Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Question for every business owner

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    LucyLu
    • Total posts: 12
    Up
    ::

When you, as a business owner, look for a bookkeeper what do you look for? What would make you leave your current bookkeeper?
    Also, if you are using bookkeeping service at the moment how did you find them and what do you love/hate about them?

If you are not using a bookkeeper can you please explain why not?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Lucy Lu

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

I don’t use a bookkeeper because I can do it myself.

Wendy :)

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

I don’t use a bookkeeper because I can do it myself.

Wendy :)

AdvancedPetSitting
    • Total posts: 357
    Up

My accountant does everything for me. At the end of each quarter I give him all my stuff and he deals with it and prepares my BAS. Works really well for me.

AdvancedPetSitting
    • Total posts: 357
    Up

My accountant does everything for me. At the end of each quarter I give him all my stuff and he deals with it and prepares my BAS. Works really well for me.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

It only takes 10-12 hours every three months, so it would seem like a decadent luxury to pay someone to do it.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

It only takes 10-12 hours every three months, so it would seem like a decadent luxury to pay someone to do it.

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi Lucy,

I don’t use a bookkeeper because I can do it myself; I have my accountant attend to end of year ‘stuff’ but do the rest myself during the year.

But if I was to use a bookkeeper – I would most likely locate them either by asking on this forum if anyone has any recommendations, or I would use Google to find someone local to me.

All the best,

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi Lucy,

I don’t use a bookkeeper because I can do it myself; I have my accountant attend to end of year ‘stuff’ but do the rest myself during the year.

But if I was to use a bookkeeper – I would most likely locate them either by asking on this forum if anyone has any recommendations, or I would use Google to find someone local to me.

All the best,

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up
    King, post: 114518 wrote:

I agree and also in the early years I don’t think you can really learn how your business ticks if you don’t get your hands dirty with the book keeping.

If you don’t understand the process that is all the more reason to learn while you still have a simple enterprise.

Last financial year my accountant (end of year tax only) overstated my income by nearly $50k. I was only able to spot this and get it corrected because I was intimate with the book keeping for the business. Otherwise I would have been happy thinking that I had a much more successful year than I really did and pay an extra $20k in tax for the delusion.

So many entrepreneurs get excited about the marketing when so much of the action is at the numbers.

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up
    King, post: 114518 wrote:

I agree and also in the early years I don’t think you can really learn how your business ticks if you don’t get your hands dirty with the book keeping.

If you don’t understand the process that is all the more reason to learn while you still have a simple enterprise.

Last financial year my accountant (end of year tax only) overstated my income by nearly $50k. I was only able to spot this and get it corrected because I was intimate with the book keeping for the business. Otherwise I would have been happy thinking that I had a much more successful year than I really did and pay an extra $20k in tax for the delusion.

So many entrepreneurs get excited about the marketing when so much of the action is at the numbers.

travelmaster
    • Total posts: 200
    Up

I do use a bookkeeper because it allows me to spend all of my time on what I do best – sell travel. The cost of hiring/using one every three months is insignificant comparing to what it would cost in time and money for me to figure it (bookkeeping) out for myself.
    How did I find one – through BNI. Can strongly recommend him.

travelmaster
    • Total posts: 200
    Up

I do use a bookkeeper because it allows me to spend all of my time on what I do best – sell travel. The cost of hiring/using one every three months is insignificant comparing to what it would cost in time and money for me to figure it (bookkeeping) out for myself.
    How did I find one – through BNI. Can strongly recommend him.

HammockFG
    • Total posts: 136
    Up

We don’t use a book keeper because a) we’re financially minded so it’s not too overwhelming & b) our needs are very simple – we don’t have to wade through invoices and reconciliation etc. If it ever got otherwise we would quickly pass it on.

We work with small businesses doing it themselves however and have in the past introduced them to bookkeepers – for which they have been extremely grateful. For these people, it seems they just never knew who to reach out to, or they started out small so felt they didn’t need it, and when their businesses grew and it became overwhelming, it was just a part of their routine.

I think if you can show them and make them realise how much work goes into it, and the time they are spending on that rather than on what they are better at doing and prefer doing, it’d be a winner. No-one we’ve ever referred on to a book keeper has been anything but pleased with their decision to do so!

HammockFG
    • Total posts: 136
    Up

We don’t use a book keeper because a) we’re financially minded so it’s not too overwhelming & b) our needs are very simple – we don’t have to wade through invoices and reconciliation etc. If it ever got otherwise we would quickly pass it on.

We work with small businesses doing it themselves however and have in the past introduced them to bookkeepers – for which they have been extremely grateful. For these people, it seems they just never knew who to reach out to, or they started out small so felt they didn’t need it, and when their businesses grew and it became overwhelming, it was just a part of their routine.

I think if you can show them and make them realise how much work goes into it, and the time they are spending on that rather than on what they are better at doing and prefer doing, it’d be a winner. No-one we’ve ever referred on to a book keeper has been anything but pleased with their decision to do so!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.