Home – New Forums Find the help you need Question regarding Trademark

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    J.Zkan
    • Total posts: 87
    Up
    ::

Hi!

Just a question, how long does it usually take to get your name/logo trademarked? I couldn’t find any information online, maybe i wasn’t searching right.

Any information is greatly appreciated!

J.Zkan

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Hi there

According to this thread, a couple of our well known Trademark experts reckon about 7-8months.

Hope this helps,

Robert

Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805
    Up
    J.Zkan, post: 239037, member: 85132 wrote:
    Hi!
    Just a question, how long does it usually take to get your name/logo trademarked? I couldn’t find any information online, maybe i wasn’t searching right. Any information is greatly appreciated!
    J.Zkan

Hi,

I hold a few trademarks and have used lawyers in the past, and last week applied for a new one on-line via the eServices portal. I used the HeadStart program through IP Australia and it’s crazy easy.

Part 1 – Initial application and pre-assessment, it takes about 10 minutes (pay part 1 fees – 2 Classes $240) – they reply in 5 working days with an initial criteria search to establish if it meets the criteria. You then have a short period to proceed to Part 2 (NOTE they are very strict on your time frames and they will have a report to you within 5 days and you must respond by their deadline)

Part 2 – Lodgement, after you receive notification within the 5 days you will need to complete Part 2 (pay part 2 fees – 2 classes $160) Takes about 10 minutes.

Part 3 – Examination – your application is examined and they will report to you within 4 weeks. If all passes you will go to the next step

Part 4 – Acceptance and enters an opposition period of 8 weeks.

These are the specific steps sent to me from IP Australia for my application, I am up to Part 3 :)

PS – I always suggest doing a TM search prior to any of this. Go to IP Australia and click on TM search, – Enter as Guest and type in your criteria.

J.Zkan
    Up

Thanks for the replies.

My only concern is if i could trademark my business name and logo together, just fear they will decline the trademark of the name! I will do the search on IP Australia and see how it goes.

Any more info on process, please feel free to add. Thanks again.

Snakeman
    Participant
    • Total posts: 329
    Up

Dear all, best case scenario is 7.5 months from application to registration.
    Also there are many different types of trademarks (logo (with or without words), word only and others.
    The gold standard is usually the “words only” ones, but they are usually hardest to register.
    Most people go online apply and get it all wrong – and then have a lot refused and/or useless trademarks registered.
    See someone who knows about these things BEFORE taking the plunge, e.g. Jacqui Pryor, who posts here a lot.

J.Zkan
    Up

Hi Snakeman,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, i have been talking with Jacqui Pryor, shes been great help!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.