changing in the future (the external IP of your Desktop machine) you may want to look into installing something like: http://www.dyndns.com/ to your Desktop machine. This will assign a hostname like “fletchertax.somehost.com” to your IP and will constantly update the hostname with your latest IP address.

This means anytime you want to connect to your desktop you’d just have to connect to the hostname instead of an IP address that may change all the time.

Ahhhhh I hope I haven’t caused too much confusion – feel free to buzz me if you require any further assistance.

Good luck!

FYI – This would be another issue automatically solved by Go To PC

Raky
    • Total posts: 56
    Up
    Intuitive, post: 35239 wrote:
    FYI – This would be another issue automatically solved by Go To PC

Very true – I like LogMeIn for it’s iPhone app.

Anonymous
    Up
    Raky, post: 35241 wrote:
    Very true – I like LogMeIn for it’s iPhone app.

Yep definitely a handy feature for the super-ultra lite-mobile user! :-)

soliddata
    • Total posts: 392
    Up

Hi Linda,

The question I would ask is why you did not want external software (cost, security etc)?

The answers that the others have given UI think show that logmein or gotomypc (or other similar things) offer the simplest and actually most secure remote access to your PC.

As Chris has mentioned, to set up remote access using the Windows server tools requires some technical skill to get right, and if you don’t get it right the potential for compromise is high.

I use Logmein, and it is recommended by Tim Ferris in the 4-Hour Work Week for exactly the purpose you are looking for.

Kevin

PerthIT
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

an easy solution (often used by accounting firms) is Hamachi client. It’s free and user friendly. Just google Hamachi.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.